Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EWI Detail Challenge

Options
  • 08-03-2023 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

I have a bow window a bit like the bay window in the attached photo. The curved lintel above the window is similar to the photo and extends almost to the fascia board with a gap of about 50mm at the closest point.

I'm due to have EWI fitted this year and the company has so far

been a bit vague about what they will do here.

I'd like to know what are the options for dealing with this so I can discuss with them.

The remainder of the house is due to have 150mm EWI fitted. This window is in a ground floor extension with pitched roof.

My thoughts on options:

1. Fit 50mm XPS on this face of the extension bringing the EWI right to the fascia
    2. Some kind of flat roof extension to allow 150mm EPS be fitted

Suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Not an east detail.

Roof / soffit alteration to allow adequate soffit space for 150mm ewi and the ewi to go past the soffit to join with the attic insulation maintaining sufficient eaves ventilation to cold roof space.

Press your ewi contractor now on details. Don't leave it until they have started works on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Thanks Mick

I’ve already had the discussion with them about going past the soffit to meet with attic insulation. New soffit and fascia will be fitted so I don’t think it will be too much work to extend the roof to allow for 150mm EPS.

I can see limited scope for extending the roof and maintaining the pitch with a resultant drop in height of the soffit/fascia. But that would mean extending the roof on all 4 sides.

The simpler option is to extend just over the window with a flat roof. I’m leaning towards this as it is only about 20cm.

Like this photo but not nearly as deep. And route the gutter similarly.

Post edited by hesker on

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Remove bow?

New windows just fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭dathi

kingspan kooltherm k5 ? it has a lower thermal conductivity than xps so reduced thickness. is that a vent for a suspended timber floor in the picture? if so pretty pointless externally insulating house if you haven't addressed the cold air circulating under the floor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I don't think that's a photo of the op's house, just used it as an example .

Yeah. Not my house just similar. No air bricks in mine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Advertisement