Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data transfer to new Mac

Options
  • 08-03-2023 7:59pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Recently purchased a new Macbook Air M2. I'm trying to figure out the best way to transfer stuff across. Time Machine or Migrant Assistant are the obvious choices. The reason I'm posting, though, is about cloud stuff. I use One Drive and I'm wondering if this will be seamless or will it have to re-sync everything? I've no real issue if that's the case. However, for some reason I seem to have OneDrive-Personal (Archive) also, which is located on Mac HD - users - me - OneDrive-Personal (Archive). I wonder if there's a danger deleting this of losing everything...if this is distinct from the OneDrive folder. Similarly, I have Dropbox and Dropbox (Old).

Have a fair bit of Spring cleaning to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Let me know how you get on as I will be doing this next Monday after my new MacBook Pro arrives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Had something written before your response. Must not have saved it. Mine came via China - Hong Kong - Germany - Ireland. DHL said they tried to deliver, but no response. They certainly didn't phone and no knock on the door, luckily the post office is a drop off location. I was quite taken by the midnight colour at first, opted to stick with silver.

Yesterday, I did a Time Machine back up...starting from scratch after wiping it the external HD. Hadn't heard of APFS prior to that. Took a while to back up about 240GB (I think). Started with Migration Assistant before 5:30pm today. Got some food and watched an episode of Netflix. It was estimating about 3 hours 18 to transfer. Checked after watching Netflix and it said about 25 minutes. Then about 18 and I was typing on it at about 7:05pm.

Have a dashcam video to edit in FCP. Will see how that goes. Getting the usual sync issues with OneDrive files, will have to look into that. It's saying I don't have Rosetta. I tried to started the Zoom app and it prompted an installation thing which I didn't fully read, so said not and was getting a blank dialogue box thing. Restarted sorted that. Gave some message at the start, probably an Apple ID thing, about TBO's iMac already being a machine, so it's calling this one TBO's iMac 2. I'll edit that later. I restarted and it's looking for iCloud again. I've never used FileVault encryption, so can't comment.

Smooth enough process, it seems. Touch ID is pretty responsive. Camera is a decent upgrade to what I've been working from.

My MacBook Pro came from the UK and I was asked which DHL hub I wanted it delivered to. Luckily there is one around 5 minutes walk from around my gaff.

I have to get a usb c to usb b adaptor as my time machine backup is on an external drive and that has a usb b connection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The adapter I bought in Select only cost €15.

• Advertisement

My new Mac is working great. Time Machine is a life saver an d it took less than 2 hours to migrate my Time Machine backup to my new Mac..

One Drive issue was straightforward. A folder had / because it was a date which OD doesn't like. All sorted now.

Connected the mouse from my iMac. Still figuring out how to get the right click to work, if not using the mouse.

My old MacBook Pro needed a mouse as I could not fully use the trackpad. The trackpad on my new MacBook Pro is so easy to use that I can't see myself using a mouse again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Can I jump in on this thread please? I'm currently waiting for my new Mac to arrive having being a life long Android/ Windows user to date. I've some personal files, lots of photos and some other bits and pieces which I need to hang onto.

My question is how do I transfer this work across from my Window's laptop?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Copy them onto an external hard drive, the same as you would between two Windows machines. Just ensure that the drive is formatted as ex-FAT and there will be no compatibility issues.

Alternatively use OneDrive which is compatible with Macs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Thats great thank you. I've an external drive and have done that with Windows PCs before so that's great 👍.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

On reflection, you should have had these backed up anyway!!! See it as an opportunity!

Couldn't communicate with a helper application

I'm only trying to open photos. Very odd.

Got onto Apple support. Partly solved it, but not really as it's happening again.

Also having an issue with One Drive. Can't sign into it properly. It says One Drive already exists on this Mac. When I try to select use the existing folder nothing happens, so now I can't open certain Word docs, etc.

That, and I'm prompted for an old work email I no longer use every time the machine starts up for iMessage. /shrug

Support recommended reinstalling Mac OS, which I've done. Made no difference.

Advertisement