Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Put them back in their box. The Scotland v Ireland build up thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Scotland with two changes to the backrow that started against France. Seems they're going for extra mobility to match our threats.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Scotland: 15 Stuart Hogg, 14 Kyle Steyn, 13 Huw Jones, 12 Sione Tuipulotu, 11 Duhan van der Merwe, 10 Finn Russell, 9 Ben White, 8 Jack Dempsey, 7 Jamie Ritchie, 6 Matt Fagerson, 5 Jonny Gray, 4 Richie Gray, 3 Zander Fagerson, 2 George Turner, 1 Pierre Schoeman

Replacements: 16 Fraser Brown, 17 Jamie Bhatti, 18 Simon Berghan, 19 Scott Cummings, 20 Hamish Watson, 21 Ali Price, 22 Blair Kinghorn, 23 Chris Harris

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Thoughts on Healy being on bench instead of Kilcoyne? Thought killer did well last time out when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

One thing I like to do is try to make a combined 23 of the teams.

While Scotland, like many teams playing good rugby, are much better than the sum of their parts... I don't think there's a single player in their 23 I'd take over their Irish counterpart.

I don't want this to sound like a callous Irish fan being over confident. I'm looking at the teams as objectively as possible and I just can't see it.

Probably you could say VDM shades Lowe for the 11 spot.

Maybe White for Murray?

Richie Gray for Hendy?

Watson for Conan? (Watson was extremely ordinary for Edinburgh being fairly well outplayed by MOTM Scott Penny)

I don't think there is any Scot that gets a slam dunk pick over any of our 23 to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Kilcoyne has done fine, but Healy was always likely to come back in once fit.

No harm to get a look at him anyway, he's at an age where ability can start to decline rapidly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I think Duhan walks in to our team anyway. After that there are three or four more of the starting 15 that would be marginal either way (1, 5, 9).

I'd also take Watson and Kinghorn on the bench over our equivalent options. Bhatti and Price would be close enough also.

Having said all that though, I'd have us clearly ahead in about 10 of the starting positions and four of the bench spots. If we keep 15 on the park we should be winning this with a few points to spare.

Can't say I'd take Shoe over Porter nor Grey sr. over Ryan at these stages of their careers tbh.

I do like the cut of Whites jib and I think he could push Murray close in a head to head.

I thought about Kinghorn because I like him as an athlete. But he's little more than a pretender as a 10 option. Especially at international level. He's like a deer in headlights and has no reliable ability to kick off the tee.

Not only that Finn Russell has played the full 80 in every single game so you'd be comparing Kinghorn against some of our outside backs. And he doesn't get near to any of them for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

My mistake, I meant Henderson in the second row, not Ryan. Ryan's the first pick of all the second rows involved for me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I really don't see it with DVDM - He's a big unit and looks flash going forward but I really don't see the rest of his game being up to all that much.

For me he's the epitome of the flat track bully.

Lowe has the better all round game and contributes to the game more, likewise with Hansen.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I think Finn Russell will Finn Russell a few times and create some magic scoring opportunities for the Scots, but he will also likely Finn Russell a few times to create great opportunities for us.

Overall our team is stronger at finishing our own and defending against opposition attacks. We have a great team, players back in, momentum and a very strong team spirit. Ireland by 2 scores.

• Advertisement

A quote that stuck with me was Rob Kearney after the loss in Murrayfield in 2017.

He said how they "let Finn Russell play in a dinner suit"

I remember how well he pulled the strings that day and we just sort of... let him. I think we underestimated him a bit that day.

Given how mobile our pack is an how well our backrow is balanced I don't think he will be getting such luxuries this time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

VDM might be a better finisher than Lowe but that’s about it. Lowe has far more influence on a game.

Lowe is much more of a tactical option than VDM. For example his kicking game is invaluable to Ireland. Having said that, he's not going to beat 8 defenders in scoring from the halfway line like VDM did against England.

The Racing game in Paris gives a good insight into it I think.

Leinster hosed them and Russell was largely irrelevant for the entire game - He had one moment of brilliance where he broke the line and offloaded to Wade for a try but otherwise he did absolutely nothing all game.

Ross Byrne was head and shoulders the better 10 that day.

But in the media afterwards all they could talk about was Russells "Magic" even in defeat blah blah blah.

I'll always take a player that delivers 7/10 all game for every game over a guy who has a few moments of 11/10 along with large blocks of 3/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Completely agree. Deny VdM a platform and he's just some fella hanging out on the tramline.

If Lowe doesn't see any service coming his way, he'll feckin well go and take some.

I said before the France game, that Ireland would embarrass the French. I think its fair enough to say thats what happened, certainly compared to the ambitions of the French on the day.

I don't think that Ireland will necessarily embarrass the Scots tomorrow, as they seem to have a pretty realistic idea of whats coming to face them. I do think however, that Ireland could well set back their strategic plan by months, if not years, such is the schooling we will give them.

Scotland 17-40 Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'd take VDM. That's it. Sexton over Russell and Murray over White.

Disappointed that Healy gets back in. Kilcoyne has been good. There's McCloskey dropped also! They both did well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

ChatGPT and I will be in the Munster thread if anyone is looking for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

There’s great confidence in our backs now but if we undergo some mild turbulence in the first twenty the comments will as usual take an impressive dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

It says a lot for our depth that guys like McCloskey and Kilcoyne find themselves outside the 23 considering the form they've shown. They'll be back without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Hard to believe that Leinster only have 17 of the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

I fully expected Ireland to smash the Scotch by 25 points or more. A real drubbing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'd be more confident of a victory if Beirne were available. He's one of the best in the world at poaching opposition ball at the breakdown. Scotland do a lot of damage with quick ruck ball so we'll need POM, Porter and Doris to really step up today.

I'm not quite as confident about Ireland keeping Russell out of the game either. I've seen some mentions of Leinster doing a job on him in the Champions Cup games, but that's not how I remember it. He had three or four moments of magic across both games which led to trys. A few brain farts as well, but what really let Racing down was their pack.

They were underpowered in the first game and not fit enough to last the pace in the second. Scotland won't have those same issues. Russell will have more to work with. If we can overpower and outwork Scotland up front I'm hopeful of a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

as much of a loss as he is to Ireland his absence is going to be very detrimental to Munster.

Henderson is very capable of doing a job, he will be better for his start in Rome and the chance of seeing Baird getting a run is a huge opportunity for him and the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Racing have a better pack than Scotland imo, he's not going to have an easier ride today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Barring the usual red card caveats I just can't past an Ireland win today probably quite comfortably, across the pitch we just are a much more rounded team and better in every area of the game. Can't say I would have a single Scot in the team v the Irish starting 15. They are improving but still finding their way. The game v France was over at 19-0 and all we have seen is a win over an atrocious Welsh team and the worst England team I can think of in recent years.

Come on Ireland !!

Advertisement