Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which airport to transfer through in USA

Options
  • 07-03-2023 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

I’ve to go Indianapolis in summer and seems United and AA are the cheapest return but wondering which airport to transfer through and what’s time I should give. Assumption is bag checked through all the way. Prefer to do Dublin and usa as first airport so can do the whole immigration so make things quicker on other side

I’m getting options of Boston, Newark and Chicago on way out with 90 minutes to 3 hours layover and then similar on way home. Not much difference in the price but AA seem to be a little cheaper from United. AA offering some EI flights but can’t get same price with AA.

Have silver status with EI so was hoping to keep punching points in by they’re nearly double the price

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Newark for me. Though if you're tied for time on either end, O'Hare offers more rerouting options should you hit any delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Are you planning to hire a car?

If you are, why don't you just buy a non-stop to Chicago then drive?

The journey is a little over three hours, most of it on an Interstate, and any connecting flight will take at least that long by the time you allow for a layover.

Driving also has the added bonus that a delay won't leave you stranded.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭x567

AA are excellent for connections in my experience, particularly at their main hubs; and their app can be really helpful for real-time gate info and connection routes and estimated times. You should have sensible options with them via PHL, ORD, and maybe CLT.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

IAD is an option, you'd land at the same concourse you'd be leaving from so no major schelpping around the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If you fly via ORD, be aware there is a airside bus transfer from T5 to T1 or T3 goes from Gate M13 in T5 this avoids the horrific security queues. T1/2/3 are linked airside. This is unknown to many and its operation in the past has been patchy but its back

ORD to IND will be a regional jet, but they will gate check cabin baggage so no real risk there, probably UA easiest but it will be some regional carrier on behalf of UA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Booked AA via ORD. T5 -> T3. On way back it says t3 - t3 but I guess that could change to t5 but will see. Both ua and aa was same price to the euro

thanks for feedback

• Avoid Newark Liberty like the plague, a hub of United. Woeful place IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Advertisement