Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reservations discussion

• 11-03-2023 10:40pm
    Administrators Posts: 398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion was created from comments split from: For Sale - Reservations.
    Post edited by Mickeroo on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Anybody complaining will be subject to post deletion? Surprised this is allowed, when PS5s were in big demand, boards.ie s sister site adverts banned the sale of them for profit. This is no different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I wouldn’t encourage this unless it was a not for profit type arrangement to help out fellow boards users. Legitimate expenses to be covered but anything further is just price gouging. The motor trade has enough of that already.

These should not be sold, what a stupid concept and contrary to everywhere else on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭The Mist

Is this to be encouraged? Really? And post will be deleted if anybody complains? Wow...

If you encourage free market rules, that's fine (not so fine with a lot of us), but at least allow for freedom of speech on a forum board??

Sticky as well "facepalm"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Exactly this. Boards also did not allow the selling of reservations and as far as I'm aware they actually banned posters who tried to sell them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,747 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You might want to read the charter for this forum.

No advertising - if you have something to sell then use www.adverts.ie, not here! Items put up for sale will result in the advert being removed and the user getting banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,142 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This is astonishing, frankly .

Especially the addition of the warning .

Absolutely crazy this is even considered . Its a forum not wall street. Why commoditize everything , like the US mentality running rampant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Adverts has no connection to boards anymore AFAIK

Are they not both owned by Distilled? They all are registered to the same address anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The intent behind the discussion would be removed from thread was to avoid polluting with discussion. So have it here instead.

Interesting you don't have a problem with the buy and sell thread.

There are situations where a person places a deposit on a car which is non refundable, why should the motor trade make free money from the customer when another person may be able to take up that order instead? A friend of mine lost €1,000 on an ID.4 deposit because her circumstances changed.

I see a difference between a person selling an Argos reservation with no cost to the reserver and someone who's paid a sum of money to the motor trade who want's to recover it. As a community we'll soon spot if people are doing it purely to make a profit.

• Advertisement

let’s call it what it is, a load of bollox.

its encouraging people to make an order and sell for a profit.

and it directly conflicts with the charter of the forum

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's an opportunity for people to gain their money back when a dealer refuses to refund them a non refundable deposit. Fair enough your on the side of protect the middle man from the consumer. I'm sure they'll celebrate your support with a free air freshener at your next service.

Nonsense.

I’ve 2 tickets to that match tomorrow, not refundable.

Do you want to buy them for €5,000?

I also have deposits for a Taycan , Model Y and E-Niro, €1000 down , yours for €1,800

tell me more about these middle men that you are so against

What's more likely to happen is what we've seen on other threads such as someone who's placed a deposit on Niro and is looking to transfer it into another's name at cost. The only brand that seems to have enough demand is Tesla, they have their own mechanisms for reducing touting.

The dealers are the middle men between consumers and manufacturers. I see no harm in helping people recover deposits. The dealer still gets to sell the original car so doesn't lose much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yet there's someone after selling their Y reservation on Boards and making money on it.

Read the room @liamog

Very few brands have available stock. Not sure why you think Tesla are any different

They're one of the few brands that have end-to-end control of the sales process. They've been known to cancel orders and block sales of people known to be flipping purchases.

It's pretty straight forward, if you don't want to take part in a process don't open the thread.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

I'm with @liamog on this one. It will be easy spot the buyers who pulled out for a genuine reason to those who just put down deposits with never any intention of purchasing.

Sorry @ted1 I'm not sure what kool-aid your talking of. I said "one of the few brands", that generally means that others are also doing it

Thanks, I think we should give it a go. If we are seeing big abuse by people then we add extra guidelines and rules to the thread.

That's a good argument for having it in one thread instead of subtly happening in others. It will become apparent very quickly when someone is abusing the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I created the thread which became a sticky not because i agree with it but i thought it important to highkight it.

Whilst I have no problem with those profiting from selling their reservation to the highest bidder I dont agree it being done here. Let them do it on donedeal or facebook but on a forum for EV enthusiasts, it should be discouraged. Scalpers should not be entertained here. There are other mediums to pry their business.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Indeed @80sDiesel, I'm looking at from a point of view of those who would otherwise lose a deposit. We can very easily add a guideline indicating that we expect people to offer slots on a non profit basis if it becomes a problem.

