Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying out or going through insurance

Options
  • 11-03-2023 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Howdy folks,

So I got in a bit of an accident a couple of weeks back, I was pulling out from a minor road turning right, and as I started to pull out on to the other side of the road someone tried to go around me and I hit the fender of their car.

I agreed to pay for the damages outside of insurance. He came back with a first quote of €2500, which I thought was an outrageous amount. So I went and got quotes of some garages around me, and they came back with a figure of €600 for repairs. So he went off to another garage and got a quote of €690 euro, which I agreed to pay as it was close to him and handy for transport. 

After agreeing on that figure he has now come back and said he wants an additional €65 euro for the cost of getting the first quote, which was never mentioned up until the point of going to pay for the insurance.

Out of principle I don’t think I should have to pay him €65 for a quote considering I got all of mine for free.

He has said he wants €750 euros or we have to go through insurance. Am I best to bite the billet and pay out? Or should I go through insurance and let them sort it? I’m just afraid my premium will go through the roof. I’m 26, I’ve been driving for 3 years and I have step back no claims discount, which will go back to 0 if I make a claim.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Bite the bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Lucky he's not looking for car hire in the meantime. Settle with him and get it all agreed on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

You did well to beat him down to €750. Just make sure you get a solicitor to draw up a letter for him to sign that this is full and final settlement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I was pulling out from a minor road turning right, and as I started to pull out on to the other side of the road someone tried to go around me and I hit the fender of their car.

Can you explain this a bit more. Was he pulling out from the same road as you or was he already on the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Will that stand up to a personal injury claim

Problem in a lot of these cases is the op is being dictated to by the other driver and may not be at fault at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

OP is in breach of their motor insurance policy conditions if they have done the following ;

1. Failed to notify their motor insurers of the accident.
    2. Entered in to negotiations without consent / approval from their motor insurers.

OP's policy will come up for renewal in due course. Depending on the wording of the renewal notice OP may find themselves misrepresenting their position at renewal by not declaring the accident. Allowing the policy to renew and remaining silent about the accident will probably constitute misrepresentation (non-disclosure) which is a serious matter if it is uncovered.

Advertisement