Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotland v Ireland match Thread by. chat GPT.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭irelandrover

If Murray was that detrimental to the way we play then Farrel wouldn't play him.

Of course it's possible that everyone else including the Irish head coach is wrong and you are right, but I have my doubts about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

At a loss to understand why anyone is continuing to argue the toss here. Murray hits ruck, has a look around, waits, has another look and then passes. JGP picks up ball and fires it out.

If you can't see this today I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

if sheehan & kelleher are out who backs up herring ? , i know ulster are very high on tom stewart and he was called up to the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

"up there with the France and New Zealand wins" I heard Hugh Cahill say on comms today.

I think it's quite a valid opinion that anyone thinking this was one of our best wins of all time, is talking through their hoop.

I think people saying this are just saying this to try to make out like this grand slam was a tough one. The win v France was great, but it's been the only challenge. We'll beat england by 20+ points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Mark my words on this one.

England know they cant beat us. Their only chance of winning is to be dirty and over aggressive, expect late hits, pushing and shoving, filth at the breakdown and them trying to drag us into a scrap.

stay out of it, tip away on the scoreboard and they will be thinking about pints in temple bar at 50 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Ringrose had to step in at least twice from memory at 9 and keep the play moving as Murray was in rucks protecting ball or not at the next ruck for the same reason. Clean ball was night and day from first 50 to last 30.

I thought it was excellent management in subbing Murray when they did, last 30 and how the play was suited JGP down to the ground, he did very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

Kind of surprised Pearce didn't get the yellow card out after Lowe's try. Scotland had at least 2 players who could have been penalized after the initial penalty & warning. Probably would have got the card out if we hadn't scored, but that's not the rules is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

That's 100% not the perspective on here when we were losing to those teams consistently. We didn't think it had to be earned when England had our number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's obvious Farrell hasn't a clue, the internet is always right

That was some win. Scotland were terrific in the first half, ultra physical and probably should have gone in ahead. Russell was good throughout but very impressive and accurate in that first 40.

They really fell apart in the second half, our breakdown tidied up with whatever adjustments were made at half time and when Gibson-Park came on the tempo completely rocked them. Murray was very good in the first half, when Scotland got motoring they made territory quite effectively and Murray did a tidy job of keeping them out of our 22. We really needed his physical presence in defence on a few occasions when Scotland had us stretched and they heavily targeted both our halves in attack for very little return.

The level and specific nature of the disruption today could have been hugely limiting, effectively losing your set piece in a tight game would be game over for plenty of top sides, but the fact that Ireland didn't seem all that phased was incredible.

We locked our game down a bit in the first half when we started losing players but some big performances kept Scotland out. O'Mahony was utterly unreal, just absolutely everywhere and for a player who usually does 60 minutes he was still launching himself into tackles in the last 10. VDF similarly had a massive game and made up for the loss of Doris with ball in hand, got a couple of steals and of course his composure throwing into the line out was remarkable. Healy similarly should take a bow - a formidable task for both players and they exceeded expectations.

Back three were brilliant, far better than their counterparts. Hansen was deserved motm but Lowe had a huge game and Keenan as usual just makes the right calls consistently. Sexton should be very pleased with his outing, incredible physicality from a 37 year old. Ringrose not at his best today and was largely at fault for their try, but his missed tackle count is often down to closing down space and the wide channels and is clearly a team tactic that he is primarily responsible for implementing (we sometimes see Hansen and Lowe doing the same). Furlong similarly not quite at full pitch though showed great hands a few times. He was bunched at around 25 minutes but got a second wind late in the first half and was solid until he came off. Porter with another 80 minute performance, few props can boast that level of work for a full game but he seems to take it in his stride, phenomenal athlete.

James Ryan matched his France performance and was unlucky not to bag a try (that we really could have done with going into next week). He is creasing lads in contact this season in a way he hasn't before, really upped his physicality. Conan should also be mighty pleased with his performance, he is likely to start next week so no harm getting the confidence up. Coombes might well be about to get a shot off the bench but hard to know - Doris wasn't right after he took that high ball and landed awkwardly but seemed relatively ok at full time.

