Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2023 - Round 2: Saudi Arabia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

McLaren is absolute dirt. Even with DRS Norris can't take the Williams

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

That's a cracking pass by Magnussen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Nice to see Haas fighting for championship points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

What would Alonso have a five second penalty for ?

It's suggested the rear jack might have been touching his car while he was serving the 5s.

Russell's radio has been great today. "keep pushing like a madman".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Rear jack? I noticed at the time it looked like he had attached it during the initial 5 secs

As they are saying on commentary that Ocon last week was told he hadn’t served it correctly soon after it happened. I’ve not heard anything before the Mercedes radio call.

Chandhok has said there had been talk over the radios throughout the second half of the race.

EDIT: Max is fuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Longing

Ferrari are nowhere this year. Dropped of the pace so much from last season.

Alonso finished more than five seconds ahead of Russell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭oceanman

great drive by Russell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

That's depressingly convincing by Redbull. Doesn't bode well for the season.

The puss on Jos Verstappen...

It was a great drive. Ham will be No2 driver come summer. I think he will leave.

Will they let Perez and Verstappen fight for the championship ala Webber/Vettel I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Could see some of the Aston team congratulating Perez as well, still popular over there. Verstappen with a face like thunder when he got out of the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I'd say it was the team forgot to tell him to park the car on the start finish line.

Did Max even acknowledge Checo in his post-race interview?

I heard him talk about the team and getting fastest lap for himself but I didn't hear anything otherwise.

Checo's face when he was told he lost fastest lap as well wasn't someone who looked best pleased.

The Mexican anthem seemed to go on for ages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BikeRacer

Happy for Perez and Alonso, pretty disappointing race otherwise. No positional change in top 9 from around lap 25 till the end

Alonso under investigation now for not serving the penalty correctly. Ocon got a 10 second penalty last time for the same infringement

Alonso getting 10 second peno, gutted for him.

Russell going for the hat trick in out qualifying Ham in Australia. Ham unable to keep pace with his team mate today. Pressure is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Both Alpine drivers in the points. I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Awful race 2 stinkers out of 2 wonder if Aus can improve slightly but doubt it

There is nothing I wouldn't do, give, sacrifice or whatever to have checo pull a rosberg on max this season. Beat him last race and clinch the championship then retire but alas I seen today that redbull clearly already want max to win again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

10 second peno seems incredibly harsh for that - it’s not like any advantage was gained.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Idiot mechanic making that mistake, especially one week after the same mistake was made by another team, shame for Alonso. Delighted Max nicked fastest lap at the end, simply lovely drive from him. Happy for Checo, drove well in that last stint, the bulls 1 second a lap quicker - impressive but some of that might be track specific similar to Spa last year. Fair play to Russell for not moving over for Hamilton, it was the right decision in the end for him and the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭thefa

I say they will as such but last season proved that there’s a significant skill gap there so wouldn’t anticipate it lasting too long past the street circuits.

Well deserved for Perez holding onto the win today. Only for the safety car, Max wasn’t within touching distance on the day.

Shame for Alonso, two very avoidable penalties. At least it looks like he’ll be in contention for more podiums in the short term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The precedent was set last time with Ocon, you can't just set the time of the penalty based on things like popularity of the driver, championship position of the team involved.

Same infraction, same penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Who wouldn't have a face like that when they know their Dad's about to add to an illustrious record of domestic violence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

The 1st penalty was just stupid from a man of Alonso's experience. Should never have been in the 5s penalty situation in the first place.

Same. Especially after today. Judging by the sour faces on Max and Jos' faces, and then Checo after being told he lost the fastest lap, there's clearly no love lost between the pair of them.

The body language on Max in particular was very interesting.

I'm an Aston Martin fan and completely agree with you. Obviously gutted to lose a podium, but the penalties come down to Alonso and the team. They can only blame themselves

Curious how you came to that conclusion about the team favouring Max from today’s race? Both drivers were trading fastest lap, both drivers were told over the radio to not worry about the fastest lap (probably because the team were worried either car might go bang). Let’s be realistic, Max is a far better driver, so over the course of a season he’s much more likely to come out on top all things being equal - do the team care which driver wins the title so long as they get a 1 and 2? Anyway, as someone else hinted at above, too early to be predicting the championship. But Perez did well to pull out a big enough gap after the safety car to keep Max at bay, fair play to him. 🙂

How poor were Ferrari today? Fourth best car behind the Mercs, who themselves don’t seem too bad in race trim.

• Advertisement

As a McLaren fan, it was heartbreaking to watch Lando Norris not able to pass a rookie with DRS and the same tyres. And all of this way out of the points.

Sorry, but how did I miss that AM's Team Principal is Mike Krack.

Just seen a very interesting pen interview by F1TV, George seems surprised about the penalty, Hamilton looked VERY fed up, the promotion of George to 3rd seemed to actually pee him off more.

It was harsh I think because it was applied post-race when they had about 30 laps that the additional penalty could have been applied in which could have allowed Aston the chance to do something about it.

Ocons was applied during the race wasn’t it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Surely at this point there should be a steward on the pits to monitor penalties being taken? Or a steward controlled light beacon or something, rather than them sitting on it for more than half the race and only spotting it/taking action after the chequered flag?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Does anyone think that it was Merc that pushed and pushed for an Alonso penalty? They seemed to know early enough.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

On the live feed it was obvious the jack had touched the car. I don't know why it took them so long to give the penalty. You could argue that Hamilton, Russell and Alonso could have all driven differently if it was applied earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭oceanman

McLaren and Williams had their golden years back in the 80s-90s they are both just mid field runners now. hard to ever crawl back from there.

He’s been team principal for over a year now. 😁

Yep, Ocon’s was applied during the race so very unfortunate for Aston Martin. To be fair to Alonso he doesn’t seem too disappointed at all, a few less points he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

It was obvious to me when the pitstop was made that the rear jack has touched the car.

I think the only way to fix this from happening going forward is to either forget about doing the penalties during pitstops and just add time on at the end or the FIA should have a penalty box on pit entry or exit where the car has to stop and serve the penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Has there ever been a more unlikeable driver in F1 history than Max Verstappen. I'm genuine here.

I didn't like Schumacher for a while because the winning got boring, and I felt he properly cheated Damon Hill when I was younger.

People didn't like Hamilton as he was a bit of an upstart, then ultimately his winning became a bit relentless - plus he's British, and their media hurts the brain when one of their own is in the GOAT conversation.

But I've never quite seen a character like Max. He's arrogant, smug, dismissive of his teammates, plain rude about his car and mechanics when it's the slightest bit imperfect, and looks fairly joyless at the best of times.

He's just impossible to get behind at all.

Honestly, most drivers, certainly the ones capable of winning races, have those traits. Hamilton does too, over the last couple of years he’s been happy to throw his team under the bus if he’s not happy.

Max is an unbelievable driver, clearly the best on the grid right now, I’m a fan of his driving. He’s not personable at all though, and he has that stereotypical Dutch attitude which can come across as rude and arrogant, but it doesn’t bother me that much. I think the worst thing about him is his dad, who is a complete and utter POS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Jos is an issue, I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Oh max is well ahead of checo that's for sure but why tell checo to do 32.6 +4 or what ever it was and max was doing 32.6 seems odd to me. Plus he is the number 2 driver and red bull are pretty much always about favouring one driver over the other when they don't it tends not to go to well for them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement