Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smith & Wesson Model 41

• 10-03-2023 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

Thinking about buying a model 41.

I was wondering if the non-performance center model can mount red dot sights?

And is there any practical difference in accuracy between the 7 inch barrel and the 5.5 inch barrel versions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Wadi14

The really old ones don't come drilled and tapped, from about the 80,s onward the barrel is D&T to mount a red dot you would have to fit a picatinny rail the the barrel to mount the dot.

Accuracy if your going to use a red dot no difference between 5.5 and 7.

If using open sights the 7 inch should be slightly better as there is a longer distance between the front and rear sights.

Both guns are equally as accurate its the nut behind the gun that makes the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭TheEngineer1

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Hi,

I have a 1968 m41 (lovely gun) and i too shoot red dot.

Mine has the 5 and a half inch barrel and you can fit a red dot to it - without drilling and tapping.

There are a couple of options- but the easiest is to get the EGW Red Dot mount No. 49270

https://www.egwguns.com/vortex-viper-venom-fits-burris-fastfire-and-docter-for-s-w-model41

UNFORTUANITLY - they don't ship internationally... and I could not find anywhere out side the States that could retail one.

The following retailer are the only ones that i could find that were willing to ship the same part (for lots of postage and at my own risk of it being confiscated) But they have been out of stock for a while.

I did acquire one directly from EGW through a friend of a friend who loves in the States (he ordered it and then sent it to me) took ages, and I have only just received it. So have yet to fit it to the m41 - but I'm happy that it will fit.

You have to remove the rear sight and mount the plate in the dovetail.

I have just discovered i need a tiny hex key (or Allen key) to remove the locking grub screw on the existing sight. I also need to get some brass punches as I'll need to drift out (apparently this only works one direction as the dovetail is cut to drift out to the right...) the existing rear sight (and I'm expecting it to be tight - but i may be pleasantly surprised.:-).

There were a couple of machinists that i found (in the US) that make these plates themselves and will ship - but they were looking for $80 to $100 plus postage...

I found NOTHING in Europe as a RD mount for the m41.

Lastly make sure the RD you have fits the mounting hole on the EGW plate. I'll ost a photo next week if i can get the tools in time (on order from Amazon!)

Hope this helps.

Photo of plate - comes with two types of screws for the RED (locking grub screws is in the centre hole.

Advertisement