Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Football Week in the States

Options
  • 10-03-2023 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

Myself and a friend were thinking it would be really cool to take a week over in the states and take in a few games, at different levels..

Has anyone done something like this?

Monday night NFL, Thursday Night NFL, Friday Night Highschool, Saturday Night College Football and then Sunday Afternoon/Evening NFL

Wouldn't look to do it all but where would you recommend as a city or max two cities where you could cover as much ground as possible while having time to enjoy tailgating, BBQ, and the culture around the games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Texas.

That's where you would get the best Friday night experience and a great college experience.

But Texas is huge.

Stay away from the north east, not much in the way of college or high school going on there.

I'd say head to Atlanta and start from there, you are deep in SEC and ACC country for college football and there are a good few NFL teams within a "relatively" reasonable distance, 4 to 6 hours drive.

Falcons

Panthers

Jags

Titans

Bucs

Saints.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

• Registered Users Posts: 38,488 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Agree about Texas and my second choice would be Florida. You've got a lot of NFL teams within a relatively close distance there too and great college and high school football.

November or early December is probably the best time to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

To score a MNF & TNF near each other would be tough going, as they are single games only - but internal flights in the US are easy peasy. Wait for the schedule to come out in May, and you might get lucky, or SNF, TNF. When the schedule comes out, plan it right away. Easiest to plan it early in the season, because as soon as it hits November, games on SNF and possibly now TNF will possibly get flexed & your plan could go to pot easily!

I've seen a high school game in NJ, it's pretty much like Friday Night Lights the show! Texas would be next level, but not a state I'd be going to. Haven't done college thanks to Covid...had a Virginia Tech one lined up as cousin was a student. Have done 7 NFL games, playoffs are the best hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I've done something like this a few times, though a little bit different, I haven't gone to any college games or anything like that. But I have sprinkled in some other sports. My last trip, just last year, I went to see the Celtics on Wednesday, Patriots on Thursday, Celtics again on Friday, Knicks on Saturday and Giants on Sunday.

One piece of advice I'll give as someone who has been to a good 40 sporting events in the US is to wait until as close as possible to the game to get your tickets. This might not apply to college but it applies to NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL. The closer it gets to the game, the cheaper the tickets will be. I usually buy my ticket as I'm leaving my hotel to head out to the venue - or maybe that morning if I see something really juicy pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Dallas-Fort Worth is your best bet in my opinion (I lived in the area for a few years). You could go to any number of high school games there that would have huge attendance. I would recommend Guyer in Denton, partly as an excuse to visit Denton which is a fantastic little town on the far north end of DFW with some amazing bars and a lovely small town atmosphere.

Loads of college ball in the area, obviously TCU wood be the biggest draw, which is in fort worth. UNT in Denton is another option, much smaller but I always loved the atmosphere there, very local and also cheap and a great little stadium.

Sunday speaks for itself, Jerry world.

All of these places are easily accessible via public transport or car (except the cowboys stadium but you can get a shuttle easily enough from the train between Dallas and fort worth). Great bbq options (not as good as Austin but by any standards among the best in the world) and tailgating would be great at all of these places.

• Advertisement
Advertisement