Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair Use Policy

Options
  • 08-03-2023 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the state of play regarding Fair Use Policy with the different ISPs.

Are they still on 2TB, but softly applied?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I have been transferring a lot of data from a cloud drive to an home based unraid server, I have transferred about 18TBs in the last five weeks and haven't heard a thing from Vodafone 1GB FTTH

So guess the FUP isn't enforced any more

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭EarWig

I was wondering because 2TB has been around for quite a while now. Arguably, it's getting outdated.

I'm with SKY and they state 2TB, but I'm not sure whether it's for real.

It IS a constraint for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭RobiePAX

Yeah I remember one of major providers literally threatens in ToS that they will cut you off without warning and you'll be liable for termination fee if you go over fair usage policy on their "unlimited internet".

Eir used to have 1TB cap. If you went over they'd charge you €100. They changed this policy but I'm unsure if they removed it all together or if they raised the cap to something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭EarWig

Digiweb spells it out clearly.

https://digiweb.ie/fair-usage-policy/

Is 3tb the new norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭_ptashek_

I've been shifting well over 2TB/month many a time (up AND down), over the past decade and have never heard from my ISP. People work from home, or run online businesses, data intensive social media channels, consume streaming media with movies in 4K coming in at 10GB+ a pop, stream backups to cloud providers from their phones, laptops and local storage etc. IMO, any provider actually still enforcing a data cap is detached from the reality of how data heavy modern society has become.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

As far as I know you can download as much as you like on Vodafone they don't enforce the caps and have never heard of anyone getting charged for going over the cap. Eir removed their cap years ago as long as you went for a new contract, there can't be that many people on Eir left on their original 2016/2017 plans, most would have got a new deal/contract since and can download as much as you want without any worries.

Digiweb have a 3tb fair usage policy but again I have never heard of anyone being charged or disconnected for going over the limit. Sky and Pure Telecom have fair usage policys but again i've never heard of customers on those networks being charged or disconnected. The only provider I have heard that up to recently keeps a very close eye on customers usage is Imagine and that's a wireless service.

Advertisement