Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Did my own exit poll, our household and 2 neighbouring homes, 9 votes in total 6-3 split in favour of NO NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭theVersatile

"As referenced above, it is foreseeable that the amended Article 41.1.1 will be relied upon in the context of immigration. However, in my view, it is unlikely that it will have any particularly significant effect in this area...  

... [T]he law in this area is already based on durable interpersonal relationships beyond marriage and any change to the Irish Constitution definition of the Family will therefore be of limited significance." 

No implications on immigration. Despite what Twitter/X would have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Turnout over 50% in many places

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The AGs letter literally says that issues will be more heavily litigated in the area of immigration and surrogacy. But sure, what would they know.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭suvigirl

'the law in this area is already based on durable inter personal relationships beyond marriage and any change to the Irish Constitutional definition of the family will therefore by of limited significance.

In summary, the state can continue to define which family members may benefit from particular immigration schemes'

seems fairly easy to understand.

You need to read the letter fully. Don't rely on twitter for your information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭techdiver

I don't necessarily buy into the thought process that those of us who have been on this site for 15 - 20 years and always held liberal views, have now somehow become conservative or right wing. I have still got the exact same broad societal views that I've always had.

What the "new left" present is a drift from normal liberal values into idealists lunacy. We haven't moved, their barometer of what is "liberal" has. Also a big problem they have is they don't argue in good faith. They throw tantrums and name call and brand people that don't 100% conform to their world view. Wonder who else historically did that?? 🤔

The laughable thing is they go after people that agree with 95% of what they do all because of the 5% difference. Instead of bringing people together it polarises the rift further. Ironically it's from the same hymn sheet as the MAGA crowd in America.

I also don't agree that voting against this ammendments today was "conservative" or "right wing". Many voted against as they disliked the wording (I would have voted yes to both of the wording was better and I know many others who feel the same). I have voted in favour of every liberal and progressive ammendment since I started voting. I reject anyone that says I'm conservative or right wing because I voted this down today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Is there going to be an exit poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No

And very few tallies nationally either so unlikely to hear anything until about 5pm

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Read the doc in it's entirety. Page 2 second last paragraph of the letter and fill your boots. He literally says exactly what I said he said.

By the way, why did you assume I only read some twitter comments on it? What made you think I didn't read all 10 pages of the doc?

It is, thank you for worrying so much about my comprehension skills. Now, try reading the entire letter.

I did and in capable of understanding that more litigation only impacts courts resources, and not the law.

And yet you completely missed the part where they mention it will be more heavily litigated in the area of immigration and surrogacy. Almost like you didn't want to believe what you read.

Where do you think precedent's are set exactly? The legislature write the bills but the courts determine what they mean with respect to the constitution, hence the litigation part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Downlinz

The vast majority of people who were on boards 15-20 years ago have moved on long ago to Reddit, Discord or various forms of social media. It's always going to be the innately conservative who stay behind the longest, reluctance to change and no desire to move and integrate with new people. Look at any thread on climate change or Israel and it's blatantly obvious what the political views of the overwhelming majority are here.

Irish society has changed a lot in the past 20 years and what being progressive or liberal along with it. Calling your own personal outlook as "normal" while others are "idealist lunatics" just sounds like the kind of tantrums you mention.

You sound in denial that being conservative is somehow an insult or beneath you, if the glove fits wear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

You claimed the AG admitted the amendment would have an impact on immigration law. He clearly didn't say that, in fact he said the opposite, he said he felt it would be unlikely it would have a significant effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

A higher turnout favours a yes vote.

And you completely missed the way the letter is written.

He identifies possible issues, immigration being one, then continues to explore those issues, by examining the law (current EU law) and case law ( Pervaiz v minister for justice etc) , he then applies those laws and case laws and concludes that it

'is unlikely that it will have any particular significant affect in this area'

then stating this

'the law in this area is already based on durable inter personal relationships beyond marriage and any change to the Irish Constitutional definition of the family will therefore by of limited significance.

In summary, the state can continue to define which family members may benefit from particular immigration schemes'

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭1992ChainGang

Just back from working at a station in South Dublin, very busy at my table about 50% but less on others. Most people surprised there was 2 referendums, they thought the second ballot was a copy of the first.

Such a long days work, good fun though with the workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭techdiver

So your political affiliation is defined by which internet forum you frequent? That is quite the leap. You do know that boards is more than just politics.

Btw, I use both reddit and discord also. I must have missed the memo that I must stay in a specific lane. You see that is exactly what is part of the problem with modern discourse. Pigeon holing. Whatever happened to fluidity of views based on what you think is right or wrong. This polarisation and categorisation is exactly what is driving a wedge in this discourse.

Back to today. There is nothing conservative or right wing about calling bullshit on terrible wording in a constitutional ammendment. This is not like following a sports team where you pick an ideological side and stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,252 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Are we allowed celebrate Mother's Day if this passes

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CoastalCork

Higher turnout is protest No vote

No passion on yes side its defo a resounding No

The futher left you go, the more things appear to be on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

I have always been in the centre-right. I was a member of Fine Gael for nearly 30 years. I cancelled my membership a few years back because I don't recognise what that party has become.

I think back to what Leo Varadkar stood for when he became Taoiseach in 2017. His main message was that he would be the voice for middle Ireland, the people who got up for work every morning, the coping class in his own words. He seems to have tossed all those ideals away.

We should be working to improve the lives of ordinary people in a tangible way, instead we're stoking division with these pointless culture wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If it doesn't, zoos, playgrounds and soft play areas will be overrun as parents try to come up with ways of distracting their children from the bitter disappointment.

Isn't that right Helen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

is there any exit polls anywhere? cant seem to find anything

Advertisement