Ringrose definitely won't be back next week but going by Farrell's post match he hopefully is fine generally speaking. Sheehan likely won't be available given the 6 day turnaround and hard to know how serious Kelleher was but I'm presuming if he couldn't throw then he's a doubt. If Henderson has broken his wrist he's going to miss the rest of the season which would be hugely disappointing as he's been improving game on game.

Brilliant win, 15 points but should have been more even with so much going against us. France's win yesterday and the lack of the bonus point means a win next week is a must, France will BP Wales so we need to take the kitchen sink England are going to throw at us and throw it back at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Have you played 9 before? The fresh 9 comes on to a completely different game. The Scots should have been given a yellow for the shithousery they were at in the rucks in the first 40. Murray actually saved us losing ball in some of those rucks. He also put in some very crucial and physical tackles.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Was Sexton’s pass forward at 4:10?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This sounds exactly like the owl lad, George Hook. Could never be happy with a win, always excusing wins by slagging the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That’s not true, some refs don’t but we have seen plenty of players carded after the score in the last few years.

All things being equal it's not up there with our greatest ever wins. We well won in the end and would have absolutely hammered Scotland but for the injuries (we were one score away from doing that either way). We've played against better opposition and won.

But. It's certainly one of our best ever performances. I watch a lot of rugby and have been doing so for a long time and it's extremely rare to have an openside throwing into the line out and a prop as hooker, it's borderline unheard of to have those situations in play and to be winning scrums and securing lineout ball.

Great teams would fall apart in those circumstances, would go to uncontested scrums and would have the ball pinched at line out all game. Ireland actually improved as the situation deteriorated. I've never really seen the like, huge composure, belief and mental acuity to navigate through to a convincing win. Scotland almost beat France and beat England (both away from home) and we made them look average.

Yes. And yes Murray is a strong physical defender and a physical presence and he is good under a high ball and a reliable box kicker but his job number one in this team is quick ball and this endless nonsense being talked on here about messy rucks is pointless as that is not what I am talking about. It's the delay in his game once he has his hands on the ball. JGP fires it out the moment he can, Murray waits, looks waits and then goes. It may only be a split second delay in some cases but that is the difference between getting in behind the defence and not.

We are a different team with JGP there. Is Murray second best ? I am not sure but Farrell feels his solidity in the other aspects of his game are worth sticking with and no one else is putting their hand up.

I once read Murray was slow, now when I watch the game I insist all slow ball is because Murray is playing.

I must be right.

• Advertisement

Can you not see the difference in ball speed (once the 9 has his hands on it) between JGP and Murray ? If you can't fine , fair enough but please honestly tell me what you think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Great win, that is all. Good night folks and see y'all again next Saturday.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I think Scotland did a lot of that, they just couldn't maintain it over the 80

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭standardg60

Actually came on to say exactly this, Murray was so slow today, the difference when JGP came on was immediately apparent, he basically won the game. Murray was arriving at rucks, the ones he got to, and only then was looking around for the next pass, JGP looked and knew where he was going before he arrived, you can see it clearly for Lowe's try.

Distinctly remember James Ryan getting a yellow for Leinster for collapsing a maul that still scored a few years ago, Hogg should definitely have been carded for tackling from offside.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Are you saying @Ragwort and Stones with his 40 years of following the game is talking through his hoop? Haha

I still disagree. It says more about Scotland than anything else about us.

You give one single point but make out like it's two seperate things - us not having a hooker is the thing that happened. VDF threw in because he's the best at it. The Italian prop last year was good at it too.

It says more about Scotland that you know where the ball is going, you know the flanker isn't going to be as accurate, yet you can't steal it.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

What's the point in being facetious?

He had a poor game today, that is all, i'd have been happy to see him subbed after 20 mins. His failure to find touch directly led to the Scottish try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

I don't agree at all. it wasn't Murrays fault we were getting slow ruck ball and he was the right man for a dog fight like the first half. Yes JPG did well - he came on when the game as opening up and made the best of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

Usually when it’s foul play. Try was scored therefore the cynical play did not prevent the try scoring opportunity

Advertisement