Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol red dot reccomendations?

Options
  • 13-03-2023 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

What red dots do you use for your pistol and how do you find it thinking of getting a red dot for my mk iv.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Used a knockoff RMR to test the concept as I wasn't convinced about their efficacy, particularly on a 22 with a reciprocating slide upon which the dot would be mounted.

That worked without issue, enough to see some appreciable gains in performance and without any modifications to the gun or recoil spring needed, so then I went for a Holosun HS507C X2, because of the switchable reticles:

And after reading a bit online the open circle without dot seemed to be a worthwhile option to go for, and it really was. It's the only reticle I use now for anything but zeroing. The idea of actually not looking at a dot and instead looking through the circle at the target itself really compliments how our eyes naturally work, so I'd definitely recommend the open circle reticle regardless of the optic you end up choosing.

The only caveat, which in your case is not applicable, is I did have to modify my recoil spring after adding the Holosun as it is is heavier than the RMR clone and so resulted in the slide not locking back consistently, and sometimes not moving back far enough to pick up the next round. All because of the extra slide weight.

But as said, not an issue for you but more any FYI for anyone else reading this who is planning on slide mounting an optic with a reciprocating slide .22.

As far as the knockoff RMR went, and for the price, it was perfect for what I needed at the time. Let me get my eye in with dots, was cheap and nasty but a perfect validation before spending a lot more money, I think the knockoff cost like €35 shipped.

The Holosun I am very happy with. Had it for about a year or so now, and it has never had any issue whatsoever. Never blinks under recoil, no loss of zero, never changed the battery yet. I did deactivate the light sensing feature which made the dot brighter or dimmer depending on ambient light, but that was just my preference to have it set at a happy medium, and leave it at that. The shake awake feature has also been flawless, conserving battery life and always coming on when moved.

If I was(or rather when) to get another I would like to try an enclosed dot, simply because a design failing of all open emitter dots, particularly in Ireland with our weather, is rain and recently snow can obscure the dot, particularly if the pistol is holstered with the dot uncovered. But that is a minor gripe and something I was aware of when I bought, and certainly something I can and have been able to live with quite successfully.

If you've any other questions about dots that I may have not thought of just post them up and I'll answer if I know ;)

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

Actually, one addendum to the above.

You might find it rather a pain to find an optics compatible holster if you stray away from the most common pistols(Glock, S&W M&P, etc).

Particularly good quality and safe ones(ie not fabric or soft leather).

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

For plinking or target competition? Not convinced for the latter,seemed like extra time to acquire the dot imo,the downsides outweighed any advantage and I dont recal seeing many at target competitions. That said, I think the other poster is on to something with the illuminated circular reticle,but Id go with the illuminated dot.

I was thinking that same as yourself in regards to acquiring the dot vs irons, particularly given the number of presentations I had with irons(many thousands) vs about 10(all with a RMR on a 9mm Glock overseas) with a dot and the muscle memory involved there, hence going for the knockoff first.

But I was actually pleasantly surprised that after about 20-30 presentations with the knockoff RMR I actually was faster acquiring the dot than the irons. It was just easier to do. No having to align your sights, no focus on the front sight, just put the reticle on the target, and if you can see the reticle that is where the round will go. As I once heard someone say, "just put the thing on the thing and pull the thing and you'll hit it" haha.

Your mileage may vary of course, but I've yet to have anyone shoot both and be faster with irons after they have gotten sufficient reps in with presenting the dotted pistol.

All that being said I do still use both irons and dot, but going from the former to the latter just feels like cheating at this point :P

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Just to add my two cent worth :-)

I've been shooting red dot for what must be since 2011 if memory serves me....

I have astigmatism in my vision. I find the Red Dot is pretty good to assist me in shooting. The main problem is in my right eye the astigmatism in right eye causes me to be left eye dominant (while still being right handed).

So what this means if shooting iron sights is that i have to lean my head over very much father to the right to shoot left eye dominant - if you follow.

Where the RD is great is that it is basically Parallax error free and you are suppose shoot with both eyes open (well close one if you want but it doesn't make any difference - your dominant eye will take over anyway).

In addition I have got the smallest dot (dot, not RD unit) - which at the time all those years ago was a 3moa dot (for both reasonable cost and availability).

Also at that time it was difficult to get advice on size MOA as all YOUTUBE would have you get was a 6MOA (all US content) - which to me didn't make any sense as i was shooting competition here and at 25m even a 3moa can be really too big (I might go looking for a reasonable 1.5 or 2MOA version one if i can).

They were all red dots at the time as well...I'd like to shoot a green dot if i could...

I caught on that the American Cousins were stating 6moa because they usually consider hitting the paper at all is a success (My apologise to any US friends that are reading this but that's the type of YT i was watching - also would have been IPSC stuff - also I couldn't resist having a dig LOL).

I have a Docter C-sight and 2 Vortex Vipers (all 3moa) never really lost zero on them - but i tend to check them every 6 months to check.

The small ones are light and great for .22lr pistols and i even have on on my Revolver....

The holster thing is another issue as well. I have had custom made ones from the US (getting dearer now) and one just recently made by Falco (great quality!) I was able to request a RD cut out on the holsters. (extra cost on the Falco...).

• Advertisement
Advertisement