Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitted or not fitted?

Options
  • 08-03-2023 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭

Just curious how many have fitted clubs in their bag and how many?

I was fitted in Foregolf in 2014, haven't played enough since then to purchase new clubs so haven't been fitted in almost 9 years. So quite possible I'd be recommended something different now

Have driver, 5 wood, hybrid, irons from Foregolf

Wedges and putter not fitted but seem to work fine for me

So 10 clubs in total are fitted

For reference handicap index is 4.2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Quahog217

Every club in my bag is fitted, if you play a lot I really think its worth the investment. I did just buy a hybrid on done deal to test out and it really isn't for me. Buying off the shelf is pure guesswork. For ref Index 2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I got back into golf in 2021 and got fit in Foregolf last year for irons and hybrid. Tried out drivers and fairways but nothing beat what I had by enough to justify it. Bought vokeys off the rack in 2021 and was happy with them so didn't want to change. This winter I got fit for Driver, 3 wood, driving iron and did a putter fitting separately so with the exception of wedges i've been fit into everything (although didn't actually buy a putter as he recommended the exact type of putter i already had). To be honest I didn't need to get fit for any of those things during winter, just did it as I could afford it and wanted to eliminate any excuses for my game. The 3 wood and driving iron have been great so far and I do think they'll make a difference this year but not much and I probably would have been fine with what I had.

If you were fitted in 2014 i think your irons are probably still fine unless your club speed has gone up or down dramatically. The driver and fairway are probably where you'll see the biggest benefit, not in distance but in dispersion. The newer clubs are much more consistent across the face but if you stripe an older club and a newer one you won't see much if any difference in distance. At your skill level that could make all the difference between shaving a shot or two off the handicap or staying as you are. If it was me i'd say try out the new drivers and see what the results are but don't expect an extra 30 yards carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

Ya I'm interested in buying new irons but caught in 2 minds.

Cost of a brand new set looks high. I'm tempted to try something 2nd hand for a third of the price. But then I could end up constantly doubting myself. I roughly know my specs, standard length, 2 degrees flat, shaft weight around 105 grams. Current irons fine but traditional lofts, would like something a bit more forgiving and stronger lofted

As you said it's a good investment, probably takes away a lot of doubts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

I changed irons and was fitted for them last year. Highly recommend it, BUT only if done by a good fitter. Very impressed with Concept Golf in Blanchardstown (no connection to them).

My driver was fitted-ish back in 2016 (really it was more of a Demo than a fitting) and is possibly due an upgrade this year, but I still like it so maybe not. I'll definitely get a fitting when I'm back playing enough golf in the spring/early summer just to see if there's a performance benefit to be had from changing.

Fairways are off the shelf but seem to work well so we'll leave well enough alone for now.

Would love to get a wedge fitting but being a lefty not many places have the full range of lofts/grinds. I'll go to a range with a trackman in the spring and do my gapping and I have a fair idea of the grinds so I'll make a call on it then. For me it will come down to "do I add something with more loft after my 56 degree ?" I could go 50, 54, 58 but, for me, 54 comes out a little too fast when chipping, and 58 isn't really a true LW, and I'd be dropping my favourite club, my 56, for a better "on paper" solution rather than real world. Might end up with a 60 for bunkers and emergencies or just stop at 56.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭coillcam

You could try a fitting day for an easy punt but you'd be stuck with one brand and a few iron options. Otherwise, I think you could spend €30-€50 somewhere reputable and try all the brand/shaft combos.

I'd guess that player distance irons would probably be what you're looking at. Forgiving, stronger loft and all the tech with a more slightly more compact head. Something like TM P770 or Mizuno Pro 923. You could also pick up a Srixon ZX5/7 or Cobra Forged Tec set 2nd hand and get a builder to bend the lie angle to suit (forged heads).

The only other thing to consider is if a 4i/5i will be your lowest iron given the stronger loft/distance. My 5i is 24deg so I play 20deg driving iron instead of 21deg set 4i. It might affect gapping or overlap with your hybrid but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Fitted for 3-PW in 2018 off 22HC. Still using them off 9 now and happy with them still.

Teaching pro fitted me on the driver in 2019, probably due a change due to swing changes.

Wedges I ordered during lockdown but not fit for and not super happy with them either, would really like a proper fitting there.

Putter not fitted.

Irons were a good fitting, I was very upright in my old clubs and heavy, went to a flatter set and lighter. Full confidence in them where as I used to change a lot buying second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I was fitted for driver and it really made a difference as some Drivers/Shafts were spinning too much for my swing. I was also fitted for irons which i think is very important. I've never been fitted for fairway woods or hybrids but i'd really love a proper fitting for fairway woods / hybrids.

I've never been fitted for wedges either but i have experimented a lot with different wedges so settled on 54 & 58 Vokeys which i really like. Putters are very unique imo i need to like the look and feel/balance of them, sometimes a putter will just feel right in your hands.

Advertisement