Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To Tesla or not..

• 13-03-2023 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Currently drive a kia sportage and thinking of makin the switch to a EV.

Budget is €45k all in with the grant.

Not sure what to pull the trigger on, a tesla model 3 or something else.

Is there anything to rival the tesla currently, I haven't a clue tbh

Any help would be much appreciated.

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

You’ll get inundated with opinions and sniping for and against Tesla, imho I tested everything last year when looking and I couldn’t find anything to beat Tesla for tech or value it’s personal preference, book a test drive in one and see for yourself, both the M3 and MY are excellent cars depending on you preference or stage in life

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brian2614

Thanks so much for you reply.I cant see alot in that price range to match a tesla tbh. Maybe am wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭VikingG

First you should decide if EV is right for you - familiarise yourself with the pros and cons of EVs generically and then test drive a few cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You're correct there's not much in that price range currently. Tesla recently dropped prices and other manufacturers are waiting to see what happens

Kinda hard to beat the value of the Tesla at the moment, plus they have the supercharger network which currently isn't open to other cars in Ireland

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Certainly given the recent price reductions I don’t think anything else in that bracket is feature equivalent or as efficient

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Likewise, imo there is nothing that atm comes close. Particularly in relation to software, UI, efficiency and ease of driving. Model 3 for when young and older, Model Y for the grabbers...😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Like a few have said earlier. Check first if EV is for you (charging options, range, etc.), then see if you can take a test drive.

You can book a test drive online with Tesla directly (Schedule a Test Drive) and they'll let you take it out on the road for a stretch up and down the motorway (if you ask, they might let you take it longer). If you're in the Dublin area, you could try to rent a tesla from UFO Drive (ufodrive.com), it'll give you the general idea but is likely an older model Model 3.

I had originally booked a VW id.3 and the test drive experience was OK, the car was decent and the budget was right. Unfortunately VW couldn't deliver the id.3 in early 2022 (after 6 month delay), I went driving the Model 3 and loved it within seconds - there was no looking back in my mind. I ended up going for that as soon as I figured out the financial gymnastics to make it work for my situation 🙂

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Remember the Chinese are coming there'll be a few more competitive options from there also in the coming years.

Used to be slang when I was younger, but just checked urban dictionary and now it means something completely different...😮

Thanks, just not anytime soon though I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

MG is here, BYD entering the market this year, NIO entering the UK market Irish should follow after that.

What is the real world mileage from the battery, and did you install a tesla home charger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Current weather around 10 degrees: Standard (RWD) Model 3 does 350km before the battery reaches zero. It stays at zero for another 50km apparently but I don't let it go to zero. That's normal driving and half on motorway. Driving carefully would easily add 50km. Driving like a granny would add more.

Install any home charger you want. Most chargers have better features than the Tesla one.

Stay Free

Thanks for the info.. didnt know that about the charger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

A Pulsar two might be in your price range. A Class car. A Renault Mègane E-Tech is also another class car.

A BYD Atto 3 .

They just launching in Ireland.

It's a really good car and even classy inside too with style. It's better than any of the VW ID cars too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Model 3 owner here.

We had a family event about 30kms the other side of Limerick last Friday. Charged at home on Thursday night and left Dublin pretty much full. Could have easily made the venue (car was saying 38%) but I stopped at SuC in Birdhill on the way down to let the dog out and my kids wanted to use the bathroom.

The fact that the SuC was there takes any pressure off a longer journey. No messing with Apps or even worse, waiting in a queue makes it a no brainer. Both chargers (applegreen) were in use when I was coming home (I stopped to take on 30%). In fact there was a guy messing with one of them for around 10 minutes before it obviously worked for him (in an Id3).

• Advertisement

Thanks alot for the input, much appreciated. Can I ask how much roughly does it cost to charge fully from home. I have free EV charging points in work so would come in handy. How long more they will be free I don't know!!!

Thanks for the ideas. I take you mean Polestar 2

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It’s a 60 kWh battery so 60x <your unit rate here>.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Those recommending the P2, what’s the cheapest, €51k. That’s a big jump from €45k.

