Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little bit of snow and everything closes down. What a joke? What if it snowed like in California?

Options
  • 09-03-2023 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

We would be fecked.

They really do blow it all out of proportion. I am glad it has not snowed where I am. Its a little bit if rain so not so bad but Coldish.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's the wrong kind of Snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,985 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

What has closed down? I've just heard that some schools might if the conditions are unsafe and that there will be disruption to transport in some places.

We get so little snow here that it doesn't make financial sense to buy, maintain and store enough snow ploughs, and to keep crews on standby, to clear all routes when it snows.

It'll all be over in a day or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

California length is 1200km s to n, so the top bit has a different climate to the south bit.

Ireland 220km s to n for comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

Everything closes down?

Nobody told the dozen or so places I’ve been today that were definitely open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Getting between 6 and 12 inches of snow here today. Working away watching it fall. Will get off work at 4 jump in the car and drive home. Driveway was salted yesterday evening so I didbnt have to do it today. From the house cameras it’s still free from snow. If it’s very bad, the plow guy will come at 7am and plow the driveway, roads will be all cleared between 4am and 7am (country living here).

when home, the council throw down a bit of salt but never plow… don’t know if they even have plows..

we are used to it here… local contractors have the equipment to assist. In Chicago, the mayor was thrown out for not keeping the roads open in a massive blizzard quite a few years ago.

it’s an unusual event in Ireland so understandable up to a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

its a rare enough occurance in fairness so i can understand the lack of preparation. where i now live gets snow every year and they are equally underprepared despite it being a much more regular problem

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - This can be discussed in the Weather forum op

https://www.boards.ie/categories/weather

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement