Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gary Lineker, BBC and Freedom of Speech - **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭supermans ghost

Best thing to happen MOTD in years, might start watching it again. Like the current day players the current day presenters, pundits and commentator’s are all overpaid, smug, hypocrites. The basic requirement to be a pundit on MOTD is insert the word ‘quality’ into every other sentence. This team lacks a quality striker etc…. How come not one of them felt enough solidarity with the workers that built the Qatari stadiums to boycott the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,997 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What Gary said is a load of tosh, but it's so important to defend his right to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭893bet

I heard Harry Kane is claiming that while Gary wrote the tweet that he pressed enter and got the last touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

No pre or post match interviews for MOTD from Bournemouth or Liverpool in the early kick off, and supposedly the rest of the Premier League teams are following suit for their fixtures.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭supermans ghost

I agree he should be able to express his viewpoints, no matter how crass and ill informed they may be, the key difference here is he is paid by the BBC (£1.35million) who are funded by the licence payers and are expected to be impartial, when he as one of their marque presenters goes out and says or does something that is going to damage the BBC brand then he should expect consequences. If he wants to be the champion of the downtrodden then he should resign and run for parliament or just do his podcasts which I believe are supposed to be quite popular, either way I never liked him as a presenter, too sickly sweet for my taste. I wonder would those people standing in solidarity with him feel the same way about that other blowhard Jeremy Clarkson and what he wrote about the Princess of Montecito.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I don't really see the fuss to be honest there are plenty of other options. ~MOTD had gone a bit stale anyway. Dull.

The only thing that annoys me is the the BBC had Lineker reading that 'political statement' before the Qatar World Cup. And didn't show the pre tournament presentation on the main BBC. The whole thing stinks of hypocrisy.

It seems it is only 'political comment' against BBC's 'impartiality' when the person has a high profile on social media, and is critiquing British government policy?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

I'm sure we'd all like to live in a world where we can call our paymaster a nazi.

Unfortunately we don't.

• Advertisement

Match of the Day alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'd love a Game of the Afternoon show to pop up on ITV with Shearer Wright and Lineker all coming out in full on NWO t-shirts.

Speaking on Thursday on GB News, Le Tissier said: 'I can tell you Gary Lineker is no saint, not in any way, shape or form. There's very few of us around that are saints. I'm no saint, we've all made mistakes in our lives but we don't all virtue signal to the extent that Mr Lineker does.

'I don't even have to imagine, there are quite a few skeletons in Gary's closet down the years. He's obviously got some friends in very high places who have protected him, there's no two ways about that.'

Wonder will these sex pest rumors come to light now he's kicked the hornets nest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Couldn’t give a shite about lineker. I did find it funny tho this past couple of days. Those who are obsessed with whinging about cancel culture and who never shut up about it were calling for Garry to be cancelled. Too thick to realise the hypocrisy though. Whatever suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

No doubt if they replace him an ethnic person you’ll be crying they’ve gone woke and that’s why you’ll never watch again lol

MOTD just won’t be the same with Fiona Bruce and Piers Morgan hosting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Could you give some examples of these people calling for him to be cancelled please? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Spot on. I'm usually busy Saturday night so record Match of the Day and when i watch later i fast forward the 'analysis' by Lineker and Wright and just watch the match highlights. Same with Match of Day 2. Football highlights and zero analysis. Suits me fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

Apparently David Icke is going to step in, he doesn’t believe there’s any conspiracy between the BBC and the Tory government.😉

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Football Focus now cancelled for today after presenters and pundits refused to do it.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

France isn't one of the most dangerous countries in the world. So that quote is clearly wrong on the "most vulnerable people in the world".

On one hand Lineker is entitled to his opinion, on the other if the job comes with conditions about expressing political opinions they he can't really complain.

I don't think criticizing the government is exactly the same as criticizing the BBC as some have said.

Comparing Britain enforcing its immigration policy to Germany in the 1930s is beyond ridiculous, as are most Nazi comparisons. unless anyone can argue otherwise?

Britain takes in about 1 million immigrants every year.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn06077/#:~:text=Migrants%20living%20in%20the%20UK&text=In%202021%20there%20were%20approximately,live%20in%20the%20capital%20city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

Tim Davie couldn't have fuckd this one as badly even if he tried.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

This is a wonderful opportunity for sports broadcasting in general.

Fact is for TV, pundits and commentators are unnecessary.

I'd love if the BBC experimented and decided to broadcast the programme without any pundits and commentators for the rest of the season.

The closest thing to getting to experiencing a game live in the stadium is to watch it at home with just the stadium sounds and no broadcasters.I have to mute my TV every-time I watch a match because I have no interest in listening to the commentators droning on, I really wish there was an option to watch a match with just having the stadium and match sounds and no more that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I’m sure that for £1.35m per year the BBC will be able to find somebody to present the football, without sticking their oar in on political matters.

A slight tangent, but it’s really annoying (and lazy?) to compare everything to the German Nazis, who caused WW2 and the Holocaust, where millions of people were killed.

You can argue the toss on how many immigrants the UK should be taking in (and already it’s a lot), but essentially it’s about how far they should go to help refugees. Not about going to their countries and systematically exterminating them like Hitler did. Totally different.

Maybe there’s a good reason why BBC put Lineker on the football shows but not the political ones.

I don’t agree with my boss on everything, but I know better than to literally call them Nazis. Why doesn’t Lineker outline his view and his reasoning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I think Linekers tweet mentioning the talk on immigration policy/crisis being similiar to 1930s Nazi Germany is ridiculous and bang out of order and i have no problem with him being repremanded for it. Interesting to see how it all plays out but if i never had to listen to Lineker, Ian Wright, Shearer or Alex Scott again i wouldn't feel like i'm missing out on anything.

Maybe there’s a good reason why BBC put Lineker on the football shows but not the political ones.

There certainly is. He played 80 times for England, scoring 48 goals in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,106 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

As much as I dislike the Tories, they are not the nazi party and trying to draw any kind of comparison to them is a bit juvenile. They are not his boss however, that's the whole point here.

Advertisement