Tesla, if you don't mind rubbish build, or a steering wheel coming away in your hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Nah, he said steering wheel, if he meant Toyata it would have been wheels falling off and 50% of claimed range available. Oh and combating the drive to electrication of transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Similar to what ghost said. 350-380km comfortably in current weather - I've never let it get too much below 10% battery, just out of habit.

For home charger, I have a Zappi. Pretty much any charger will do, and most will have more features than the Tesla one (except for the little button that opens the charging flap on the Tesla for you).

When doing longer road trips (Dublin-Limerick, Dublin-Belfast, Dublin-Cork) having the Supercharger network in addition to the normal esb/Easygo and now Applegreen charger is a huge positive. Takes the stress out of these routes

(there are other superchargers along the Galway route and in Kerry, but the southeast and northwest of the country are a bit sparse for that sort of thing)

If you're arranging a test drive with Tesla in Sandyford, Polestar are just around the corner and might be worth setting up a test drive there (they're a bit pricier since the last Tesla price cuts)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

This probably shows the biggest difference between Tesla and the legacy auto makers. Nissan acknowledged the issue, traced it to a particular batch of vehicles, identified the likely number affected and initiated a recall. Tesla hasnt acknowledged that there is an issue even after multiple vehicles have had steering wheels come off in brand new cars due to missing bolts, tried to charge the customer for a repair and the regulator has had to open an investigation as there has been no movement from Tesla.

Tesla has a lot of catching up to do in acknowledging and addressing safety issues promptly. This sort of minor recall is commonplace in the auto industry. It doesnt need to explode into a big news story.

I find that strange as Tesla have already narrowed down the VIN batch and the owners received new cars.

They’ve already stated that the effected cars had a part fitted after assembly which required the removal of the column and hence not being out back on properly.

Maybe im misreading your “multiple” examples where as the NTSB stated it has happened to just 2 “Two incidents have been recorded, and both were recorded at low vehicle mileage”

Classic case again of Tesla hatred by stories making up facts.

Tesla did not try charge the customer. Once your car is in service it auto generates a charge but is removed for collection under warranty I guess people that don’t understand this can mistake it as a charge. The car was replaced.

Minor issues will always explode when it’s Tesla as “Tesla” sells newspapers or grabs headlines I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

In fairness, I haven’t used my steering wheel much since I bought my Tesla 😂

Stay Free

• Advertisement

Nobody is making up facts or tesla bashing. Tesla fanboys are always very sensitive.

The fact is the NHTSA needed to open an investigation into Tesla whereas Nissan informed the NHTSA of the issue. The investigation is still open and no recalls have been issued yet.

I can change my post from multiple to at least two is you would like. Its still multiple.

I'm not sure about the part fitted after assembly bit of your post. The NHTSA investigation states "end of line repair requiring the removal and reinstallation of the steering wheel". The vehicles were then shipped to the customers from the factory without the steering wheel retaining bolt.

You can review the twitter thread of one of the customers which shows how he was being charged for the repair. They removed the charge once it was queried, but obviously need to work on customer service

CNN were reporting that NHTSA said that potential 120,000 vehicles were affected which is a bit preposterous and the NHTSA dont mention that in their report. I suppose we will wait and see how many end of line repairs there were.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

NHSTA open investigations all the time into reported safety issues. For some reason the media doesn't seem as interested in the case of Honda forward collision system inadvertently activating and causing rear end collisions.

It’s strange the way Tesla bashers (ignorant) assume other posters have teslas because they don’t agree with them.

I’m typing this from the seat of my bmw 530e waiting on the kids to get out of school 🤣🤣🤣 but hey, I’m a Tesla fanboy, I’m also an Apple fanboy and a bmw fanboy. You make it sound like there’s something wrong with that but it’s ok, you’ll grow up and learn.

I have also slated bmw for their ev shortcomings and the 530e phantom braking while in TACC, but hey, nobody cares as it’s not a tesla 😂

The linked twitter thread is the original incident from January. They are the people that got the car replaced. Good to see other posters on that thread explain to the new owners that putting a cost is standard practice and nothing to worry about. But I agree that should have been communicated to the owners. It would be common knowledge here in Ireland amongst tesla owners from being in the ev group.

