Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RACISM IN THE GAA

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

Was drinking with a fee lads from various countries and a few of us tried ro.promote GAA to them, saying their children should start playing. The response is that soccer is a better sport with a possibility small enough as it is that if you become successful you are financially rewarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Wexford chairman Micheal Martin has said a full investigation is under way into the "appalling" racist abuse of Lee Chin during an inter-county challenge match against Tipperary in Carrick-on-Suir on Saturday.

A supporter aimed the abuse at Chin in the closing stages of the match, with the referee subsequently blowing it up early as Wexford players angrily confronted the spectator in question.

Tipp, Wexford and the GPA all subsequently released statement condemning the incident, with Martin confirming that discussions have been taking place over the weekend in relation to the next course of action.

"It's been widely seen at this stage that there were comments of a racial nature made towards our captain Lee Chin," he told RTÉ's Morning Ireland.

"I think wisely at that stage, the referee called time. I would say we in Wexford are proud of the reaction of our players. I think they called out the action very promptly.

"It’s been widely acknowledged since that what happened was appalling, it was wrong and there’s no place for it in sport or society."

Asked what steps Wexford would take next, Martin replied: "I’ve been talking to the chairman of Tipperary on a number of occasions since.

"It's important due process does take place and that there’s an investigation… I would like to see it done quickly."

"Tipperary GAA and ourselves have taken it very seriously. We’re also liaising with Croke Park and an investigation has already commenced I would say and is progressing."

In Congress at February, a new anti-racism rule was passed. Any act, deed, word or gesture of a racist nature, now carries a 48-week suspension. A repeat infraction carries 96 weeks.

Martin added: "The rules of the GAA did change at a recent Congress in regards to this particular area, so it is quite defined in relation to the process that will take place, but an investigation will take place now.

"It’s important due process does take place and that there’s an investigation… I would like to see it done quickly.

"I don’t want to propose specific suspensions here because that would be to prejudice this particular investigation that’s ongoing at the moment but there is a number of options open to the committee up to expulsion from the association depending on how the severity of the particular incident.

"I spoke to Lee yesterday. It’s important here to consider a number of factors. Lee first of all, and his family because generally when anything is said to players of any nature it’s their family member who will take it to heart more.

"Players, to a degree are used to this, not that they should be used to it. Lee has spoken previously about this.

"He’s also spoken about the importance of challenging this type of behaviour, not just for himself but for the players who follow in his footsteps."

On The Sunday Game, analysts Anthony Daly and Liam Sheedy said the GAA must come down hard on the perpetrator.

"The association have to take a hard look at this," said Sheedy. "There's youngs kids and a lot of people at the match, it's gone viral on social media, so its out there. People do get heated and excited at matches but you cannot condone that type of behaviour. It has no place in the GAA. It's not acceptable.

"One of the greatest ambassadors we have in our game is Lee Chin. He's an incredible chap on and off the field."

Daly agreed, adding: "[Tipp manager] Liam Cahill and his men will be just disgusted as well. They'd have the height of respect [for Chin]. It has to be stamped out completely."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭jackboy

A lot of the condemnation of the racist are going on about what a great hurler Chin is. Being great at hurling is utterly irrelevant. Most of the condemnation does not feel genuine to me. If it was some mediocre Junior B player, as has been happening for decades, most in the GAA would not care I think. I’ll believe real change when I see it.

There is an instance of an underage players being protected just as much earlier in the thread. And reread the previous post to yours for a full and detailed response to the Chin incident beyond saying he is a great player (which is only a kind human response to the issue anyway.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭jackboy

Maybe your right but it just feels more of a PR drive than anything genuine. Time will tell though. Remember this incident is on the very low end of what regularly occurs at GAA and other sports matches.

• Advertisement

Just have to keep challenging it when it happens in the stands and on the pitch. When it's done at the top, people tend to realize they have the power to stop it also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭CWMMC

How is Lee Chin and Rory O Connor calling out blatant racism a PR drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What the hell is this? It's borderline victim blaming

Some of the replies to this interview/tweet are unbelievably stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its been going on for years. I played with couple lads in 90s who were not Irish and the **** they got was unreal.

GAA is actually worse than soccer too for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Racism can be an issue in any environment. It really is down to where those with racist leanings are.

Are there a larger percentage of racists that attend GAA matches versus attend other sports or are in general society? I don't personally believe so. Does society have an issue with dealing with racism?

I think there are certain people who's lack of education and/or life experience who need to be better educated around the dangers of racism, and instances of racism in any environment treated with the contempt it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭crusd

Jaysus. Having a read of that thread really is informative as to the complete absence of any brain cells within the far right.

it is quite bizarre the number of them who profess that encouraging more people from diverse backgrounds to integrate into the GAA is somehow “racist against whites”. It really is an anti reality mindset

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

It's the accounts that use their real names, location and a picture of themselves (occasionally with their family) that really baffle me. Some troll using a pseudonym and a profile picture of Hitler wearing a Mayo top, while clearly a horror of a person, is at least displaying enough self awareness to know that most of society finds what they are saying objectionable.

Like, I often second guess myself when it comes to discussing issues like race or sexuality because I don't want to express myself poorly and come across as bigoted. There's people in the replies just coming out with unquestionably racist stuff and putting their name on it. WTAF?

Advertisement