Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swirl card

Options
  • 14-03-2023 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

Swirl are saying, on their app, that regulation changes mean that every user has to submit photo id.

There's no mention of it on their website & I can't find any reference to regulatory changes online.

Does anyone know if this is happening or is it just a ploy to get people to increase their card limit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭maik3n

Well, this sucks. I got the email from them flagging this issue.

I was afraid this might happen at some stage.

I imagine it has to do with the KYC regulation. (Blurb below taken from Revolut website)

The expiry date is 30/06/2023 so we better get spending, lol.

==-=-=-=-==-=-=--=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=

Identity verification (KYC)

Revolut must follow a regulatory requirement commonly known as 'Know Your Customer’ (KYC), under which we're expected to verify the identity of our customers. Because of this, account restrictions will be in place while the verification process is in progress (mainly limiting the ability to transfer money or use a card).

To carry out a quick identity check, you must be at least 18 years old, and we'll need your name, address, a selfie, and a photo of your ID. We accept any of the following:

National ID

Passport

Full driving license (only in UK, CH, US, AU)

If you're not a citizen of the country of your personal address, we'll need to ask for proof of your right to reside in such country (visa along with national passport or a residence permit)

==-=-=-=-==-=-=--=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I thought this only applied to accounts with the higher limit.

Originally it was just the higher end accounts but I would think various financial regulatory bodies are probably leaning on them now, to get in line and not be allowing any unsavoury activities, to occur on their network.

I'll have to go looking for another alternative now.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

Speaking of another alternative...

can anyone recommend one?

I don't think there is one. So it may be that, unless you have photo id, you can't buy online.

Swirl have confirmed that non verified accounts will be closed.

• Advertisement

This might be an alternative perhaps? They have a lower tier, non-verified account.

Mind you, we might want to read up on it a bit more.

There doesn't seem to be any offline top up options like swirl and payzone.

Gentle reminder that Swirl will start looking for ID from the end of July.

So we better get spending, lol.

They have given no indication of what will happen or what the restrictions will be

The restrictions after the fact are not really the issue, the problem is the request for ID in the first place.

I think I read somewhere in their communications, that they will be closing any accounts that don't go through the ID process.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You can expect that they will apply the same MLA procedures are any other financial institution. The account will be frozen and the matter will be reported to the authorities. At that point Swirl with drop out of the equation and are not even allowed to communicate with you about the account. And you'll have to wait for the authorities to authorise Swirl to return your funds to you.

• Advertisement

The message says that "card functionality may be restricted"

No suggestion of anything drastic. Surely they must give a more specific notification?

There's no mention of any of this on the website, only on the app.

Post edited by Discodog on

Would you expect the Garda to give a suspected criminal warning that they are coming around to arrest him or conduct a search? Because that is what we are actually talking about - investigating the actions of someone who may have committed a crime. I have helped people who have found themselves in that situation and I can say, it is not somewhere you want to be. Best to sort it out one way or the other.

I'm confused as to why the Gardai/authorities would be getting involved here for general users.

From the information above, it seems as though they will still grant access to non-verified users but only in so far as letting you use up whatever funds/balance you have in your account.

They will probably give you a final ultimatum then and say get verified now or we're closing your account.

Similarly perhaps they will give us a grace period of sorts and if we still don't get verified, they will close our accounts and donate the funds to charity or something.

At the end of the day it's you money, you spend it before the deadline, comply with the request or take a chance that it will work out. Personally I would not take a chance, because I know from experience it can be a big pain to get it sorted out later if it goes wrong.

I appreciate all that.

That's why I flagged the deadline earlier for people to make a decision on their funds.

However, with all that said, I gave Swirl a shout directly earlier today. Funnily enough, the July 31st deadline has actually now been scrapped. They may introduce a new one later in the year though.

In terms of unverified accounts, they will remain open even after you have used up your remaining balance. They will only close them at the account holders request.

I am not surprised. If you have photo ID, bank accounts etc there are far better alternatives to Swirl. There are over 13000 unbanked in Ireland - some say far more. They cannot buy online without cards like Swirl.

There is no reason why anybody in Ireland can't obtain basic banking services other than their refusal to comply with the MLA requirements, we have laws requiring banks to provide basic banking services to all residents right across the EU. And the objective is to lock down the system as tight as possible against money laundering.

I know its a distraction for most people, but I have worked on the other side and while most people are ODC, MLA is a very big problem. It is not at all usually to find when you investigate a flagged account that Joe or Mary have agreed to put money through their account because they are allowed to keep a slice for themselves. In some cases it is so obvious it's hard to imagine the stupidity of it - 8K comes in, 800 goes to the savings account and the 7.2k goes back out!

It's not about refusal. Many people especially older rural people, don't have a passport or driver's license.

My local postmaster has told me that they know many cases where people can't get photo id.

This was recognised with the Garda ML10 form but this is no longer in use.

This can also make it really difficult to obtain PPS numbers & PS Cards.

Not that we want to get too bogged down in this wider discussion, but I'm just refusing to verify on principal.

I have all manner of ID so there is no issue there.

The whole point of using swirl is the anonymity. (I know, I know, you are NEVER truly anonymous)

If I wanted to use my ''normal'' verified credit/debit cards I would.

I use it for online purchases & only keep enough on the card to pay for the item. I was scammed & delighted that they only got away with a few euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭iriship

I got card 6 weeks ago, told them i was going to Tanzania for a month.

card stopped working last week of Holladay NO CONTACT from them. I had given them ID got email saying it was all good. But card stopped working NO CONACT to say why?

online help a auto system not help. When I get my money Back I will put card in BIN

It seems as though they scrapped the KYC thing for existing users.

However, if you were to go purchase a new euro mastercard now, unfortunately, you have to go though the verification process before you can use it. 😥

I wonder what happens when your card expires or has to be replaced ?

We are scr*wed, all around I'm afraid.

I queried said issue with their livechat. All new cards, including replacements for expired or lost cards must now successfully complete the eKYC process before you can use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Famous Blue Raincoat

If you were to transfer money from your bank current account to your Swirl prepaid Mastercard, what would the transaction appear as in a statement from that current account? Is it simply a mastercard payment like the other Mastercard, or does Swirl appear?

In other words, it is cheaper to transfer money electronically but if somebody doesn't want somebody else seeing a transaction to this new prepaid card (which they want to use for privacy), is there any alternative to withdrawing the cash and putting it into the Swirl car via Payzone etc and their fees?

Email from Swirl. Have to verify with photo id before July 5th to avoid any disruption. It doesn't say what form this will take.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Has anyone else found it hard to unsubscribe from this shower? The emails just keep on coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

Been unable to contact them for a while now!

The transaction/transfer just shows up under whatever payee/recipient name you used when you added the SWIRL IBAN.

There is no mention of swirl or Mastercard.

So you would have

01/06/2024 ¦ Super Valu ¦ - 25.90
    05/06/2024 ¦ ExonnWages ¦ + 590.25
    07/06/2024 ¦ Maik3n Sullivan ¦ - 90.50 (< - this would be the swirl transfer)

FYI, it's a German IBAN that swirl use.

I think it's just a gentle reminder to undertake the verification process.

I called them on the support number and they confirmed that our accounts will still remain open after the deadline, with the existing un-verified limits of €2,500 per year in place.

I imagine the time will come though that the EU KYC directive will come down hard on them.

• Advertisement

Did you speak to them recently? I got a stock answer today saying that the service would be restricted but no detail.

Advertisement