Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you collect JSA on a Monday?

Options
  • 12-03-2023 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I asked the post office clerk last Wednesday the 8th March what days can I collect my JSA at the post office. She looked at her computer and said that the system was showing her that that weeks JSA had become available on the 6th of March (which would be a Monday) and would be available at the post office until the 14th March (which would be Tuesday of the following week).

This is what she told me but as she looked at her computer screen she seemed unsure of herself. I have never heard of being able to get your JSA on a Monday. And it seems an awfully long time for the JSA to remain available at the post office until the Tuesday of the following week.

Do you think she was right - JSA can be collected on a Monday and is available until Tuesday of the following week (at which time it gets sent back to the DSP)?

Post edited by mp22 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

JSA or JSB can be collected on the day your supposed to collect it. Being available to collect is really not relevant, also, failure to collect on the day may result in it being returned and claim suspended.

The days are long gone were folks can collect a few days after due collection day. This or similar question already dealt in another thread.

The only exception are rare occasions were your payment date falls on a public or bank holiday.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭GerryCarry

I doubt they would be so strict as to make you collect your JSA on a certain day each week. Some people might need a drive from a neighbour to the post office and can only get that drive on a certain day. Also, some people go to town on the same day as say their Jobpath meeting is on in order to only have one journey into town, and so save on petrol. Also have to allow for a situation where the persons car wont start that morning.

For these reasons there always has and always will be a bit of leeway as to which days you can collect JSA.

I'm afraid DSP are not to concerned how those on Jobseeker payments get to their local post office. There was a time, their was leeway, but no more. I'd not advise anyone to not pick up their payment on the day they are required to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Tuesday is my payment day, but if I leave it til later in the week it's always still there. I've never tried collecting it any day the following week because, well, I would need the money before that! I would imagine if it was uncollected by the next scheduled payment date they would stop it, I definitely wouldn't let it go past Friday or Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭gipi

Regarding returned payments, that was the arrangement pre-Covid. I don't know if it changed since then.

Tuesday payments can be uploaded to An Post systems early (it avoids a disaster if anything went wrong on Tuesdays), that's hy the clerk saw a Tuesday payment on Monday.

• Advertisement

Thanks. That makes good sense. The post office clerk did not seem familiar with her own computer system but was simply telling me what she interpreted her own computer screen to be saying - that the payment looked to her like it could be collected on a Monday and up to the Tuesday of the following week.

I wouldn't advise anyone here to take that as gospel though. She simply might not be familiar enough with the system.

My own guess would be that Friday would be the last day you could collect it at the post office each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

The post office clerks role in your SW claim is simply to accept your PSC, swipe it and hand you whatever amount the screen states you are entitled to.

He or she shouldn’t have offered an opinion on which day you can collect your Jobseekers payment. You should have been referred to your local SW office for any queries you have.

You didn’t go there because you know perfectly well that if you are adhering to the conditions attached to your claim then you have to collect it on the day it’s paid and you don’t want there to be a review of your claim.

Precisely, I'm not at all sure why folks believe picking and choosing a day for collection of Jobseekers payment is allowed. Admitidly there was flexibility shown during covid and on days a payment falls on a public /Bank Holiday and yes over the years but it is clear from my reading of the DSP rules, payments must now be collected on the day claimant is supposed to collect it.

It’s the snide remarks about the post office clerk that annoy me. He wanted her to commit to confirming that he had X amount of days open to him to collect his SW.

He didn’t ask in the obvious place, his local SW office because he knew that might trigger a review.

Then when she seemed a bit vague hes seriously irked and sneers that she “doesn’t understand her own computer system”.

Post office employees should immediately shut down any queries about the entitlement to payments and refer claimants to the SW section relevant to them or the CIC.

Collect your bloody payment on the day it’s due and if you can’t then explain why to the department and see if it can be sorted out.

Great advice. That's what I was thinking myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Whilst I agree that the DSP is certainly the better place to ask, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask the clerk a question either. Do you not think pensioners ask them all kinds of questions about payment dates and such, and expect them to know because they work there? They certainly do, and of course an post has trained the clerks to be able to respond somewhat accurately. In my town if you ring the dole office they sometimes don't answer the phone at all as it's a small office with few staff.

Asking them if your payment would still be available a few days later would not trigger a review, as there could be many reasons you aren't able to make it to the PO that day. And anyone reasonable can see that, but I'm sure in the mind of the typical boardsie dole basher, that person could only be asking because they have a lucrative nixer on the side on that day, right?

Funny enough what seems to trigger reviews or extra focus on a person by the dept in my local area is based simply on if you're well known. My family is from the town but I didn't grow up here. When I first moved I was on the dole and sent to jobpath straight away. I got a job which I had for 2 years, got let go just before Christmas and have already had to go to 3 meetings with Intreo.

Conversely a neighbouring family in my estate has 3 men in the household on the dole for their whole lives. They are not called to any meetings.

Another man in the estate has a big white van with a ladder and runs a cash business painting houses. When I first moved up and in-person signing was still in place (pre-covid) he stood in the queue for signing in clothes completely covered in splattered paint. I was right behind him.

The woman at the counter greeted him by name saying, 'Ah,_____, doing a bit of paintin'?'

'Aye, sure it's a great day for it!' he replied (it was a sunny spring afternoon). Not a bother on him or her, and he's still at it to this day.

They pick and choose who they check up on or make things more difficult for, and IME it's the more genuine jobseekers that get harassed the most. If you've been in jail or are from a 'well known' family you're left alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The woman at the counter greeted him by name saying, 'Ah,_____, doing a bit of paintin'?'

'Aye, sure it's a great day for it!'

I used to do that but instead of going in, in my work clothes I'd strip off outside and the woman at the counter greeted me by saying 'Ah wotzgoingon, doing a bit of nuding'?'

I said 'Aye, sure a great day for it!'.

Did you know that claimants can work less than 4 days a week and still get some jobseekers? So it’s entirely possible that a working man was signing on in his work clothes.

Yes the PO clerk can say “yes Mrs O’Brien next Friday is a Public Holiday so you can collect your pension on Thursday or Saturday morning if you like”.

Incidentally pensioners can let their pension run in the post office for 90 days.

That’s because pension is an entirely different payment to Jobseekers.

Different schemes have different rules.

If you can’t collect your Jobseekers the day that your assigned then you have to let the SW know in advance:

You don’t need to ring the SW office to find that out. It’s information freely available on the internet, as you can see.

If anyone asks the PO clerk how long their payment will stay in the PO then I think that that’s the best response the PO clerk could give.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pyres

My friend was out of the county for two weeks and it was all there, This happened about a month ago. They did not notify anyone.

My own JSA collection is on Tue but I always collect it on Friday without any issues.

I completely forgot that the PO was closed on fri due to paddys day, I missed the Friday collection.

So on the same boat now wondering if it will be there on monday.

Welcome to Boards , did you set up an account just to post this nonsense 🙄.

Your "Friend" seems quite the daring adventurer, Leaving without telling anyone and 2 weeks later their jobseekers payment magically ,just waiting for them 🙄

Let's hope your friend didn't pay for their trip using an account , DSP will likely request a recent bank statement from whilst reviewing their claim.

Calling my post "nonsense", the condescending eye roll emoji.

I sympathise, at certain age the years of toxic energy and grudges accumulate and results in using the internet as an outlet to unload the (many) chip's on your shoulder.

But parading your bitterness behind your keyboard through valueless, socially inept posts on forums probably isn't the best solution to your issues?

My post wasn't "nonsense". It was factually based in reply to OP's question. The money was there after two weeks.

She has a job on the table so no one will be checking any bank statements. (no fear mongering needed)

As for me joining the forum, no it was to ask a different question which I got the answer to. But thanks for the added chuckle.

