Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Townhouse - no mgmt company

Options
  • 10-03-2023 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a townhouse that has no management company in place. There's less than 10 units in the building, each has their own door access and shared car park for the block. Any potential risks (other than the obvs of having to clear the weeds myself 😅) i.e. getting a mortgage or house insurance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

At a minimum, someone needs to maintain the car park. If a giant pot hole emerges, who fixes it? If someone trips and falls in the car park, who is liable?

Is there block and public liability insurance in place?

I assume there will me nobody available to complete the MUD questionnaire so you don't know what kind of problems you are buying into.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Jemm

As far as I know there isn't anything in place. It seems they came together to paint the building a few times over the years but from what the EA is saying there isn't anything else in place

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You won't get a mortgage without building insurance. If you can get building insurance ll should be well.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 d mc

Interesting. I have a 2 bed apartment / duplex in DL.

No common areas - every unit is located above a commercial unit but we all have our own door access at street level.

But when I last tried to get insurance they advised me I need to contact management company and get block insurance.

Which is a balls. as there is no management company.

All they could offer was contents insurance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement