Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anything worth upgrading in this system?

Options
  • 11-03-2023 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I use my PC for gaming, not the latest and greatest games. I am reaching the point where some of the games I am looking at are recommending a faster CPU as the minimum. I am wondering if there is anything worth upgrading here but not really willing to spend more than about 150 -250 euro. I was thinking I might ba able to pick up a second hand CPU or something? But I am not too sure about compatible sockets. Any thoughts if a CPU upgrade could keep this PC going for another while? (I can live with the small disk, I tend to only play one or two games at a time and then delete when I am not playing often).

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16GB 2400 MHz

256GB SSD

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What's the motherboard model? It should be a socket LGA 1151 board, so the 9xxx series would be possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

not a lot you can do really id prefer a bigger ssd / or nvme

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭polysteamtoken

A CPU won't do anything you should consider upgrading your GPU you might be able to pick up a 1070 or 1080 (try get the ti models) for maybe 350 EU it will be worth it and I had a similar system with a rx480 4gb I now have a 1070ti I was playing games at 1080 at 70fps now I play at 2k at 90 fps so it looks better and renders much faster. The most impact performing part will always be the GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Download CPU-z and it should tell you what motherboard you have in the MB section.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

The best CPU your board will support is i7-6700, 6700K, i7-7700K. The newer S1151 CPU's 8th gen and 9th gen will not work.

Worth it? Not massively, given those CPU's are as slow by modern standards as a new €90 CPU.

But, it's a fairly straight forward, relatively cheap upgrade that'll put off a full system upgrade for another year or two.

CEX will sell you a i7-6700 for €78.

It depends on games being played. i7-6700 would do a lot better than an i5-7500 in modern games, but in a few of the very latest games it's still not a great CPU at all.

Games that it's still fairly able for that the 7500 kinda falters in would be the likes of Warzone 2, Apex Legends, Battlefield V, etc.

Very new games like Cyberpunk, Battlefield 2042, TLOU, etc type games would still run rough on a 6700, so at that point you're best off just getting a new board, cpu + ram.

• Advertisement
Advertisement