Phantom braking seems to be a bit of an issue for multiple vehicle companies. Heres the Honda investigation and the Tesla one. With the current regulations these collision systems are being fitted to all new cars. By their very nature these systems need to be err on the side of caution for collision avoidance, the problems seem to be that they are being too cautious. I think Honda use mobileye so if there is an issue there then there is a massive issue as almost everyone uses mobileye. I do like their Asimov like rules for their autonomous driving.

1, Do not hit the car in front of you

2, Do not cut in recklessly

3, Right of way is given not taken

4, Be cautious in areas with limited visibility

5, If you can avoid a crash without causing another one you must.

Looks like there might be a conflict between 1 and 5 in Hondas case?

Car companies are also taking the opportunity to after market sell adaptive cruise control since they use the same forward facing radars (or cameras) that are already there for the anti collision.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I was more focused on the media reaction, I think Tesla shoot themselves in the foot by not having a PR department to manage the messages. Recalls and investigations are a feature of any modern vehicle, it's the system working as expected. For people outside of the motoring world the idea of safety investigations sounds quite scary instead of standard practice.

• Advertisement

I already knew you drove a BMW. You have posted about it before.

I was making a general observation about tesla fan boys. If you count yourself as one, then good for you. I hope you are not calling me an ignorant tesla basher. I'm merely quoting the facts. I followed up with links so you can research yourself. You already seemed informed, but I didnt find the report where tesla had identified affected VIN numbers and replaced cars. I assume you are not referring to the two that were reported and sent back to Tesla as those Vin numbers were read off the windscreen. If you could link that, I would appreciate it.

I also dont think its that odd that someone would post about tesla in a thread about Tesla. Sure if the OP had posted "To BMW or not" I'm sure there would be a host of posts on the shortcomings of BMW. I didnt bring up the Tesla steering wheels falling off or the Nissan one, I just added some clarification.

I neglected to mention that perhaps the difference between the Tesla and Nissan case is that Nissan detected the issue themselves prior to delivery to the customer whereas the Tesla issue resulted from customer complaint of steering wheel coming off while driving. This could explain the difference in response.

Indeed, I dont think anyone would ever buy a car if they knew the scope of the recalls and investigations that are ongoing. We must also remember that Tesla are still a relatively new company and are still learning and developing their strategy for responding to issues. You are correct that they shoot themselves in the foot by not having a PR department to head off these things. Twitter is not a replacement.

The cars being replaced is in the link YOU POSTED.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I was looking at the Tesla M3 but opted for the MG4 Excite LR instead as it was over €10,000 cheaper. I'm not bothered by badges and brands and I loved the MG4 after test-driving it. Very smooth, has nice acceleration, and it's a good solid car. The infotainment isn't as polished as the M3, but €10k in the pocket more than makes up for that. I actually prefer the look of the MG4 but to each their own.

Theres no need to shout!

It was this line you said that I was interested in

"I find that strange as Tesla have already narrowed down the VIN batch and the owners received new cars"

I didnt find anything on how the VIN batch fits in? Your statement is loosely worded and is open to interpretation. Perhaps you could clarify.

Best advice for the OP is to identify what is important to him. And most definitely test drive everything that is being considered. You dont want to be driving a car that you dislike driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Tesla make over a million Model Y per year. So two had the steering wheel fall off straight after delivery because someone decided to take them off and put them (incorrectly) back on? 😂

Talk about a storm in a tea cup. What is the point of even bringing this irrelevance up unless you have some sort of agenda?

Was first brought up here followed by a post about Nissan steering wheels. What is it with moderators today casting aspersions on other posters? I suppose I could have a massive short position on tesla stock and am trying to drive the share price down through boards. You've found out my nefarious agenda.

Sure it might only be the 2 that we know about. It happened in the tesla factory when the cars were being repaired at the end of the line. I suppose when you take the robots out and give it to people to do then your gonna have issues with people not doing it right. At least in Nissans case it was detected prior to delivery. I'm sure it was hilarious for the people concerned though. I'm not sure you would be using laughing emojis had it been you.

As has already been highlighted, lots of cars get recalled for lots of reasons. No manufacturer is perfect. When issues arise they need to be dealt with promptly and effectively.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Exactly, ad revenue is generated from clicks and Tesla are Click Bait gold in the car world, noone will look twice at a Ford recall of blah blah blah

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement