Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New (Climbing) Bike Advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Jeez that last bike is a disgrace, the frames a write off. Feel like flagging it as dangerous or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

No, not in Ireland. I should have clarified that I was referring to 20/30/40km descents abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Leaving aside the fact that both are in Co Meath, they are very short descents and not particularly 'technical'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the most technical descent from bellewstown would be bellewstown bridge, past the quarry. but it's an only 120m drop IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Well, I've done 2 Marmottes and spent 5 summer weeks in the alps climbing and descending every day and, for me, it was not an issue. It's a remote possibility in extreme circumstances and very poor technique, is all it is.

Disk brakes would be a better alright for long steep hairpin descents but that's not to say rim brakes are bad, just not as good, and the rim bike will be lighter for the climb.

My overriding memory of Marmotte 22 on the Glandon was of a disk braker zoom by me into a hairpin, fail to stop and go straight on into the trees! 😁

Post edited by fat bloke on

• Advertisement
Advertisement