Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE data breaches

Options
  • 12-03-2023 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 11 Fozzybear321

Hi

Has anyone received compensation as a result of HSE data breaches yet

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fozzybear321

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Have you suffered some quantifiable material loss as a result of the data breach or for what are you looking for compensation?

Only stress as a result of having personal information leaked on too the dark web.

Bump

https://www.irishtimes.com/technology/2022/11/29/data-stolen-in-hse-cyberattack-included-staff-financial-details

Have you received any information about what of your personal information was accessed or copied?

• Advertisement

Hi

Yes received a letter saying my name, patient number,phone number and date of birth were leaked

Thanks

• Did you Google yourself OP?

There’s tons of leaked info out there in the ether about lots of people. Google dorking is a bit of a pastime along with hacking methods as my curiosity is to see the mechanisms of accessing data rather than the data itself. Amazing what you dig up online without too much wizardry involved. Most of the info I’ve come across is generally basic.

I’d be more concerned if my record record were leaked, with diagnoses. Maybe I’ll leak my own name, DOB & phone number onto the dark web and seek a few bob out of the gubbermint. Then I will pay some of it back in tax, and do will everyone else help with this generous contribution.

With that information I'm sure they can find diagnosis etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,791 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You aren't going to get compensation.

Additionally, what has been leaked is mostly not information that isn't already accessible if people wanted to. Your name and DOB are public info and can be obtained by anyone from the GRO; without needing your consent. Your address, if registered to vote, can be inspected by anyone (albeit the uses of it for any purpose other than electoral purposes is now restricted unless you opt-in)

From the following article

https://www.clareecho.ie/what-to-do-if-your-data-privacy-is-breached/

if there is no material damage (actual and calculable financial loss) it would seem it would be difficult to reasonably prove any signinificant non-material damage from the limited scope of the information acessed.

Anyone looking for compensation will have to go through the courts. For that to be worthwhile I'd think there would have had to have been a significant financial loss incurred as a result of the data breach and/or the breach to have resulted in the disclosure of highly sensitive personal medical information.

I wouldn't be expecting any free money.

• Advertisement

Patient number my friend,alot of information can be found through this

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I've lost a quantifiable 3 minutes reading this thread.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If this is so important, you should have made the effort to confirm your email address and start a thread in a forum that's actually related to the topic. Instead you misused this one, and did nothing more than spam it with repeated bumps. This is being closed for obvious reasons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement