Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotland v Ireland match Thread by. chat GPT.

Options

Comments

I accept that ref's will sometimes warn a player not to infringe, but twice Pearce kept White from infringing at the breakdown and its crossing into on field coaching territory at that point. The breakdown was a mess in the first half, a lot down to slow tackle completion giving Scotland the chance to disrupt and quite a few times players (from both teams) falling on the wrong side and not getting pinged.

I think JGP is a bit more live to interference at the breakdown, if there is a whiff of a counter ruck the ball is away but as others have said it was a very different game when he arrived on the pitch.

They get a free shot at quickly clearing their lines in a high risk fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

So I'm a dickhead then?

There should have been at least two yellow cards for Scotland. Numerous times in from the side and not a bother.

The ref was ctap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Trying to interpret these comments:

Looks like Doris and Sheehan might be playing against England?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

All refs coach then.. you need to use preventatitve language otherwise there would be a penalty at every tackle/ruck for one of players in side/off feet/not rolling away etc

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Same player, same offence twice is pushing the boundaries imo. Similarly Hogg commits two penalties (one highly cynical) inside the Scottish 5m and isn't sent to the bin, just a bit too inconsistent today.

To put it mildly, Farrell has hugely exceeded my expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭snow mad

I think What most are saying is in response to someome saying Murray was pants today.

jgp is faster and more suited to the way ireland are playing

but Murray has adapted his game and if back to a decent level of form.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Sounds promising on Doris and Sheehan, but I'll wait until later in the week before really hoping. Ireland tend to be pretty cagey on when players are actually available to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,323 ✭✭✭✭phog

JGP suffered similar to Murray with slow ball in the lead up to one try, I think it was Lowe's try, his pass to Lowe wasn't even brilliant but because he's not Murray he's judged differently by a few posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

No it's definitely a scrum, can't remember the game but it happened a couple of years ago too, Healy was laughing about it afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

No.one is saying that Murray is as quick as JGP. But being able to pass ball out quicker is the result of many functions. Players being quicker and more accurate in support of the tackled player + less (tiring) opposition effort to slow / disrupt ruck speed + more rucks in attack than in defense etc.

JGP is arguably in his prime & playing in a great side and Murray is not quite the player he was. But compared to Murray, the greatest 9 we've ever had, when he was in his prime can JGP match that ?. I certainly hope he does and I'd wager that Murray, as a consummate professional, shares that hope.

I think when our pack are motoring JGP facilitates our go forward better than any other 9 in Ireland but you only need to go back to the Ireland / England match last year to see how that isn't always what we need. Murray was the difference when he came on in that game because tactically and territorially he's a better game manager and we were gifting England consistent 3 pointers playing in the wrong areas of the pitch (despite them being down to 14 men).

We had much faster ball when JGP was on the pitch but as I said above, Scotland were not contesting to nearly the same degree or effectiveness at that point. I don't think it's unreasonable to point out that JGP is quicker both to the breakdown and quicker getting the ball away - not really arsed looking for stats to prove that but to my mind it's pretty apparent. Murray has adapted a good deal whilst still bringing that nous into his play, he's had a terrific six nations.

If I had to bet though - I'd suspect JGP will start against England.

Give it up, vast majority of neutrals saw that JGP changed the game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I can't see the logic in that statement. It isn't legal to throw in with another ball. So there is nothing to be gained. It is always called back, or should be. If they had benefitted they wouldn't have, because it would have been called back. There's no free shot. It was flagged before the try was even scored.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Here's the thing; JGP can have changed the game AND he can have been getting better ball than Murray was from the ruck. Both those things can be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

IIRC the Yellow card was first introduced to discourage cynical play ie; commiting a penalisable offence deliberately rather than just 'getting it wrong'.

The deliberate knock on when 'attempting' an interception is a good example of this interpretation. By that measure Hogg should have seen Yellow, particularly as he had already been penalised in their red zone for offside.

Come on! Making excuses for Murray (one of my favourite players by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I think people are saying that because a try is scored then a Yellow is not often shown for cynical play, whereas a try being scored would not effect a Yellow being shown for foul play in the lead up.

• Advertisement

Here’s some chat gpt death metal

The pitch is set, the battle begins,

The sound of flesh on flesh, it rings,

The roar of the crowd, the clash of steel,

The will to win, the need to kill.

Chorus:

Irish rugby, death and pain,

A battle cry that echoes in vain,

In the hearts of those who play,

With the will to kill and slay.

Verse 2:

The bloodied bodies, the broken bones,

The warrior's rage, the heart of stone,

The fearlessness, the iron will,

The drive to crush, the thirst to kill.

Chorus:

Verse 3:

The scrum, the maul, the lineout throw,

The battle rages, the blood does flow,

The kicks, the tackles, the brutal hits,

The shattered bodies, the broken bits.

Chorus:

Verse 4:

And when the final whistle blows,

And the battle ends, the victory shows,

The warriors stand, the victors proud,

Their battle won, their foes disavowed.

Chorus:

Outro:

The pitch is empty, the battle done,

The warriors leave, their battle won,

Their hearts still pounding, their eyes still fierce,

Their souls still raging, their victory clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭snow mad

and we have had awful trouble getting in behind defences this 6 nations so far?

give a player his due for massively inproving a part of his game

It's not an excuse. I think JGP had cleaner ball. He did brilliantly from it. I'd have him clearly ahead of Murray.

But I also think Murray did fine today. And is having a very good 6 Nations overall.

But someone saying they'd be happy for Murray to be subbed off after 20 mins (and doubly so in light of the injury issues)? Nah. Way off, imo.

He made the ruck ball quicker by getting there sooner and having his pass already selected. I've nothing against Murray, he's stepped up to the plate the last couple of games, but he had an off day today. Johnny mentioned how slow the ruck ball was in the first half in the press conference, make of that what you will.

Jgp will start next week, Casey may even be on the bench, time will tell..

But it's not all on JGP for making the ruck ball quicker, or indeed all on Murray for making the ruck ball slower, tho. That's too reductive.

I think JGP will start next week. I'd be extremely surprised if Casey benches, given how Murray has gone the last few games.

If anything, I think Murray has proven he can play with the tempo this system requires in the last number of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭crusd

It is correct I’m afraid. You cannot award a yellow card when there is no penalty awarded. The only cases where a yellow will happen after a try is scored is in the case of a penalty try or dangerous play.

In the case today Scotland committed deliberate fouls the prevent Ireland scoring, except Ireland scored, so it didn’t prevent the score.

Can anyone point to an example where I am incorrect? I can’t recall any but am open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭crusd

introduced to punish cynical play that prevents a try scoring opportunity. Given Ireland scored Hogg did not succeed.

Again with the excuses. Murray still has a lot to offer, but he slows down play. We had no hooker for half the match, lost an 8 and second row but still the ball was quicker when jdp came on.

Could a team facing a much bigger pack deliberately start with three props and leave the lineouts to a flanker?

• Advertisement

At times it felt like there were multiple Hansens on the pitch today. He kept on popping up in the centre and even on the left wing. Such wandering must be covered by centres etc. in the event of a turnover?

Advertisement