Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting planning breaches in Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 08-03-2023 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

I know you can do it here

and it says it's confidential

Your name and address is required for verification purposes and to keep you informed of any statutory notices served and of the outcome of investigations. The identity of the complainant is confidential, in line with section 35 of the Freedom of Information Act 1997 - 2014.

but has anyone done it?

Unsavoury family near me have put up an extension that obviously breaches planning so I want to make sure it is confidential

I'm not going into details just to keep it vague.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Councils manage that data carefully, its a very common situation for them. However, depending on how far the enforcement complaint goes, you may be asked to swear an affidavit and those are available to the other party.

Are you in any doubt about the extension being in breach? In general 40 sq.m single storey extensions can be built without permission. If its larger than that, is two storeys or is built onto a party wall, then you're probably correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Thanks for the reply (I knew you'd know about it!)

How would it get to an affidavit stage and what's an example of what I'd need to swear (if I went that far).

To me it's an black & white case of planning breach.

What's to stop be putting down a false name & address with a burner email address for the updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What do you feel is in breach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

I've said in the OP that I'm not going into details

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Why would someone need to do an affidavit?

If its a planning breech, then it is the council that send the warning letter followed by an enforcement letter. There is no "complaint by" mention.

Only if you made an objection to any planning retention would there be any public record.

The bad news is council planning can work very slowly and it is easy to string something like this out for a few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Affidavit wouldn't be required in the first instance, but it may be later depending on if the party at issue appeals a decision against them and it goes to Court.

And yes, it will take years, thats almost a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I've made a few reports over the years, to DLR and other Councils, and they've generally resolved the matter over a few months. In some cases, they've gotten back to me with reasons why they can't enforce the issue, such as the seven year period issue. They're pretty good for issuing a formal response letter, though it can take some time to do it. There's never been any suggestion about having to file an affidavit.

Advertisement