Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest live concert you've ever attended

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Oasis Parc Ui Chaoimh 1996 with Prodigy supporting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Was also at Pearl Jam in Berlin 2018 and would have that as my #1 live gig. What a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Opening with Wash is an all-time gig moment. Unreal day, few beers, then bam, play a b-side to get a 20k crowd going.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,953 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Man, my whole family was so sad when Neil Peart died, I've never seen my dad actually emotional about the passing of a musician or famous person. Really hit him hard, he's been listening to them since the early 70s.

What's hit him (and the rest of us) almost as hard is living in a world where they no longer go on tour 😥

One of my favourite family memories is the five of us going over to London to see them playing on the Snakes and Arrows tour in 2007.

Still can't believe we got to see them again four years later actually playing in Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Rage Against the Machine - Point 2010. The energy was unbelievable. Twas the height of the recession so there was a feeling around the country of being pissed off. It was definitely like a collective anger release!

Best day of music was Slane 2003 which also happened to be my first gig. RHCP, Foos, Qotsa, Feeder, PJ Harvey. Perfection!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

The Smashing Pumpkins in London in 2018 was a great one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭HBC08

I think for most people their first gig or the first time seeing your favourite band or your first Festival/Slane is going to be a big deal and you'll always remember it fondly.

There's no way any gig would get the reaction,excitement and just pure wonderment out of a mid 40s me vs teenager me.

I'm not sure if this counts as a concert but the recent Bono solo gig had all those feelings coming back.I didn't know what to expect, didnt even know he'd be singing.It was made all the more special that phones weren't allowed.That man had the crowd in the palm of his hand,I was blown away.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DB83

Was at both the Bruce and Aerosmith concerts you mentioned - both amazing.

Always think that it can be circumstances that make a gig stand out as well - with all accommodation in Kilkenny booked out for the concert, myself and two friends hired a rental van, parked it up in kilkenny city and slept there after a gig for the ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

These two gigs in the National Stadium standout for me.

David Gilmour March 1984

Huey Lewis & the News October 1986

I saw Huey again when they opened the Point in 1988 but it was not the same. The sound and the tightness of the Stadium was excellent.

• Advertisement

Would've given my right bollick to be at that Huey gig.

Saw him (and met him, really nice guy) working at a Huey gig in 99 in America. Great gig but obviously years past their peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Oh FCUK OFF you showoff!!!

I'm not jealous. Honestly 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

• Registered Users Posts: 40 camanstar

Rush Roll the Bones tour Wembley 1991, Test for Echo tour 1997 Boston Garden, Vapor trails tour 2002 Boston + many more times

Whitesnake SFX 1986

Thin Lizzy RDS 1979

Motley Crue & Cheap Trick Hammersmith Odeon 1986

Marillion SFX 1986

Porcupine Tree The Pod 2010

Roxy Music RDS 1986

Monsters of Rock Donnington 1984 (AC/DC, Van Halen, Oxxy, Gary Moore, Accept, Motley Crue)

Better stop now......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭HBC08

100%

That gig looked like it should have been amazing but was a bit of a non event.

Oasis were not really on form and still had their heads at Knebworth where they'd played a few days earlier.The crowd was way more subdued than Oasis 6 months earlier in the Point or the year before supporting REM at Slane

The Prodigy were very good that day but most of the crowd were more of a rock crowd although the Prodidgy definitely won them over.

The bootleg Beatles were good craic though!

It wasn't. Never saw a good Oasis gig. Fairly meh live.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Already listed my best gigs on the other thread so won't put ye thru that again! 😊

Seeing Thin Lizzy on stage in my home town as a little one, I will never ever forget.

The Beat and The Specials in Cork 1979 was amazing,.great crowd.

The Rolling Stones, Slane 1982

And

Sprinsteen Wembley 1985

Both long gigs everybody engaged and sun shining!

But my favourite is because I just love em....

The Cure, Malahide Castle, 2019. Great gig, sunsetting beautiful evening, another fabulously long gig with some of my most loved friends.

(Saw them in December last in 3 Arena, and while a good gig found the lack of engagement by some people in the crowd around us off putting. Was good when we moved away from them.)

I think the best gigs are when you are amongst like minded fans and the band show respect for their audience by playing a good long gig and are visibly enjoying themselves. I like being free to dance as well.

Think thats why those gigs wete the best for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭dogbert27

As others said it's the experience.

16 years old, first big concert with all your friends around you with your favourite band playing, it was brilliant to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I mustntt have been into the Prodigy back then. I was at one of those days in Cork. I remember hey Jude (presumably by the Bootleg Bealtes) and really enjoyed Oasis, but don't recollect having any memories of the prodigy. But I did see them at the Feile that was in Cork the year before and it was really good. I think Moby and the prodigy were on the one day.

Best gigs for me ARE :-

Sigur Ros in the Olympia 2005 - paid a lot to touts to get the last ticket going. But it was worth it. Amazing experience

Eddie Vedder - his first solo gig in 3Arena some years back. Incredible experience. That was probably my favourite ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Daniel Lanois in the Olympia - forget year. Trippy light show, banned in US apparently.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Greatest: The Cure at The RDS, July 1989. Here's a piece I wrote about it - https://wheresgrandad.wordpress.com/2012/08/21/when-the-cureheads-invaded-ballsbridge/

Most intense: Morrissey at The National Stadium, April 1991. A steady procession of stage-invaders all night

Roughest: The Housemartins at The Bridge Hotel, Waterford, October 1986. Gobbers (The Proclaimers were covered in spit), gougers, Carlsberg Special Brew. The Dublin leg got half time oranges and Fat Boy Slim rapping.

First: U2 at Croke Park, June 1985. Ably assisted by In Tua Nua, REM, Squeeze and The Alarm.

Best festival: Féile 1995

Highly recommended: Ennio Morricone at The Belfast Festival, October 2008. The Smiths at The National Stadium, February 1986. The House Of Love at McGonagles, February 1989. The Wedding Present at The SFX, May 1991. The Fall at The Tivoli, October 1993.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Re. Feile 93, I take it you didn't hang around for Spiritualized after Iggy then? They were initially scheduled to play around 6pm but obviously someone had seen them before, recognised their magnificence at that point and bumped them up to unofficial headliner.

Dustin interviewed them on the big screen beforehand and asked "What can we expect?" to which bassist Sean Cook replied "A total head f+ck" 😁😎 They were true to their word. Alongside their Glastonbury appearance 6 or 7 weeks previously they remain the greatest festival sets i've ever seen.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

Was that Lizzy's Chinatown tour in 1980 when they played the RDS? Properly jealous.

There was another act on after The Almighty whom I loved at the time and primarily went to see, Alice In Chains. Megadeth in the Olympic Ballroom in 1988 was my first concert when I was 13. Went with my brother - it was properly mental. Someone jumped off the balcony expecting to be caught by the crowd and broke both their legs. They banned metal concerts after that. The following night they played Belfast and expecting a similar reaction to the line in Anarchy in the UK "...is this the IRA" - Mustaine tried to urge on the crowd and all hell broke loose. That's the background of where their song "Holy Wars" comes from.

My aunt was at that Led Zep gig in the National Stadium in 1971 - second ever time they played Stairway in front of an audience. She said it was amazing. On a similar note my best friends dad got the ferry over from Dublin and went to the Isle of Wight festival in 1970 to see Hendrix, The Doors, Miles Davis etc. spending half his time tripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

Paul Simon performing Graceland album in 2012 in the point. He's a musical genius. Jesus how I'd love to have seen him and Art Garfunkel live. I often watch their central park gig.

Fleetwood mac in the point 2015 X2. I saw them the year before without Christine and it just wasn't the same. The 2015 gigs were euphoria for me.

Special mentions to ELO in 2018/2019 (Jeff Lynn doesn't age) and U2 slane 2001

My old next door neighbour was at Woodstock. But doesnt remember most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Count, he certainly did. Sports & Fore which had just been released made up the majority of the setlist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

it don't take money, it don't take fameand if I ain't just saved yo liiiiiiiifffffe.... Dats Da Powa a Luv!!!!

Tel me he roared out " Heart n Soul "

Advertisement