Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friday v Saturday wedding,pros and cons

Options
  • 13-03-2023 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭

I'm getting married in September, we booked everything late so kind of accepted we wouldn't get a sat in our preferred place.As it happens the sat of the weekend is available, it's slightly more expensive but that's not a big factor.

What are the pros and cons of a fri v a sat?

I've very new to this wedding craic so quite clueless on it!

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

TBH if a lot of your guests are working mon-fri then a Saturday wedding will be much more beneficial for them because they most likely won't need to take a day or two off work for it. I had my wedding on a Saturday for that reason and also a lot of my friends were also my colleagues, so if I'd gotten married on a Friday most of them wouldn't have been able to come because they wouldn't have been able to just shut down the office so half the staff could go to the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

Yes this is the worry but when we went through the list it's nearly as hard for people to come on a sat (marginally better than a fri)

So I guess that's the answer,to have it on the sat.Are there any other pros and cons I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

We got married on a Friday, as mentioned a con is that you are asking people to take a day off work.

However, for us that was also a pro, it thinned our numbers a little (in a good way), we lost some marginal people which helped control the budget. That sounds fierce harsh when I write it down. Oh well.

The other advantage is that you aren't monopolising thw entire weekend on people, they still have their Sunday having recovered etc etc to do normal stuff.

Finally, for people with kids not at the wedding, babysitting on Friday was already sorted up to 5 or 6pm through their usual childcare arrangements, a Saturday wedding would have meant having to arrange babysitters all day.

Ultimately, Saturday is more popular tho, hence more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭swededmonkey

If you are planning on having a get together on the second day, Friday would be the better option so people will still have Sunday to travel/recover

Advertisement