Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To Tesla or not..

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

He threatened to remove starlink if it was used for war use. Many musk haters are using that statement as a reason for him siding with russia which is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Jizique

Of course he is...... and all his cars offer full self driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GalaxyExplorer

It's a superior car with many features that support ease of driving and safety, just make sure you get the range to suit your needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Crimea has been part of Russia for centuries. For some strange administrative reasons they gave it back to Ukraine during the cold war, but that didn't matter much as they were both part of the same USSR. Then Russia took back Crimea nearly a decade ago. Nothing to do with the current war really and it would be totally unrealistic to expect them to give it back as part of any peace deal. It simply will not happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I thought Crimea was lost years ago, and aren't more than half the people there Russian as well. Seems a bit more complicated than your suggesting. We ceded Northern Ireland for our own country and it's worked out ok so far. I'd hardly call having an opinion on how to end a war as being a supporter of one side, especially when they already owned Crimea before the war so no territorial gain at all.

Either way he only owns 13% of Tesla and is also CEO of multiple other companies so don't really care about his personal beliefs. I'd prefer to support an EV only company than someone like Toyota (worst in the world for opposing climate action) or VW (diesel gate) that are choosing to sell 90% + fossil burners instead of BEVs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I could never buy a Tesla - the build quality is just so bad especially on the interior. Nasty design and cheap plastic I couldn’t live with one personally.

What is your experience with them? Maybe some early Model 3 made in America with bad paint and panel gaps? The build quality of Teslas made in recent years, particularly the ones made in Germany and China (that we are mostly getting) is generally perceived to be excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Advertisement

I'm not defending Russia dude, was glad an arrest warrant for war crimes was raised against Putin today by the ICC. Just being realistic about what way this war might end.

Your world view seems a bit simplistic if I'm honest.

A bit like asking the UK to give back the 6 counties?

That’s great. Best to buy what you like.

It’s not like BMW are flawless. They have massive water leaks from the window washer system which has blown many iDrive units. EGR valves that go on fire. Turbos that crap themselves due to blockages from the oil with their LL04 promises. So yeah, you’d never buy a Tesla but you would a BMW 🤣

What a muppet of a statement.

Get out from behind the keyboard and you’ll see how the world really works. Don’t rely on You Tube for your news.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Thread spirals as usual here, OP, start with test drives, also take into account no regular servicing required with a Tesla and the Model 3 efficiency is best out there so lower cost to fuel than any other EV

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Basilio

Imagine: you have inherited property from you ancestors. One day bully/gangster relative arrives with weapons and tells you he will live in your bedroom. Guards and courts are Deeply concerned but not ready to protect your rights as Bully has deadly weapons. As bully made a statement that bedroom once belonged to his relatives everybody has turned a blind eye on illegal activity.

After realizing community is afraid of a bully he decides to take over all of your property. Following an excuse "Crimea has been part of Russia for centuries" Musk one day will say Dutch colonized South Africa so Lets take it back "it has been part of Dutch for centuries".

Please educate yourself and stop following propaganda.

Timothy Snyder: The Making of Modern Ukraine https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh9mgdi4rNewfxO7LhBoz_1Mx1MaO6sw_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What in the name of Jesus has that got to do with buying a new car?

OP, take a Tesla for a test drive to see if you like it. Maybe you will, maybe you won't. There's a world of choice out there. Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

I had a MG4 Exclusive on order and started getting quite nervous about issues reported on owner groups, lack of resolution from MG and a general sense that they don't have the dealer network to support necessary recalls. Plus the boot space always made me nervous, less than 400 litres when my family situation would likely need more.

So I kept an eye on used Tesla Model 3s for the same money (€36k). Most are looking for €40k+ but private sellers would accept less, especially those looking to buy a new Tesla - Tesla themselves were offering daft money on trade-ins so a lot of existing owners were/are looking to offload the cars themselves.

I found a 2020 Model 3 for €40k that was reduced after a month to €36k with just 17,500km. Everyone recommends a 2021 Model 3 as they were made in Shanghai to higher standards, but the mileage was incredibly low and the only real disadvantage is 82km less claimed range.

I offered €35k and sold my own car for €16k, so I ended up with a barely-used Model 3 in my driveway for €19k. Love the car so far and very glad to have access to the Supercharger network right now, it's such an incredible car with unparalleled features for the price. Sure, the doors clang shut like an 1991 Toyota Corolla and the panel gaps ain't great - but it's solid af, no rattles, squeaks or imbalances. It's great to drive and so practical compared to the MG4 - I wish anyone with one well but it wasn't for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭McHardcore

Nah, you are wrong, they have a point. They are right to consider him sympathetic to Russia and a hypocrite.

Starlink said that "our intent was never to have them use it for offensive purposes". Which is laughable: It was the Ukraine that was invaded by Russia and was using it for defensive purposes.

When the Ukraine started using Starlink in the war, Starlink restricted its use in the country and announced that it was "never, never meant to be weaponised". Sounds plausible, right?

Again, wrong: it was always weaponised: They had previous contracts with the US military. It only became an issue when it was being used against Russia.

Elon said he has restricted Ukrainians access to Starlink as he believes "Zelensky could start World War III". Like it was Zelenskies fault for invading Russia?

He spoke with Putin before unveiling his Neville Chamberlain-esque "peace plan" for the Ukraine. Which basically gives Russia everything that they wanted. Funnily enough his plan was denounced by the Ukraine and praised by Russia.

U.S. National Security Council analysts have spoken publicly on how he is a spokesman for Putin.

He is a hypocrite because he spouts free speech while banning journalists who wrote articles that he didnt like about twitter.

I recognise that he is a great salesperson, and can bring great engineers to his companies like SpaceX and Tesla. But he should keep out of geopolitics and social causes. If you are intelligent at one subject does not mean that you are intelligent in another.

Thankfully I don’t follow him or care what he says.

Hitler was a Mercedes man. I think Mercedes has done well considering they used concentration camp prisoners to build machinery during WW2.

People will forget, rightly or wrongly and they won’t buy cars based on their CEO, otherwise you’d never buy a VW, Merc, Nissan or any other!

That's a lie. You do follow him and care what he says. Hell, you literally repeated what Elon said one page back:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

At the risk of speaking for Gumbo, here is my own experience. I don't follow Musk, but I am still aware through other channels what he threatened to do if Starlink was used offensively. Hell, I don't even have a twitter account. There is a difference between following and being aware.

Whatever he said, I think only a numpty would make their buying decision over what a dithering CEO gives an opinion on. It's a very far stretch to call it support of Russia. If there were any truth to that, then why supply SL for free to Ukraine in the first place? Maybe Putin made a "special" request.

Stay Free

I had to google that. Like many things. Thank you, but please take the words back that you placed in my mouth. I don’t need them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Guys, if you are googling Elon Musk statements to own Musk Haters, you clearly care about what he says.

• Advertisement

See that’s the difference here, I’m not trying to own anyone but that statement says a lot about your intent straight off the back.

If you’re throwing wild CEO statements into a Tesla thread they clearly care to let the world know they hate musk.

Works both ways.

I don’t hate or love him, same way I don’t hate or love VW CEO or BMW CEO etc

It’s just strange they way some posters insert their hatred of musk into every thread wether it’s about him or not. It’s a motors thread. Keep the politics and wild fantasies for the politics thread.

And if it’s any use to you, I defend that while sitting here in my BMW waiting on my nuggets 🤣🤣

Careful now. They regularly burst into flames without warning.

BMWs too.

Stay Free

3 times BMW had the last 20d sorting out EGR issues

This is a 30e but still has its problems unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Nice to see your not stinking up the M3 with your nuggets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

😂 even worse, that’s why Teslas have a frunk

You don't have to be subscribed to a celeb like Elon on Twitter to follow what they do. You can follow them in the news or on social networks. Or as @Gumbo has said, google them.

If you want to show us how you don't care about Elon, its easy: don't tell everyone how you search for him on the internet. Don't repost here what he says. Don't refer to folks as "musk haters" and there is no need to share memes you found of him either. Elon is a flute half the time and is better to be ignored.

He should keep to the tech companies and leave geopolitics to the people with experience. He suffers what many intelligent people suffer from: because he is intelligent in one area, he believes he is intelligent in other areas. During the cold war, the KGB referred to people like Musk as "useful idiots". These were people in The West who became unwitting allies to Russia through their own ignorance.

Are you really that desperate to try to make a point? By your logic, I must also be a follower of Taylor Swift because I heard on radio she was playing a gig somewhere in Ireland this year or maybe next year...I can't really remember and although I have probably heard some of her songs on the radio machine, I can't honestly say I know I was listening to her, or some other female artist I don't know.

Or....maybe I was just listening to the radio and NOT following Taylor Swift, but rather hearing an ad, or comment that she was playing a gig. Had I decided to check the internet for gig dates because maybe (thankfully not) one of my kids would have liked to go to the gig, that's still not following her dude.

To follow someone, one would have to frequently check on what the followed person is saying/doing. Checking something after a comment was made relating to a common subject doesn't count, as all one is doing is checking the validity of a comment.

Stay Free

You seem to know a lot more about these CEO’s than me so maybe it’s you that follow them 🧐

You should relax and have a cup of tea. Bring your mother out for a coffee for the day that’s in it. Don’t be worrying about my life. Life moves on

To use your convoluted analogy, if someone googles what Taylor Swift is up to to on the internet, reposts here what she says, calls folks "Tay-tay haters" who disagree with what they say, and posts up memes about Taylor, then yes, they follow Taylor Swift and care about what she says.

Now swap in Elon for Taylor: Thats what @Gumbo is doing by his own admission.

I follow what happens in the Ukraine. Unfortunately when Elon decided to chance his arm at solving the crises ive had to read about him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭creedp

Grand and I'm sure there are multiple threads on the current affairs forum dealing with this / these said issues

Should tell the original poster not make posts on these issues if they dont want responses on these issues. This conversation should be brought over to them forums.

Except you are getting it backwards. To use the correct orientation of the botched analogy you just posted, the tay-tay hater would be the first person to mention her in some story. Rather than accepting what the tay-tay hater says as fact, a reasonable person who is not a tay-tay follower might check the online resources for themselves for information and context to either validate the comment, or call it out as BS.

If you mentioned that Bono French kissed Putin and that it was reported on rte.ie I might check to see if it was serious, or satire or if it was something you were peddling. This wouldn't make me a Bono follower, would it?

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭creedp

• Advertisement

Do a poster posted a statement.

I googled that statement to read up on it as I’m not a musk fanboy like yourself.

Yet I’m the convoluted one 🤣🤣 If i posted that every cyclist accident in Dublin City was the fault of the Lycra wearing Stephen Roche wannabe, would you accept that or would you google/research the facts?

I agree. You are not convoluted. You are responding to the wrong post.

IDK, would it? I reckon if you gave one more musician analogy everyone will clap and say that you are right.

Or, you know, we could get back to the main conversation like creedp suggested and stop going around in circles making the same point.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭markpb

What a car crash of a thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

At least we won’t have to read a Cardi B story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

It is not just Teslas that cause 'car crash' threads. There was a BMW thread once that was also described as a 'car crash thread'. Don't even get me started with VW and Nissan.

The second half of this thread deserves a 0 star NCAP score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

You have mentioned this in the thread before. Pointing out that other car makers are not without sin which is true. But resorting to Godwins law or "Reductio ad Hitlerum", i.e. playing the nazi card is a bit childish.

People are free to make moral decisions on what they buy if they wish. Their objection about Musk and his antics seem to stem from his position "in the now". Your references to Hitler and past event which have been resolved or dealt with is not equivalent. Perhaps referring to MG, Polestar, Volvo, Geely and their relation with the Chinese communist party and allegations on use of forced labour would be more relevant to the argument.

Apologies, I’m not an anal musk fanboy so don’t follow his antics or indeed many car manufacturer CEO antics. If I did I fear I’d be clad in underwear and cycling a bike.

VW scandals are currently in courts, Mercedes the same and Nissan ceo was only captured in 2022 so all still very recent and relevant btw

But in saying that, thankfully my German cars CEO is not in the car beside me, nor was he there when I bought it so I didn’t consider him for one second, that’s if, indeed, the CEO is a him, could be a her or whatever nowadays 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, Best of luck on your EV venture which I assume that’s why your in this forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Abel Magwitch

This way this thread has deteriorated into convo about Hitler is a good example of why it is best to avoid the hardcore tesla guys at all costs. No amount of mental gymnastics is off limits to them. You see it regularly here. If thinking about buying a Tesla, or any car, I wouldn’t listen to a word someone with an agenda says. And steer clear of someone who is religious about their car brand, you should view them in your mind as a priest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement