Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating but where to?

Options
  • 12-03-2023 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am living in Dublin and retiring soon. I hope to buy ideally 2 bed 2 bath house outside Dublin for a max budget of 250,000. My two other criteria are a good area and close to the railway network I'm open to any advice or suggestions

Post edited by Spear on

Answers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to a forum that's actually related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Portlaoise seems like a popular spot these days and would meet your criteria.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Rathangan/Monasterevin/Portarlington/Portlaosie would all fit the criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Be right back

Spotted this in Thurles. Seems to be a short walk from the train station. Looks nice inside too.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

limerick.. Castletroy. attractive destination somewhat distant from the railway station but regular bus links and the Green Bus links castletroy with Dublin, ennis, Tralee, Killarney etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Still decent value in Carrick-on-Shannon. Two hours on train to Dublin, one hour to Sligo, Mullingar.

Three bed, but €170k:

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/18-park-lane-carrick-on-shannon-co-leitrim/4664566#modal

Post edited by Grolschevik on

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭blarb

Dundalk could be an option. 1 hour by train to Dublin and to Belfast. 2 bed, 2 bath should be within that budget.

Post edited by blarb on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

2 bed, 2 bath are unusual outside Dublin and not very common even in Dublin. You could, for €250k get something in Athlone near mainline rail and multiple bus connections. Below are 2 examples.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-apartment-4-rinardo-house-ardr-athlone-co-westmeath/3903610

• Registered Users Posts: 29,327 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Do you want to get away from Dublin altogether, or be as close as you can get for that price?

When you say "close to the railway network" do you mean walking distance to the station, or a reasonable drive?

Do you want rural or in a town?

If it were me, I'd be off to the west coast for something completely different. Any town within about 2 hours of Dublin is going to be a commuter town, and the midlands I'm sure is lovely if you're from there or have connections but wouldn't be for me, esp as a blow-in.

But it depends on what you're looking for - a house is just a house, I'm sure you'd find a 2-bed/2-bath anywhere (or be able to make whatever you buy into one) - it's what's around you makes the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 D77

Thanks all for your advice, food for thought and areas to research.

• Advertisement
Advertisement