Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-cooling mats

Options
  • 10-03-2023 10:36pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've seen them around in lots of shops, including Mr Price. Does anyone know how they work, what's the maximum air temperature they'd withstand before accumulating heat and having the opposite effect, and whether they are suitable for cats (e.g., they wouldn't be if they contained liquid as there'd be a risk of leaks if the cats stick their claws in them)? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Hi, Have used them for years, My older boy used to his all the time, as soon as one would heat up he'd move to another. So as the new member of the family is a bigger boy, I bought some for him. (which the humans now use. lol, he has no interest in them. ) They are filled with a gel like substance, cool to the touch. once they are kept in a cool place, they will stay cool.

From what I found, Toby would lie on his for about an hour before moving off it. I'd then put it in cool/ bathroom room for 20mins or so, and it would be cool again.

Not sure how it would work with cats, As you said , the clawing might be a problem, the material is quite robust.

Sorry. don't know why double post!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks for that. I guess it wouldn't go lower than room temperature on its own accord, then... It wouldn't be much different from the ice-packs you can get for sprains, so?

they would be cooler then room temperature to the touch, as in walking on cold tiles. due to the gel I guess, Just checked one, and its cooler then room temperature.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Would they stay that cool for long, would you say, if there were a heatwave and the temperature went up to 30 degrees?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We got one last summer as our pup runs really warm. She was probably too young back then, but we’ve recently noticed she seems to struggle with the warmth of the house (new build, A2 rating, underfloor heating) so we pulled it back out. She certainly chooses to lie on it when she goes for a snooze in the living room, so it seems like she enjoys it. How cool or not it is, I can’t say, but she definitely chooses to lie in cool spots wherever possible so I’d imagine it’s at least a bit cool.

The internet says “These mats are typically made from materials that have a high thermal conductivity, such as gel, foam, or a special type of fabric that absorbs heat from your dog's body.

When your dog lies on the cooling mat, the heat from their body is transferred to the mat, which helps to lower their body temperature and keep them comfortable.” So it’s kind of like lying on tiles rather than wood - the dogs heat gets carried away more effectively by the mat, but it is time limited as it will warm up. But once your dog moves away, the mat gives off heat and returns to normal over time.

I think ours suggests it can stay cool for a few hours. It’s never going to be a substitute for shade, hydration and cool air or water, but it helps.

As for cats, our two occasionally walk over the mat but I’ve never seen them sit on it or claw at it.

I'm guessing that if it isn't cooler than a tile floor, it wouldn't be much use (I already have tiles and no underfloor heating). Thanks for your answers, all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Lol.. I got two of these for my duskie for the summer and she just goes an lies on the kitchen tiles 🤣

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ah they are cooler than tiles... they're discernibly cool to the touch after a few moments, and they stay cool for quite a while too.

I have bought a few of them through the years, and not one of my dogs has ever liked lying on them 🙄😂 Oh they'll lie on them if I direct them to it, but it's clearly only to oblige me 😂 They never stay on them. They have a kinda noise, waterproofy material that perhaps the dogs don't like?

I can't really see cats using them either. But that's just my perception that dogs seem to seek coolness, whilst cats tend to seek heat?

One of my cat already lies with his belly flat to the ground and his legs sprawled out to cool down, he looks like a bear-skin, but then again he's a long-haired cat. I'm worried he'll be at risk if there's a heatwave and temperatures sore to 30+ degrees and I was looking for something that might work. Based on what's been said so far, I doubt these would stay cool for long, in that heat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Well, I can tell you that I've used them. For myself. In the car on really hot days 😂 And they definitely stay remarkably cool for quite a while.

If you buy one, see how/if the cat likes it, then buy another one to alternate with? Maybe?

That's an idea... and if it doesn't work, I'll send it to you for the other car seat. 😁

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

One of our cats is long haired (Siberian Forest cat, so properly designed for the cold!) and has lived through heatwaves with no issue. We lived in the east of England when we first got him and summers there were regularly over 30 degrees. It was described as “dead cat weather”, in that cats would lie panned out, on their backs, for hours at a time. We’d put ice cubes in his water bowl and freeze cat cream treats but he was always fine once he had access to shade and cooler areas of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Our Pom uses one constantly through out the year as she struggles with the heat too even now. Our yorkie never uses it though as he’s a heat seeker like cats.

As DBB said, We use Alby's mats ourselves 🤣, You're more then welcome to borrow one (depending where you live) to try before you buy.

Advertisement