Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You can stab someone in the face in Dublin now, and not go to prison.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cafflingwunts

cool story bro.

knifing someone in the face is a temp murder charge. get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,717 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Fortunately for, well, everyone really, you don’t get to decide what does or doesn’t constitute a charge of attempted murder. You’re also ignoring the fact that as I pointed out, it would likely fail if it were applied to this particular case, and then he WOULD have waked free from Court having been found not guilty of attempted murder.

One of us certainly needs to get over ourselves, not me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cafflingwunts

Sorry, excuse me. Knifing someone in the face in a real country, with real laws and repercussions is a temp murder charge but we're in Ireland so I guess your backwards and broken logic somehow is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭danfrancisco83

These days...

• Advertisement

No need to excuse you, just pointing out that it’s really you need to get over yourself because here we are in a real country with real laws and repercussions for a charge of attempted murder… and what you’re claiming just didn’t happen.

Using your form of logic, on the basis that my classmate put a thumbtack under my arse as I went to sit down, they would be charged with attempted murder. Even if it were to get that far, they would likely be found not guilty by the Courts who would admonish the prosecution for wasting the Courts time.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tinsofpeas

Unless the punk is actually zorro on holidays, he lashed out with a knife into someone's face with zero regard as to what would happen beyond "lash out to inflict damage".

It could have sliced the man's nose off, it could have went through his eye into his brain, he may have driven it through his ear.

Someone with such disregard for consequences, yet the brass neck and dangerously violent temperament to go right ahead anyway, deserves more than zero consequence.

It's hardly a thumbtack on a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,829 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have intervened a few times when i've seen people being attacked and I would always hope that if one of my grandkids were being attacked that someone would come to their aid. This lad was unlucky but his heart was in the right place. He seems to have acted like a good human being and the Judge should have dealt with the matter more seriously because a knife was used. I thought there was a law about carrying knives?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

If this scumbag, while serving his suspended sentence, produced the same knife and stuck it into your face you wouldn't want him sent to jail?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Advertisement

But this is the thing - any of the articles I can find about it (likely because they’re all from the same original source) only refer to the victim being stabbed in the leg and the cheek. You can see why there might be some confusion over whether it was his face or his arse is being referred to, and if it was his face then absolutely, there is a considerable difference between being stabbed in the face and being stabbed in the arse.

Similarly, there is a considerable difference between assault, and attempted murder, hence why I pointed out the stark degree of difference by using having been stabbed in the arse with a thumbtack - it doesn’t amount to attempted murder, and the idea of an attempted murder charge doesn’t appear to have been floated in this case at all, for good reason, particularly the lack of evidence.

No, I’d want him dead. But that’s just me.

Only been stabbed in the leg and cheek?

Have you ever been stabbed or had a knife pulled on you?

I’ve had a knife pulled on me on occasion, a hammer once, and were it not for the fact that he’d been weakened by a crippling drug addiction, he’d probably have succeeded in his attempt. Amateur 😒

Yeah the cheek of his arse is a lot closer to his leg than his face if the attacker is pursuing him from behind, as appeared to be the case here where the victim was caught unawares. That’s an even dirtier scumbag move, still doesn’t rise to the level of attempted murder though, and didn’t in this instance, or he would have been charged with attempted murder. Obviously if there isn’t sufficient evidence to support a charge of attempted murder, the DPP isn’t likely to pursue it.

It’s trite to say he wouldn’t have been stabbed, as though being stabbed is a reasonable expectation or outcome of intervening between a couple of teenagers arguing in public!

Scumbags or not, being stabbed couldn’t reasonably have been foreseen in those circumstances, unless the victim was aware the scumbag had a knife, and then it’s more likely the scumbag will be stabbed with their own knife, by another scumbag.

You asked a question, I gave you an honest answer. What were you expecting, that I’d feel the same way you do in those circumstances? Somehow I’m full of it, because you want to believe something that isn’t true. Whatever works for you I guess 👍

• No. It’s a fact to say he wouldn’t have been stabbed. He intervened in a fight that was none his business and was stabbed.

I am not going to say it was his entirely his fault obviously stabbing someone is not a normal thing to do but how anyone thought someone hitting their missus was going to be less violent towards them in response to a challenge is beyond all reason.

The chap wouldn’t have been stabbed if he kept to himself. That’s not me victim blaming or being trite it is simply the facts. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

No one’s going to think anything more of you for doing it and you’re just going to end up hurt. This guy is an unfortunate example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

I don't think this post got enough attention. Someone apparently seriously thought it was possible the word 'cheek' was used in the article (and in court) to refer to someone's arse. How can someone pull an opinion straight out of their cheek like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

What if its a man vs a smaller man? Or two women? What if the persons life is clearly in danger?

Txt the cops and keep on going with your life?

But hey, "you do you".

Obviously anyone who is familiar with the idea -

Those episodes distil the essence of what Greater Manchester Police is currently facing across the region - a worrying level of shootings and a growing tendency of criminals and organised crime groups to resort to the machete and the knife - mirroring tactics used by hardcore 'Ultra' Italian football fans, who stab rivals in the legs and buttocks.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/if-think-policing-alone-solve-20586626?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

What I meant by ‘trite’ is that yes, of course it’s a fact that had he not intervened he wouldn’t have been stabbed, but that’s a rather obvious statement after the fact, that doesn’t change the facts. He’s obviously responsible for his intervening, he’s not responsible for his being stabbed. The person who stabbed him is responsible for that. All obvious points, which is why I said it was trite to be pointing that out after the fact.

It’s not as though anyone is going to say “y’know, you’re right, had he thought of that beforehand…”, etc. It’s also a fact to say that he didn’t, as most people wouldn’t, unless there was evidence to suggest he had a knife. The only person playing stupid games there really was the idiot scumbag carrying a knife. That’s the only stupid game was played, and that’s why he ended up in Court, convicted of two offences he was charged with, one being that he was carrying a knife, the other for assault.

I’d be pretty much indifferent to anyone intervening in whatever situation they saw going on in public, depends entirely on the outcome though whether anyone’s going to think any more or any less of them, and we know examples like this doesn’t put other people off intervening when they see another person in trouble, be they man, woman or child. Fair enough if someone doesn’t want to intervene and is of the “none of my business” mentality, but it doesn’t mean anyone who does intervene is a white knight or a have-a-go hero or any of the rest of it.

Sure, undoubtedly they do exist, but I’m not going to assume everyone who intervenes is hoping for a pat on the head for doing so. Sometimes they just don’t like to see other people being hurt is all and figure the person can either be reasoned with (my preferred option), or put manners on (in defence of another person). Will it put him off intervening in future? Probably not, he’ll just have a more keenly tuned sense of risk assessment is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

"who stab rivals in the legs and buttocks"

See that word buttocks? That is how you arse cheek would be referred to. Your cheek is that bit on the side of your face, it would not happen that a court would refer to the victims wounds as leg and arse cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

He got stabbed in the face stop trying to make stupid excuses foe stupid judicial decisions

The justice system is designed to provide constant revenue for the legal profession. Keep the courts busy, make sure there is a need for lots of judges and solicitors.

The best way to do that is put criminals back on the street as quickly as possible so they can rack up another offense.

62% of people released from custody re-offend within 3 years. 83% of under-21s released from custody re-offend within 3 years.

• You know who’s life was in danger there on account of being stabbed actually?

the guy who intervened.

Of course I see it, it’s why I was making the point, because in the article, any of the articles I’ve read regarding this case, it says he was stabbed in the cheek and the leg by the attacker who pursued him. It’s not unreasonable to assume he was stabbed from behind in the arse and in the leg, as opposed to the idea that he was stabbed in the leg, turned round, and then was stabbed in the face. However it was referred to in Court is obviously not going to be the same as it was reported in the media, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to suggest they could have clarified that he was stabbed in the leg and the face, if it’s the cheek of his face they mean. Generally most reports in the media will make it explicitly clear when a victim was stabbed in the face, because it’s far more serious than being stabbed in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

When it happened it was reported as being the cheek as well. Why would two separate outlets not clarify the buttocks in two different reports?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

NOBODY CALLS A PERSONS BUTTOCKS THEIR CHEEK WHEN YOU ARE REPORTING ON A STABBING

Advertisement