Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Water bringing pipe to Mains

Options
  • 11-03-2023 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I’m looking into bringing a water pipe to an Irish Water main to connect my home. I have applied to Irish Water and gotten a quotation of €70k. Chap that quoted followed up with if you get the pipe there we can connect it. It is mad. House is 400m up another road tee’d to main. I’m a project manager so I know how to do it and I have approached a local councillor who has enquired with a roads engineer and it’s no issue if I want to. All very rural road. I understand contractor with insurance, tm plan and possibly stop go. I have checked service drawings and all phone and power cables are on poles, nothing buried. Has anyone done this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,047 ✭✭✭✭muffler

See this story.

I cant recall with certainty but I believe the couple were allowed to eventually carry out the works themselves (apart from the actual connection) for a fraction of the cost but only after political intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,047 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Here you go ... a happy and successful conclusion to a potential rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭madmac187

Think il be doing it alright then, have to cross a very small river as well. Think il either put it into a flume or bury it in the river. It is woeful when you think about it, that’s €300 + a metre. I see prices for laying water pipe in Dublin in work for 17-22 a metre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭dathi

if you are crossing a river you will have to deal with inland fisheries as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭onrail

Stupid question - is a well not feasible at the location?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭madmac187

I have sunk a well, but I’m within a nearby area of a reactivating mine and they are going to pump for 6 months to draw down water and I’m in fear of that tbh. Besides if it’s not going to cost a massive amount, why not. Better to have security of it. Also thinking rainwater harvesting also.

Advertisement