Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kia EV9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭staples7

Could be a 70k upgrade. Maybe she just really really likes Kia’s 😂. With pcp it’s basically free 😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭sk8board

1.9% from Kia

€20/25k deposit, 36x €800pm and still have maybe €35k balloon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Ouch ! You’d want to want one pretty badly to sign up to that mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭derekreilly

Did Dun Laoghaire to Belmullet in the EV9 a few weeks ago. Getting between 23kWh/100km and 25kWh/100km.

Not bad for a fridge on wheels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Seen one of these up close today. Absolute massive yoke. Good look to anyone parking one in between two cars.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Is it bigger than a Rangerover?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭creedp

Range Rover is bigger in every dimension, 5052x1990x1870 (LxWxH). I have a new found respect for wealthy drivers😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Watched the video earlier - you'll have to start doing Malin head to Mizen head as your coast to coast any more 🤔. When you can do Belmullet to Dun Laoghaire on a single charge and still have 100km left in the tank, it's not the challenge it once was :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭derekreilly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The car we ordered arrived at the dealer today, quick!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭mailforkev

My Mrs had an XC90 for a bit, I didn’t like driving it at all, was constantly aware of the size. Although the 450 hp was nice. Our XC60 was a much nicer size.

Am looking forward to seeing an EV9, still haven’t seen one in real life.

A few pages back, I said I thought xc90 drivers would be looking at this as a 7-seater replacement when they see the price of the upcoming electric xc90. This is cheap by comparison and seems to have similar bonafides

Fully agree this is a very big car compared to the family car norm to date

Ive had an smax for years amd find it grand except it can be a tight squeeze in a few older underground car parks. The EV9 is 60mm wider than the smax so would make it a lot more difficult to park in tight spaces.

My wife hates parking the smax so Id be thinking she'd flatly refuse to drive the EV9. Its all relative I suppose as its comparable in width to a RR, Disco, X5, Touraeg and only sligjtly wider than an iX, Q7. However anyone used to driving a std crossover might find it fairly daunting especially in urban driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭MarkN

I’ve been driving one since Monday and fairly quickly have become used to the size. It’s not easy to navigate on school runs etc and you feel the anti SUV eyes looking and tutting but if you truly need this size, it is an excellent vehicle for the job.

Post edited by MarkN on

Pretty much fills that car space. Wondering how easy to access car if another EV9 was parked in adjacent spot?

You’ll be able to drive it out with the fob on that model. Not sure about the earth spec. Again, my main fear with ours will be the size and I’ve tons of experience with large 7 seaters. It doesn’t feel that huge when you’re driving it, unlike say a Range Rover, where I’m always aware of the volume of the thing… could also be to do with ride height though.

Yeah the ride height is not on a Range level at all. You can actually sit fairly low down with the adjustable options too.

I’d say they’ll be doing well to shift 400 of them in Ireland in 2024 so the odds of being parked next to another one apart from on a Kia forecourt are probably slim! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Will you be giving us a YT review of the year @MarkN? What's been your 2023 favourite?

Post edited by mailforkev on

Well Ware @MarkN

Ive been fairly taken by the EV9 since the concept a few years back so much so that I started this thread. Went to view it in the flesh and even the earth model is a cracking car. Inside and out, probably one of the best cars ive seen in a showroom. Sports cars aside.

As we see the Teslas and VW EV's drop in price the more difficult it is for me to justify. It would be handy with our 3 kids but the model Y is doing great for the last 9 months.

Everyone is different and I have no outstanding finance for the Model Y but I just can't sell it to myself to put 50k onto of it to jump.

im going to spent some hard earned money on Solar and a job on the house next year. Boring I know :(

• Advertisement

Not my car, just the custodian over Christmas.

Actually swapped into a grey one today, picture for size context.

Fine bus to have for the holidays. Have KIA Ireland many of these registered ? Might be a bit of value in some high spec 232 demo models in a few months time.

4 of them on fleet. Probably move them on in 6 months I’d say.

A good idea to do one, I think I’d have to seriously motivate myself to do it more though!

Some of the favourites this year in no particular order…

Lexus RS450h+ - just a lovely thing to get around in

Ioniq 6 - mad looking but really efficient

VW MultiVan - very practical and spacious

VW ID.7 - overhangs are a little weird but lovely interior

Nissan X-Trail - major step up from the last and actually quite a premium feel

BMW i7 - the only way to be driven around ;)

RR Sport - don’t think you’d need the full fat RR anymore

Audi RS3 - a hoot to drive and can do the weekly shop!

Polestar 3 - lovely inside but haven’t driven

Probably would add the EV9 to the list to be honest, when you look how far Kia have come, in a relatively short space of time etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The blue one was nicer. Nicer colour and nicer wheels. Which is the higher spec one?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Would agree because that black wheel arch surround on the grey one makes the what Im sure are 20"+ wheels look tiny IMO

Same wheels, same spec.

I’ve done two videos with the blue now so I wanted to change it up.

The latest pricing on the Volvo EX90 is €122,000, starting.

the top spec EV9 feels like a bargain if you’re shopping both. €40k is a lot of sugar to help swallow any badge problems!

Cheaper EX90 to follow that will likely be the volume seller. The Ultra version available currently has air suspension etc. that lots of buyers don’t want or need. A KIA EV9 will always be cheaper though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭pad199207

Planning to view this in a showroom. Still think it’s an absurd an amount of money for a Kia.

But still curious….

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Your probably looking at around 250 to 300km on the motorway here then during Winter especially if your using it as intended. Nobby probably being a bit generous with 350km in his latest video. Diesel 7 seater probably makes more sense all things considered.

Some very quick initial thoughts on this. Haven't really had a chance for a proper drive. It really doesn't seem that large, this is helped by the surround cameras, which are a big step up in implementation vs the Sorento PHEV. Also, the hybrid rear view mirror is big help - didn't realise this was there when ordering.

Wireless CarPlay is only just being rolled out OTA in the US at the moment, should be anyday here according to the dealer. Bit annoying. Also, spent 15 minutes trying to get the wired working, only to realise I need to hit a button next to the socket!

First car I've seen with Apple's car key.

I've never felt the need to comment on the comfort of a headrest, but these jump out they're so good.

6 seat configuration makes accessing the back row a piece of piss, even for adults.

Don't like the haptics buttons onto dash, fortunately, lots of real buttons.

Car key feels brittle (may be just the impression of the material), especially when you're using the remote control and are quickly using buttons on both sides. Bit too much flex.

Overall the quality of the car feels incredibly well put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 John Cronin 2014

Just A Word Of Warning Guys, There’s A Huge Design Fault With Kia’s EV9 Front Row Headrests..!! 

If anyone is thinking of purchasing the new Kia EV9, there’s a problem with the front row Headrests, they are protruding a massive 180-200mm (7-8 inches) forward from the front face of the seat, forcing your sitting posture into a Forward Head position.

I collected our EV9 in the first week of January 2024 and took it for a 140km drive. When I sat back into the seat throughout the trip, I couldn’t get my head into a comfortable neutral position as the headrest just will not adjust backwards. After that one journey, I suffered excruciating neck and shoulder pain, I’ve spent the last 2 weeks on pain relief and physio.

I contacted Kia about this Design Fault and sent photos of the headrest protruding forward 180-200mm and forcing me into a Forward Head position, see below. I asked Kia if they were going to redesign the headrest but Customer Service got back today and said that since I had taken the EV9 for a test drive, I should have noticed the problem before I purchased the vehicle, Kia have said they won’t be designing a neutral Headrest for people with good posture..!! 

So, if you have good posture and you sit with your head in the correct neutral position while driving, I strongly advise you, Do Not Purchase the Kia EV9. The Headrest is designed only for people that suffer with a Forward Head condition, Please Be Warned..!!

Post edited by liamog on

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eltoastero

I sat in an EV9 the other day (while getting my EV6 serviced) and didn't notice the headrest protruding uncomfortably far (it felt very natural like my EV6).

You can adjust the horizontal position of the EV6 headrest but it's not obvious how to do it. You have to pull the headrest towards your head (towards the windshield) and it will ratchet into place in 2 or 3 different positions, but once it gets to it's most extended position (closest to the windshield) it then springs back it's least extended position (furthest from the windshield).

I would assume the same functionality exists in the EV9 given how similar the seat design is, I hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement

Would you not consider buying 2 new replacement front headrests from some other Kia model ? Obviously ones that suit your posture, physically fit a Kia EV9 seat and are a reasonable colour match to your upholstery. I’m presuming here that the headrests are removable like most cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Have you considered trying to return it or if you otherwise like the EV9 insist they provide alternative headrests? Some useful info here

The EV9's headrests have the same 3 ratchet movement as the EV6, but the EV9's three options are 180mm, 190mm and 200mm forward from the front face of the seat. Headrests in the EV6 don't protrude as far forward.

Looked into swapping different headrest, but the rods centre to centre measurement on the headrests that attaches to the seat don't match the EV9 seat.

It's an option that we may have to explore if a satisfactory solution is not found..!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Surely a metal work shop could swap the bars from the EV9 headrest to an EV6 headrest and then someone who does upholstery could redo the upholstery once done?

Did you not pick up on this issue on the test drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭k123456

I would ask for an incident number , when you report this to Kia Ireland, this gives you confirmation, the issue has been logged on their system. You will also need names of those you have dealt with, and I would ask for staff numbers ie an id number. An incident number is important

Once you have these, or indeed a record of those who decine to provide same, mention that you will escalate directly of board of directors for KIA.

You will be amazed at how quickly you will get a meaningful response

The EV6 headrest won't work.

I didn't notice it on the 3km test drive, it's only when I went for a 140km journey that I found the headrest wouldn't allow me to sit back fully into the seat and have my head in a comfortable neutral position, instead it kept forcing me into a Forward Head position.

I doubt if KIA will do anything for you and you’ll need to find your own solution or workaround. I’ve seen several motoring journalists reviews of the EV9 and none of them mentioned any discomfort with the headrests. Nobby on cars had use of one for about 2 weeks over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dascoop

Anyone getting much of a discount on the sticker price at the stealers for a new EV9 GT 7-seater? If yes, what are you paying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

I got a very decent trade in offer for a 2.5 year old KIA Sorento PHEV of €44k but price of the EV9 didn’t move but it’s all about cost to change anyway and not how they write it on the sales quote.

Although when I went next door to get a trade-in for an ID4 they offered €45k trade-in so they could probably do better. They didn’t really push hard on the sale as they had very little stock allocation this year. I’m sure it will be different when stock is more readily available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

So did they offer you 45k against an id4 for a 2.5 year old Sorento? That would be more or less straight swap wouldn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

Yeah, I had added a few extra bits to the id4 and was going to come in at closer to €50k so would have had to put in almost €5k. Still thinking about it, wanted to see what the Enyaq price drops were going to be but don’t think they have released updated pricing for the newer models.

Id say we will just keep the Kia Sorento now though, we don’t need the 7 seats but they are handy to have and the boot is massive when not using them. Hybrid is super cheap to run and after arriving to Donegal in it last night was just saying to the wife it was great not having to wait somewhere for 30mins to charge the i4.

€11K off the new price for a GT line on a 232 plate with 5K km’s. New car smell for a few weeks is hardly worth €11K. https://www.donedeal.ie/view/35799307

Any feedback on those who have made the purchase? Spot one every now and then.

There is a parent at our school with one and it looks damn awkward to manovere, could be her also….

• Advertisement
Advertisement