Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours Roof

Options
  • 14-03-2023 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I want to cover over my existing double pitch roof with a flat roof.

However, my neighbours roof drains onto my roof, and he would need to change his own roof structure to divert rain another way.

What are my rights? Do I have to keep my roof the way it is to allow his rainwater drain via my roof?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 johndep12

No, you do not have to keep your roof the way it is to allow his rainwater to drain via your roof. You have the right to modify your roof, as long as it is done in accordance with local building regulations and does not cause any harm to your neighbour's property. It is important that you consult a professional roofer like [snip] to ensure that the work is carried out correctly.

Post edited by DOCARCH on

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lebigmacncheese

Thanks for the reply...

If I remove the drain (which is an open gully running internally through my attic)... It means he will need to install one himself.

So I can't do my roof unless he does his...if he doesn't agree and I change my roof, his roof will flood.

So in this case am I stuck with my roof until he agrees to deal with his own rain water?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

We are going through this very challenge with our neighbours roof using ours as an open gully after a bad pitched roof was erected on both ours and neighbours roof at the same time. Lack of knowledge on our part at the time never questioned it. Now We are looking to remove it and go back to flat roof due to never ending leaks. We are too faced with the added challenge that the neighbours overhangs beyond the boundary onto ours so removal of our pitched structure is impossible now until the neighbours is removed. We are in the process of getting in place a legal works order (court soon) and hopefully instructing a proper builder to begin removal. However, who remains liable for correcting and paying for the neighbours overhang is another challenge we may need additional professional advice. Neighbour is not interested in complying or accepting any responsibility but has instructed not to touch their roof (that overhangs over 1 foot onto our boundary).

interested to hear the outcome of your situation OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭horse7

Do you have some pictures of your roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lebigmacncheese

This is a plan view, my house is on the right. You can see that the rain coming off my neighbors chimney flows into my drain. My roof is leaking in lots of places, and having water drain down and out through the house is not ideal and requires constant maintenance of the roof area to ensure moss doesn't block the drain, so I want to cover the whole thing with a flat roof, but my neighbor doesn't want to... He wants to apply fibreglass to the existing lead to fix his roof leaks (and said I should do the same). My builder has said this won't work though, and will only lead to more cracks and leaks as the lead expands and contracts in he heat....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This is terrible advice and incorrect. You can't freely do what you like with regards to existing drainage.

Where are you intending the flat roof drains and falls to. Draw a new roof overlay on the existing. How are you planning on supporting this flat roof, in particular the "gable" created in neighbour was not yo proceed with detail.

Advertisement