Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Contacted by ex colleague

• 12-03-2023 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Former employee was pushed out the door at retirement age but probably felt he could have stuck around longer. He seems to have a bee in his bonnet that I was lined up to take some of his duties and contributed to his leaving. Has emailed me at work to this effect. What should I do? I don't want to make hassle but also don't want to come in to emails like this every few days.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,131 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ignore it.

The end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Don't respond. Set up a rule to delete his mails, it may seem cold but reading or responding to them are not part of your duties. Let his former manager or whoever else he is also emailing deal with this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Set up a rule in your mail to send emails from that address to the deleted folder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Be careful about setting up a rule to auto delete emails as it might contravene with your company's IT policy. If it has happened multiple times then you should make the manager and/or HR aware of this.

If it was just the once, then ignore as it might just be him blowing off steam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,046 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Wow his job must have been brilliant if he wanted to stay there past retirement age. Personally if I was asked to leave at retirement with full pension I'd probably run out of the building cheering 😂

As others said, ignore him. Setup a filter to put his emails in a folder and mark them as read. If he has some personal issues which means he's obsessed with his former career rather than looking forward to retirement then that's his problem to solve

I'd be tempted to send a reply along the lines of "I had nothing to do with it so please kindly f**k off and stop emailing me or I'll bring the matter to HR". But there's probably no point in this, as you say he's got his mind made up and if you tell him otherwise then he'll probably just decide you're lying

I would also inform your manager about this behaviour. As I said, keep the emails as a record of needed. Similarly if he tries to contact you separately (by phone or in person) make sure you record the time and a summary of what was said

If it goes further and legal action is needed then having a complete record, plus showing that the company was aware of this will be important

Hopefully he'll get bored speaking to a brick wall and will move on with his retirement

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ignore, but also advise your manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,125 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ask your manager. That's what they're paid manager money for.

If he has a bee, he could be a security or commercial risk for the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Forward the email to HR.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

This. Do not respond and contrary to what people are saying do not delete the mails rather store them in a separate folder. Depending on his condition there may be a court case in future where they may be needed.

Advertisement