Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard news

• 11-03-2023 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

My car was recently stolen and vanished... On the dashboard were a full Bible, a Prayer Book and a hand carved wooden Cross .

While I sincerely hope the Word of God reaches the thieves I miss those items... That Cross especially as it was from someone I knew now with Jesus.

Post edited by smacl on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Prayers for its timely recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

How did they get it off the island?

Surely the ferry would have cctv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Presumably a car left parked on the 'mainland'. Maybe one of the neighbours borrowed it??

She says herself she never leaves the island , the furthest she goes is to the end of her lane and back, the ferryman brings all her groceries from SuperValu and meals on wheels. If the car was parked on the mainland it was probably towed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I think you're confused, Grace, you posted before that you gave up the car years ago as you're all but housebound, and have also said occasionally that you miss it. The items are probably somewhere in your home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Post edited by Graces7 on

I asked for prayer... and seeking if there is kindness and understanding and ability that at least some of the items that were stolen from my car might be replaced.

Asking the kindness of the prayers of the faithful that the Bible tells us avails all...

Thank you for the only appropriate and valid response to my request for prayer.

If anyone has eg a spare Bible I would be so very grateful. And I give away any spares as Jesus bids us for only HE matters and HIS Word who is Lord and King

This IS a spiritual and faith matter .... Please respond appropriately or not at all. I have blocked all inappropriate replies. Seeing names here who never before posted in Christianity before... lol. A chance for real missionary activity in sight...

Post edited by Graces7 on

Repeating this message .... Please? pm by all means! Blessings and thanks....

Moderators. Grateful if you could clean this thread up. Distinctly disedifying and inappropriate and faith-less replies. Although they speak f the need for Prayer and faith so deeply! I have passed names etc on to myriad Prayer Groups around the world and the response is truly amazing.. all who have replied are known and prayed for in many places now.

I seek this in the Name of the Holy Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit

In Who alone is Truth,, that by your prayers and simple actions, faith may be seen to achieve all things in all ways...

If anyone has a spare Bible etc, please pm me.

Help to spread the Word of God

• Advertisement

The ferry is a 12 seater curragh.. cars are parked at the mainland quay as for several smaller islands

Parked where we all leave our cars! Safe and legal. It was stolen.

Sad to see such replies on this forum .... same few folk.. People all over the world see this and we all pray for you day and night.

And we love Jesus Christ Son of God Saviour and hold you all to Him in Prayer and love. As He bids us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,908 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Untaxed vehicles are not legally parked and will be removed. Was it taxed? Have you checked with the council?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

MOD WARNING: @Leg End Reject comments about another poster 'being confused' are a personal attack and will be sanctioned going forward. @Graces7 likewise please do not reply in kind, nor is it acceptable to use this forum to solicit gifts from other members.

Ask in one of the two houses by the pier on the mainland.

Oh that's awful!

We've fishermen in the family and that was always the fear when heading off , which is why they drove rust buckets , sure the salt air from the pier killed the paintwork anyway.

However now there's so many cctv and dashcams hopefully the police will get a lead.

However brilliant news you were able to get off the island, even if it ended in a grim discovery.

Is that the first time since covid hit? I know you were off it for hospital as you had the get the helicopter, but first time under your own steam. True saying that island dwellers are hardy folk!!!

Are you sure it may not have been towed , check your documents to make sure it was fully taxed and insured. I'm always forgetting to do that and at 23:45 the night of expiration I'm busy renewing.

Hopefully the guards will have good news in a couple of days.

Thanks. It was stolen. been told that now off record so they don't have to act. No I am islanded fully now! Car was my last hope. The pier is deserted almost 24/7.

It is what was in the car, the Bibles etc. And that hand carved wooden cross. Maybe it means something to someone now

Not been offisland since the emergency chopper trip to hospital . It was when I was coming home and got to the pier I saw the car had gone. Checked with the authorities, and it had not been taken by them. they but they were evasive in the extreme. It had DISABLED stickers etc.

A landmark my last car!!! Getting near the end now! Love the peace and isolation out here but that one last trip would have meant a lot. I had a route planned! All my favourite places! From the wild life park in Donegal to Mizen Head with frequent stops along the way!

"DUNROAMING !" sign is now up and that is grand... No regrets. Just me and my cats and a life of Prayer

Ah they are rarely occupied. Some out here do know but they will not look me in the eye so best now to let it go. If Jesus wants me to have transport, it will arrive. A tricycle would.... lol

Well make sure you get an official report off the gardai so you can make an insurance claim.

Sadly it won't bring back your personal item, nothing will as they are personal.

Also someone else might clarify you might need to do something about notifying revenue as to why it's no longer being taxed....I'm not sure.

Trying to find the silver lining here, but at least it's one less expense for you, especially if you are unable to drive it.....tax and insurance are not cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Look on the bright side. To keep it taxed,insured and nct'd for 5 years while not in use was probably quite an expense. Not to mention a service and new tyres to make it roadworthy for a trip as you describe. I seem to remember you saying the car had a mechanical problem shortly before you stopped using it. That's quite a saving in your pocket now.

It's a pity about the personal items , I probably would have asked someone to retrieve them rather than leave them there for years but maybe you could post on a local Facebook page and ask that people keep an eye out for them.

I do wonder how it was moved though, it must have been someone with a low loader or tow truck. Such a pity.

Ah it was to be an " island car" and that means a different approach to tax etc. It was the same in Orkney.

I am used to it now; and can still get to the shore sometimes. Just after 60 years of having a car - and that it was stolen!

Ah they have tractors etc. lol... you would be amazed what gets done after dark in deep rural places... But it has gone and over and done. My wee yellow car! I remain sure that if Jesus wants me to have a car He will sort it. And I love the island so much. Would not change that. And they are kind to us old wans out here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I saw this on the front page, and I fear that I'm not the only one. The posters who used this thread to have a go at the original poster should be ashamed of themselves.

I am not a spiritual person, Graces7, however tonight I will light a candle and say a prayer for you in these difficult times, and in the face of tumult.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,

Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:

That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ.

Amen.

Bless you and worry not. It is always the same few folk and some follow me round boards. It is folk like you who matter. And I am the same with others who get attacked so that is grand. It is the love WE give that we are responsible for ......and if any of these folk came to my door they would be greeted in the love of Jesus. WISH they would! Maybe this summer...

Island tax cars cannot be on the mainland at all (this is why they are exempted from the NCT also - can't bring it to an NCT centre). If it had island tax on it, it was not legally parked on the mainland.

Are you absolutely certain it hasn't been removed for not being taxed? There is no value in stealing old/cheap cars.

Councils remove abandoned cars all the time. You would need to check with the environmental section. Gardai would not be aware of this happening, as it has nothing to do with them.

Well I'd imagine it still needed to be insured as it was parked on the mainland.

So make sure you put a claim in and get a few shillings for yourself....the reason we have insurance is to protect against theft etc.

I checked with the Council and no. I have some clout with them and had already talked about it with them .And in very out of the way places like the deserted quay where it was, anything literally goes. The Gardai use the other landing place so they are never there.

Someone i know here DOES know as he would not look me in the eye. The law has little clout in such matters. Deep rural..

It is not the car per se but the holy things. I can easily cope out here just pottering to the shore..

There is a very zealous trade in scrap here.. Anyways, it has gone...

Would it be possible that "tidy towns" put in an appeal to have it removed?

When was the last time you physically saw it.

The salt air will have been doing no favours, it could easily have gotten to the stage that it was a danger from an environmental point of view especially if it was leaking....I'm thinking corrosion of oil ,brake fluid (I don't know the bits and pieces of cars) but I do know they rust and if not moved regularly they start to fall apart.

It's possible windows were smashed making it a danger.

When was the agreement with council put in place....it's possible that the person who you agreed with has moved on and their predecessor wasn't aware of the arrangement. Sounds like a very ad hoc arrangement anyway as generally speaking councils don't like "abandoned" vehicles are anything else in public spaces. So it may have been one official going out on a limb for you , but they have now left?

• Advertisement

Just to clarify why I posted this and to reassure all it isn't personal abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Slideways

May the lord cradle you in the bosom of his love during this trying time.

Have you said a prayer to Saint Anthony? I shall say one on your behalf and see if he can somehow help relocate that cross and bible for you

Guess the car wasn't stolen or towed.

You should probably apologize to the poor man you were accusing of "knowing something" ....or at least remove the comment......as I'm sure anyone local has an idea who you are referring to.

Great thread. 😆

NO CAR NOW as it had been stolen... and I was trying to make the best of it ....lol...Always the same folk making posts like this! So sad. Blessings and prayers

No an d yes I checked of course, and the Council knew . We kept a check with binoculars and there were folk there daily.

• Advertisement

Why did you leave valuable (to you) items in an abandoned, illegally parked car?

Your first para. Same folk attack me and my posts whenever I post! roflol... They get prayed for every time, but yes it is sad, and yes we pray for them, and as I have said before; we have never met, You are welcome to call at the island and share a cup of tea or coffee... But they never reply so nothing more I can do,

????? Oh the comment was deleted as we had already talked with our neighbour of course, A very small circle here. So no idea what your first words are about but clearly they needed to be deleted... Thank you

As you well know the car was not abandoned or illegally parked!!!!! roflol! Any more silly posts? lol... You jest re theft etc? Says all re thee. Praying for thee

The comment is still there....tried to quote it.... stupid quote system

• Advertisement

Yep, very revealing! But monotonous and really sad that these folk make a jest of crimes committed, especially the theft of her car from an elderly disabled person. But I know others are praying and that is what matters. rather than the persecution ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Regardless of the legality, I think the question is fair? Why leave valuables in the car? Why not simply ask the ferryman to retrieve them ?

It had no mainland tax (as you have admitted to), hence it was illegally parked.

Island tax is for island cars. Your mainland car needs to be taxed, insured and NCTed same as everyone else's.

I still don't believe it was stolen. Removed as abandoned and illegal and you simply haven't asked the right people.

Grace, was your car stolen before 29th December?

Yawn....

These posts reveal so much and are truly sad. Praying for thee... with patience.. making fun about a car stolen from a disabled old person... YAWN!

Thank you moderator for letting these folk run riot and reveal the depths of themselves. That was very wise of thee..

This is my last year here and I just wanted to drive around a little, visit friends too far away to walk to... And that some find this a joking matter?

Time I was HOME with Thee , Jesus!

Over and out..

The depths of understanding and wishing to see people obey road traffic law, I presume?

If you want to drive around, you need to have a road legal car to do it in. You did not.

People are trying to help here by pointing out that your car was probably removed rather than stolen; and giving advise that it is unwise to store valuable items in an abandoned car.

You choose to disregard this and assume the worst of people.

No, I thought I posted these already. No one is abusing Grace, she is being asked questions and offered suggestions because she has stated on numerous occasions that she no longer has a car.

@Graces7, the items are likely in your home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

MOD: Thread closed as OP has indicated no further interest in it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement