Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You can stab someone in the face in Dublin now, and not go to prison.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

They've not stopped but definitely slowed down, many of the big tech companies have stopped hiring here.

I think they're looking for somewhere to go, but that somewhere doesn't exist just yet.

Some of them have invested huge amounts of money in Ireland wont just up sticks. If they were to ever leave it would be very slow and gradual.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

exactly keep your head down and mind your own bisness if you go looking for trouble youll find it quick enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Ah lads the country is destroyed.

people have no respect for each other or anything anymore.

Vigilante Justice can’t be far away because anybody I talk to is sick of the same people causing the same problems time & again.

Its far far to handy for criminals in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Am I the only person in Ireland who has gotten little grief in the last 20 or so years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

• Advertisement

• Don’t get involved in disputes that are none of your business is my go to trick to avoiding these sorts of problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Many moons ago this happened to me , Guy beating the living crap out of this woman on leeson street..i ran over across the road,this lunatic in a car was speeding and hit me..broke my leg..hobbled over to the scumbag and his girlfriend told me to **** off...last time i will ever get involved.

• Just another example of white knighting going way wrong. Not to sound like I’m having a go at you by the way it’s just perfectly illustrating the point that you should always no matter what mind your own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭CPTM

I'm starting to become more understanding of some of these lenient sentences. More than I used to anyways. There was an explainer on The Irish Times website recently that went through why some sentences are very lenient. Sometimes the ar$$hole in question is the primary and sole carer of their mother. Sometimes they're the only breadwinner of a small family. There's a primal instinct in all of us, myself included, that wants a person to suffer if they've made other people suffer. But a judge has to rise above that a bit to see who will suffer most.

This scrote had no previous convictions, and has maybe built up a good reputation since the incident 2 years ago. Maybe he's on a good track at the moment, headed in a good direction. Maybe Martin N thinks that society would be worse off if he were sent into the prison system with the real worst of the worst for the next few years. The idea that people go through the prison system and come out a cleaner looking person is not really a winning idea anymore.

I'll be slated I'm sure. I used to be the same as those who just want to throw every scrote in prison - "Sure what if this was your son or daughter that was stabbed?".. I get all the emotion around it. I get the initial thing of hating that he got off scot free. But I also know that Martin N is well respected amongst his peers, and very few of his sentences are appealed by prosecuting parties. Most people don't realise that Martin N was a Garda himself for 10 years so he does have an idea of what the gardaí are going through. The fact we get emotional headlines and only 10% of the facts of the case via the media doesn't help at all either. But I do think, when you don't have all the information, a good accompanying approach when assessing someone's ability is to hear from their peers and people who go up against them on a day to day basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,717 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

How is it that you can disfigure someone's face with a knife and get off scott free

You can’t, and that’s still the case, no matter what details you choose to leave out of the narrative in order to make your claim seem any more plausible than it already isn’t. The scumbag in this case who was arguing with his girlfriend when the victim intervened, and then he proceeded to follow the victim off the bus, produced a knife and stabbed him in the leg and the cheek, didn’t get off scot-free. He received a two-year sentence, suspended on certain conditions. The Judge also took into consideration his age at the time of the offence.

It also isn’t clear in the article that he stabbed the victim in the face, rather it says he stabbed the victim in the leg and the cheek, which could refer to his arse cheek, given he had stabbed the victim in the leg. You basically appear to want to make a lot more out of this than it is in reality, going so far as to make out that anyone actually CAN stab someone in the face now in Dublin, and not go to prison, as if they are free to do so.

That’s just daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I started a thread here before to list his shocking judgements and sentences and a mod closed it down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I have to laugh at the suggestions to call the Gardaí in this case. You're going to be lucky if they show up, never mind do anything about it. He's obviously a decent but naive sort of chap who tried to do the right thing. He's learned the hard way that certain people don't want or deserve your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

A foolish post, the fact the matter is before the courts shows the Gardai responded to a call....

If he had called them instead of getting involved he wouldn't have been stabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tinsofpeas

There's something deeply, deeply wrong within this country.

Nothing seems to be working right.

Some violent knacker follows someone, stabs them and gets a suspended sentence. Ie nothing of consequence.

And if there were, the prisons are bursting anyway.

Lesson learned? No need to guess. Maybe some other lucky person will be murdered by them next year over something worthwhile, like a twix.

The amount of stories and events involving everything from murders to perverts seems to keep growing, while conversely the consequences of such seem to keep weakening. Media bias and all that taken into account.

It genuinely feels as though the collective hands of Ireland have all just clapped and given up. A laissez faire notional nation of demoralised eejits just taking a kicking while lying down.

It reminds me of a personal story, writ short, that if you are faced with any situation that has potential to escalate up to costing your life, as mild as it may seem at first, you have every sensible reason to treat the person with maximum prejudice. In other words be nice when you can be, and be lethal when you need to be. Apologise later.

There are very few people who give a damn if a knife is put in your neck, from guards and judges to politicians and strangers. Lovely place it's becoming.

No it doesn’t? It shows that someone made a complaint, most likely the victim, after they had been assaulted. I got Deebles point - wasn’t an unreasonable one, that you really are lucky if the Gardaí show up in those circumstances. Incidents like that are usually all over by the time Gardaí arrive anyway, they don’t drive Batmobiles 😁

In this particular instance the victim appeared to be leaving the scene of the initial altercation when they were pursued by the attacker. There’s simply no way of telling what would or wouldn’t have happened had he not gotten involved and we could be reading about a different set of circumstances entirely.

The Gardai were called to the scene by the victim's girlfriend after they left the bus because of the altercation they had while on the bus, the stabbing then occurred and the lad was arrested down the road.

Actually I'll pull you up on the term "white knighting".

This person gave a crap.

I disagree with getting involved and stay well out of it. Don't be derogatory.

It absolutley does send the message that someone can stab another person and not see any prison time or material form of punishment.

Because thats exactly what happened.

No, it doesn’t still do that, because that’s not exactly what happened. No need to go making stuff up that hasn’t happened either like suggesting it’s almost inevitable that he will reoffend, or that he would receive another suspended sentence, when the whole point of a suspended sentence is that he would serve the two years on top of any any custodial sentence he would receive if he were convicted in similar circumstances again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

The state owns that huge site at Thornton Hall, which was bought to build a prison on the land. The state owns Mountjoy in the middle of prime real estate in Dublin.

How difficult could it be to get a builder to constrict a super prison at Thornton Hall in exchange for the land at Mountjoy. And then build loads of homes in Dublin 7.

Simple.

• Advertisement

We don’t both know it, simply because he hasn’t reoffended. Similarly it would be ridiculous to suggest that on the basis of the circumstances in this case, anyone can actually commit assault and expect to get away scot-free. In order to believe that, a person would need to be as stupid as the scumbag in this case. His stupidity is forgivable given he was only 16 at the time, what excuse could there be for an adult who imagined they could commit assault and there would be no consequences for their behaviour? “I read it on Boards, I know my rights” isn’t likely to cut any ice 😂

The suspended sentence definitely won't be getting triggered, things take that long to go from arrest to hearing in the courts that suspended sentences are rarely still live.

It took this over 18 months to reach a conclusion and this was a serious matter. Should anything else come before the courts for him his solicitor will drag it out. The public really aren't wise to the games that get played in the courts system. Half the scrotes ya see walking around have a suspended sentence hanging over them..it means nothing.

The public really aren't wise to the games that get played in the courts system.

Ahh they are really, it’s just that some members of the public would have other members of the public who are already primed and susceptible to believing in pure nonsense believe that you can stab someone and there being no consequences for your actions. It’s not something I’d recommend anyone believes as true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

They responded to a guy getting stabbed, not a couple arguing on a bus. If he had called them instead of intervening, assuming they answered the phone, he would have been fobbed off and no one ever hears about it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

But there was no real consequence for the attacker here. The victim got stabbed and the fella who did it is walking around happy our on the knowledge that he is immune to punishment. Suspended sentences are a joke.

Yes it’s plenty enough to know what you’re doing, and it’s plenty enough to know that you won’t get away with it either, and in this case he hasn’t. That he wasn’t punished according to your satisfaction is a different matter entirely.

I didn’t say you said he would reoffend either, the point is we can’t know anything, because he hasn’t, and the only way we could know is if we could see into the future, which we can’t. Your opinion that he almost certainly will reoffend and that you’ll almost certainly be right, means about as much as your original claim that anyone can now stab someone in the face In Dublin and not go to prison. It’s not the sort of behaviour I’d be encouraging, nor would I wish to give anyone the impression there’s any truth to your claim.

They didn't, try reading the news reports.

'When the victim tried to intervene in the row, neither Squires nor his girlfriend “took kindly” to his involvement and the girl threatened and then slapped the victim's girlfriend.

An altercation broke out and the victim and his girlfriend got off the bus and contacted gardaí. Squires followed them and produced a knife, before stabbing the victim in the cheek and leg, the court heard.

Gardaí near to the scene arrested Squires a short time later as he tried to board another bus.'

There were real consequences, and the fact is that the consequences aren’t satisfactory for some people who imagine the punishment should have been more severe based upon entirely hypothetical scenarios that they’ve made up in their own heads which bear little resemblance to reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cafflingwunts

Jesus wept. That's a desperate outlook to have, you're like Boggles #2 for Christ's sake.

How in the name of good God can you honestly say he DIDN'T get away with it? He produced a deadly weapon which could easily have made this attack fatal and he DID get away with attempted murder and you're saying nahhhhhh he got punished.

Punishment in this scenario is one of two things: Double digit jail sentence or a watery grave. You choose which is more appropriate but it's one or the other. No in between about it, whatsoever, at all.

• Advertisement

Jesus wept. That's a desperate outlook to have, you're like Boggles #2 for Christ's sake.

Heyyy, there’s no call for that now 😳😂

How in the name of good God can you honestly say he DIDN'T get away with it? He produced a deadly weapon which could easily have made this attack fatal and he DID get away with attempted murder and you're saying nahhhhhh he got punished.

Punishment in this scenario is one of two things: Double digit jail sentence or a watery grave. You choose which is more appropriate but it's one or the other. No in between about it, whatsoever, at all.

You’re ramping up the hyperbole now by claiming he got away with attempted murder when he was never charged with attempted murder in the first place, which would put this case in far more serious territory than merely being charged with assault and being in possession of a knife. He got punished in accordance with being convicted of the offences he was charged with.

Punishment in this scenario as it turns out isn’t simply limited to one of two things, and there’s no need for double digit jail sentences which would achieve nothing whatsoever and wouldn’t serve the interests of the administration of justice. I’d agree with you in circumstances which might warrant a double digit sentence, such as a conviction for attempted murder, but the circumstances in this particular case don’t amount to that, and an attempt to secure a conviction for attempted murder would likely fail, before there was even a chance of appealing the severity of the sentence -

https://www.decisis.ie/alarming-features-of-an-attempted-murder-sees-appeal-against-severity-of-sentence-dismissed/

Advertisement