Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RACISM IN THE GAA

Options
  • 12-03-2023 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭

I'm starting this thread because I don't think this will be the last incident of thsi nature in the coming years and decades. Fair play to the Waterford minors for walking off and protesting this incident. Perhaps, a culture of similiar walk offs will prevent this type of thing from happening in the future. I wonder might it help the refs in their battle against abuse.

"A minor inter-county hurling challenge match between Offaly and Waterford was abandoned following an alleged incident of racist abuse.

The match, played two weeks ago in Dunmore Training Centre near Kilkenny, was into the second half when a Waterford forward is alleged to have been verbally abused by an Offaly opponent, leading to the Waterford team walking off the pitch in protest.

It’s understood the player, a highly talented young forward from one of the Waterford city clubs, has experienced similar abuse in previous matches at club and schools level.

While Waterford were incensed over the incident and unrepentant in taking the stand they did, the matter has been resolved between the counties and Waterford are happy to “move on”.

The hurler accused of the abuse is believed to have accepted his wrongdoing and written a letter of apology to the Waterford player while sources say that Offaly officials were keen to be seen not to condone the behaviour and made their remorse known on the night. There isn’t expected to be any further action taken."

Waterford minors walk off after hurler was racially abused in challenge against Offaly - Independent.ie

Comments

Advertisement