Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland Bill

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Flinty, that’s last year’s weather news. This is this year’s:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Lol.

I just think its a very happy confluence for the energy providers to have issued so many unusually high estimated bills for THIS billing period considering the context of what's going around it, energy credits etc. I don't think the lag in wholesale rates really explains it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

After three emails about my bill they finally came back to me and told me that I had got a smart meter fitted and when they checked the old meter the bills had been self assessed by them and not read so they charged me for the old meter difference and that's where the high bill came from, they also told me that they could have given me a bigger bill but settled on the one I got, They are constantly sending me emails to sign up for the smart meter to get different tariffs and cheaper electricity now I heard that its not a good idea to do this as they try to put you on pay as you go or pay monthly, anyone any pointers on the smart meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,037 ✭✭✭✭muffler

So they told you that a smart meter was fitted and now they want you to sign up to a plan for it. Were you not asked for consent to fit it in the first instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

No guy just knocked on the door and told us they were replacing all old meters with smart meters knew nothing about it to be honest could I have refused it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

You should have received a letter in the post a few weeks prior and that if you wished to process that the electricity would be disconnected for about 15mins while they swapped out the meter. Also if you meter was inside the house someone would have to be present to grant them access.

That said I don't think there's any advantage to keeping the old meter and refusing the smart meter especially if you've a standard 24hr meter. You have have the smart meter and just not switch to a smart meter plan which can be more expensive depending on usage. Once you have the smart meter some time you can get a breakdown of your day, peak and night usage and determine from that if there's any savings to be had from a smart meter plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I dont have a have a smart meter and could not log into my online account.

I rang with phone number on the bill and have gotten through a number of times and got my old email address updated and can now log into my accounts and fill in meter readings.

Paying E108 so i dont think switching would be cheaper on twin accounts.

Still have good credits in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭NotInventedHere

I suggest everybody that is in stable living situation should move to paying your utilities by estimated standing order regardless of discounts if you can. I know it's not for everybody but it has saved my ass during this escalating bills situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Yes I got a bill recently and also was shocked. I called their customer service to get advice.

One said I could go to Home Electric Plus Plan: 5.5% reduction in unit cost and 100euro credit. 12 month contract.

Went on their website and did not see any plan called Home Electric Plus. And saw no mention of any 100 euro credit anywhere.

Will have to think about next step.

Worst of all was I could not understand the agent as her English was not at all clear. She also was not understanding me at any level. She did not really engage with my concerns. Just trotted off stuff. Then the line went dead. I called back and asked to speak to someone whose first language was English. Got through to a man with a Dublin accent accent. He spoke too fast and he was really badly trained. It was like he was just off the street and took no time to listen to my concerns at all. He did not even have the correct information to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Hooked

I am a demon when it comes to my ESB bill.

I make sure and read the meter and upload it a few days in advance of the bill. I check units used vs prev. month and having been on 30% discount when we moved - I hounded them after the 12 months were up and managed to get 10% off for this year. I also refused the smart meter...

My next door neighbour was chatting to me the weekend saying he nearly fell over when he got his bill. It was 660! I told him not to ask what mine was (in jest). He asked. I answered. 140 euro. "But that was after the 200 credit, ya?"" No says I... 140 was the total bill. And we've the same sized house.

The difference? There's 4 of them AT HOME ALL DAY - with dryer going, oven on, dishwasher, constant showers, etc... We (wife and I) never owned a dishwasher so we don't use it. We air fry or slow cook (oven is rarely on). Dryer gets very occasional use! And I'm showering a lot less at home as I've use of a gym after astro soccer 3 times a week. We are not in the house 8am - 5/6pm, 5 days a week.

TLDR?

I'm afraid the more you use... the more it costs! And with the way they're charging - it's only getting worse!

• Advertisement
Advertisement