Having a friend who lost €1,000 to a dealer who was able to sell the car anyway irks me, this may well help towards a solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Why not make it clear that it should be a non profit transaction from the start?

You have already changed to original post to remove the queue skipping by paying a negotiated amount, just make it clear what is acceptable from the get go otherwise you will get someone putting up a reservation and requesting a “pm with offers” type of post.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I didn't go for my Y order so just told Tesla to give it to the next in the list, if someone had PM'd me they could quite easily have had my reservation and I'd have looked for my deposit back and would not entertain a profit element but I do not begrudge others for....how can I put it... an Admin charge.

Maybe I'm just harking back to the community spirit side of Boards

Thankfully we don't live in a Communist state so others should feel free to sell on a reservation and good luck if it suits seller and buyer.

• Advertisement

I'd rather restrict based on problems occurring rather than start with draconian rules. Not everyone immediately jumps to "evil".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

An "admin" charge, are you actually serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭Soarer

I can see both sides tbh, especially regarding people's change in circumstances.

I've a deposit down, lose my job, would like my money back. - These folk (I'd imagine) wouldn't care about their profit. Just getting their money back.

I'd love a Taycan and just won the cashcall on Newstalk. - Folk with money can pay to jump the queue, just depends on how much their willing to part with.

I think there should be a rule that a reservation can't be sold for less than the original amount + cost of transfer (if applicable) ie. the original poster isn't 1c out of pocket. This would stop people taking advantage of someone that's fallen on hard times, or just changed their mind.

Other than that, I think it should be a free market. If someone is happy to give me €2k for my €1k deposit, shur we're both delighted.

Those arguing that it goes against this and that, those lamenting about the old day of Boards...I get it. But everything's changing (not always for the better), but sometimes you just gotta suck it and see. I still want the old Boards layout back, but I'm not gonna boycott this place as I'm the one that ends up losing.

I know this post makes no difference to anything. But all I know is if I'd a depsoit and fell on hard times, it'd stick in my craw to have to try sell it on DoneDeal or Adverts and deal with lowball offers and "would you take my iPad and €500" merchants.

The warning is way OTT and completely unnecessary. It obviously isn't being enforced either as this thread would be blank if it was! 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Its just an enabling mechanism, a few people with the same line of thought can in theory can corner the market, might not work with say the ID4, but with other popular low volume brands, a number of them book cars, they can now come here post a message, make up a sob story, ask for a grand on top of there deposit .

A friend losing a 1000 euro deposit, no one though of putting it in the for sale thread? I would be happy if I got 500 back.

Haha, summary deletion, I read it first as summary execution.

Post edited by kanuseeme on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭Soarer

That was kinda my point.

If you're using a sob story, you're not gonna be asking for more than your deposit. You said yourself that you'd have been happy to get half it back.

If someone can make a few bob, more power to them. Moreso if someone can afford to pay the premium.

But someone that's only looking for their deposit back, whether supplying a sob story or not, should be helped out as best we can. I know if I was looking to throw a deposit on something and someone here was enabling me to jump the queue for no additional money, I'd be biting their hand off.

As for using the normal sale thread. That's more chat (from me included) than anything, so things are liable to get lost.

I really don't know what the rights and wrongs are. Like I said orignially, I can see both sides.

We'd very quickly spot that happening and could then put a stop to it.

• Advertisement

@liamog can you clarify if you are allowing individuals to make a profit on their reservation? for example selling a fully refundable tesla online reservation for more than the deposit paid?

For now I think we shouldn't block it, my intent is to allow advertisement of trades based on people recovering costs. The costs may be a little higher than the original reservation price e.g. if temporary insurance transfer is required for collection. We don't block people from selling cars they've owned for values higher than they paid. I always prefer rules to address problems instead of perceived ones.

We'll start imposing rules if people start taking liberties, for now I'd expect the community aspect to override.

Sounds very complicated, why would there be a temporary insurance transfer? How do you see a typical reservation sale working?

The only one I've been involved with was a Niro deposit, found a person to take our slot, the dealer was then willing to refund us the €500 deposit we'd paid, and took a new one direct from the new person. For us there was no money changing hands, not all dealers are so reasonable.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sorry folks, admins have decided not to allow this as the potential for people getting screwed over or trying to use it for profit is too high.

Closing this thread as the discussion is now moot.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement