Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest live concert you've ever attended

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I was a couple of rows from the front. Epic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Plant/Page - No Quarter - The Point 1995. ( two orchestras either side of the band, including the great late Michael Lee on drums). Stunning rework of their music.

Zeppelin , Frankfurt Festhalle - July 1980. 6 weeks before Bonham ( and the band) died

Zeppelin - Knebworth. August 4th, 1979.

Tool, Point depot, May 2022. What a band. Danny Carey a drumming God.

Way too many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I thought the Robert Plant gig at Electric Picnic 2013 was pretty amazing, the closest I came to the Led Zeppelin experience as he played a fair bit from 4 and II albums and with ex-members of Massive Attack had this beautiful bombastic sound. A strange downbeat version of Black Dog.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Bodhrándude

My daughter was at the EP 2013 gig and loved that Plant session too.

Even during the "Strange Sensation" gig in Olymia 2005, he integrated the Zepp stuff so strangely but so well.

I loved Plant because he re-invented himself so many times. Actually met him in the Green Room in RTÉ years ago.

( as you may have guessed, I was an affecionado !)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I have very fond memories of that gig, went to it with some mates from work and my now wife, great night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,941 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Neil Young in Slane 1993. I've been at nearly all the Slane concerts but this was excellent and on a beautiful day.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

Yes, I very much enjoyed that gig too. His band that day were Booker T and the MGs if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Who writes this ?!??!

"made up for the lack of sunshine." - It was sunny all day there !?

"a relatively new three-piece outfit from Seattle, Pearl Jam." maybe he just cant count ??

I have a luminous yellow version of the poster above.

bootleg tshirt.

I also have a 6ft by 4ft pink promotional poster of PJ at slane that i robbed off the terrace in Dalymount pk while the RHCP were playing.

I peeled it off a cardboard background while sitting on the grass.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Wow, I remember the actual ticket so vividly now I see that! That was a great day alright. Gloria in the sun on the hill is my standout memory, that and Needle and the Damage done, which I was desperately hanging on for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Yep, Neil was one of the better Slanes. Although my abiding memory of that day is of doing poppers sitting on the wall of the Garda station beforehand, not realising exactly where i was sitting.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Rush -O2 -May 12th 2011 10 feet away fromt the legends(tickled pink)!

normally had to travel abroad to get my fix but this was 2hours up the road!

What a show that was!

Post edited by seanin4711 on

• Registered Users Posts: 34,953 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

one of my favourites ever too, was absolutely incredible finally seeing them in Dublin.

Hard to believe it was 2011 though! Although a little easier to believe when I look back at photos of myself 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭cannco253

found a few clips from some of my list, one concert isn't enough...

• U2 Rotterdam 1987

• Iggy Pop Feile 1993

• Pixies Brixton 2004 - reunion concert, never seen Brixton as packed

• Nick Cave Brixton 2004

• Nick Cave 02 London 2017

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Rammstein in the Point 2012.

The Darkness in the Spirit Store 2015.

Pantera in Altice Arena 2023. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

Metallica - Top Hat 1988 - And justice for All tour

14yrs old, first proper gig, mind blown!!!

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Not a huge concert goer but saw some nice ones over the years.

What probably stands out was Dio in 1998 in Berlin. Greatest metal voice ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,953 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My mam is having a clear out at the moment and found the following in the back of a wardrobe.

20 years ago this year, hard to believe.

I was right up the front, some random lad handed me a massive joint during Freebird. What a time to be alive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭scuba8

My younger brother and his mates were at Live Aid so can’t beat that.

I am very bad on dates,but

Eric Clapton in the stadium mid seventies

Joan Armatrading again in the mid seventies at the Stadium.

BB King in the stadium mid seventies

The Rolling Stones in the Point early 2000’s

David Bowie at the Point early 2000’s.

U2 at Croke Park with The Pretenders as support.

Springsteen at Slane.

the amazing Rory Gallagher in the stadium in the seventies. Every concert was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

Danzig stole the show that night and I was a full on Metallica obsessive. Megadeth a few months prior blew my unsupervised 13 year old head - and it was wild. Guess we got lucky in that era. This was a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

yeah meant to give Danzig a mention, they were brilliant, the opening bars of Battery will be etched in my brain forever, every time i still hear it I hear my mate roaring in the background! class, a guy i was with dived off the balcony into the crowd! mad bstrd!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

My actual first live gig probably still is the best for me...U2 Zoo TV at the RDS in 1993. Just amazing...the thrill of finally seeing them live, the Achtung Baby stuff I was mad for (still am) and just the sensory overload of all that was going on with the screens, the Trabants, the Lou Reed bit, Can't Help Falling in Love....everything was just awesome.

U2 never really fail to deliver so they've been brilliant so many times. Aside from them, Brian Wilson doing Pet Sounds live at The Point first time around was amazing. Just the fact he had come back from the brink and was doing the whole of that amazing album with a sensational band followed by Beach Boys hits...such a buzz and a joy to see a genius at work.

So many others...McCartney at the O2 was superb. A couple of festival sets also stand out. PiL at Electric Picnic were superb as were Passion Pit - quite unexpectedly. My wife wanted to go although neither of us knew much about them but the tent was rammed and they were top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Thats quite incredible, I have always said this Amen gig in TBMC was up there in my top 2-3 too! Absolute mayhem. I didnt think anyone else felt the same! :D

That ATDI gig was something else as well.

Super thread by the way.

Advertisement