Don't be so negative your quality of life might improve with a bit of optimism. Family wont put up with you? Perhaps buy a cat? or five? yoga?

The "State Benefits" section is gloom enough as it is. Save the eye roll emoji's and condescending comments, no need whatsoever.

Be sure to update us on Monday as to whether it was there or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I honestly read through this post and I will not reply with what I was thinking as I would be banned.

God forbid you got banned. Might actually push you to be useful with your day.

I didnt realise people like eye roll emojis and garbage posts.

its just a feature of this particular part of the site that it occasionally attracts posters who have an interest in SW benefits and medical cards and stuff.

They have a total fantasy in their heads of how these things operate e.g. “you can leave your JSB in the post office for weeks while you go on holidays, you don’t have to inform SW before you go, it’ll be all there for you when you get back”.

The problem with posting that stuff here is that someone might actually read it and believe it so the post had to be corrected, much to the annoyance of the poster.

• Advertisement

I really cant grasp the delusional ramblings here? Are you on JSA? have you any experience collecting the money after the appointed date?

Why are you even commenting if not? Multiple people have stated as fact that they have collected JSA after the appointed date. I suggest scrolling up.

There was a 20 day collection window for JSA to be collected as a covid measure. It appears some post offices still have it in place.

Let me repeat, your second post on Boards is complete nonsense, I made no attempt to be condescending, just pointing out fact.

Had you been on Boards any length of time, you'll know I'm not bitter and try to be helpful, but equally will call out nonsense.

More attention seeking, so here goes.

Notwithstanding the fact @TooTired123 has a wealth of experience helping folks on this forum, like me they have been around this site a while.

Rambling generally occurs when folks either refuse to listen to advice or ignore facts or come on here posting utter nonsense when folks asking perfectly ligitimate questions.

🙄😂

I couldn't have said it better myself. It was all there today. They also included next weeks. I trust this situation humbles you to not be so condescending and bitter. You and TooTired have just wasted space in this conversation with your worthless little eye rolls and in your own words you have refused "to listen to advice or ignore facts or come on here posting utter nonsense when folks asking perfectly ligitimate (didn't bother correcting your spelling) questions." 🙄

So in complete contrast to your delusional and "utter nonsense" Im actually answering O.P's question. Yes it can in fact be collected on a Monday with 100% certainty.

EDIT: They were nice enough to include next weeks as well.

It was all there mate. Pay no attention to Tootired and Dempo. Some minds starts to fade with age.

Although it's always great to disprove Narcissists, best not to get provoked by their nonsense

Dear lord you really are beyond pathetic. Notwithstanding you've entirely missed the point on Designated payment dates, Friday was a public holiday.

It astonishes me that someone would go to the trouble of setting up a boards account to try make a point (Badly) but actually go to the trouble of photographing a JOBSEEKERS payment slip 🥱🙄

Thanks for your help.

Can i ask what time of the day you collected it? Going by previous comments on here i have a theory that the DSP forwards JSA payments to the post office on a Monday with the expectation they will be collected Tuesday morning. This could mean in theory that if you went in Monday morning, and the DSP had not yet sent the payment to the post office, the post office would not be able to give you that weeks upcoming payment. So in other words if you were to collect JSA on a Monday, then late Monday evening before the post office closes might be the best time to do it to ensure the DSP has sent the payment over to the post office. This of course is just a theory, i could be wrong. So what time today did you pick up your payment at the post office?

On a separate note, its possible that the post office will allow you to collect JSA each week up until Friday before sending it back to the post office. This might be their general rule. But because last Friday was a bank holiday, they allowed in this one instance for JSA to be collected on the following Monday to make up for the fact that the post office was closed on Friday. This is again just a theory. I say this in case anyone else on here might think it is 100% certain that you can collect JSA on the following Monday of each and every week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement