Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LG TV and Digital Rights Management

• 15-03-2023 12:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

I'd like to watch All4 on my LG TV - 43NANO766QA . All4 is not available as an app on this model so I used the built in web browser to go to the All4 website, logged in with my username/PW all the programmes come up and everything looks like it's all ready to go but when I select a show to watch after a few seconds I get an error message that it won't play as Digital Rights Management is not enabled.

I went to the settings on the web browser but there is no option in the settings for Digital Rights Management to enable. I can watch the programme on my laptop but I'd much prefer to watch on the TV - why I got a smart TV in the first place!

Any advice please on how/if I can fix this?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

you would need a vpn also unless your in ulster

firestick has the best all4 app setup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭decor58

I have a different model set up as UK for broadcasting and services and can get All4, that might work. I did set it up as Ireland first to get RTE and TG4 players and then switched to UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭ingalway

I have a VPN set up on my laptop but it does not seem possible to set up on the TV. I went to the Google Play Store via the TV browser, on to the download page of my VPN provider but it says there is no eligible device to install the app on.

I think I messed around with the location settings in the past and I lost the Irish channels when I switched to UK. I'm cross eyed from looking at it now so will try it tomorrow. Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There is no discussion of circumventing regional restrictions here.

However, All4 is available here legally (other than live streaming) via web browser, iOS, Android and other connected tv platforms so I’m not sure why it’s not available on LG webos. The point being that you should have other ways to access it if webOS doesn’t work. The webOS browser is rubbish, to put it mildly, and in my view isn’t suitable for, well, anything really. You could pick up a Chromecast or Fire stick relatively cheaply.

• Advertisement

I actually do have a Chromecast which I took out of my old TV and put it away as I didn't think I'd need it anymore with my new 'smart' TV! Looks like I'll need to dig it out.

You’ll find with smart TVs as well that their smart features get less smart as they go along anyway. I barely use the smart features on my LG now, the experience on Apple TV (and even on Sky Q) is so much better. I had a previous TV with the pre-webOS LG smart tv software and it was barely usable by the time I got rid of the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Options for getting All 4 on LG TVs here in Ireland are...

Chromecast from your mobile phone - All 4 app

Bluetooth from your laptop - web browser (slight lip sync issue)

HDMI cable from your laptop to TV - web browser

They are the only 3 ways I've managed to get it working anyway

Apple TV, Fire TV and Sky Q (which is branded All4 but isn’t really the same as the app) all work too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

The new chromecast with google tv is decent you can install all the players and All 4 and integrates with LG remote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭fman

Not sure if they are still on the shelves or not but the Irish now TV sticks came with the all4 player too.

Thanks for the advice from everyone. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭archfi

I don't think All4 works directly on Android TV OS, ie your google chromecast dongle old or new.

There's no TV OS All4 app for it but you can cast from your phone etc.

My LG smart TV does have a native All4 but I don't use the built-in ones at all.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Yeah annoyingly there's no All 4 app for Android TV so chromecasting is the only way. The Firestick does have it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,148 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

in fairness, my LG TV seems to get regular app updates and I don't notice any difference between the TV apps and the ones on my Firestick or SkyQ.

The old software was much worse. I think at the end only Netflix and YouTube worked. My webOS TV is 2016 vintage or thereabouts and I don’t find it bad but just the Apple TV is way better user experience wise and abetter selection of apps. Sky Q (which I’m about to ditch) is a bit slower than the Apple TV but has convienece on its side but as I say the catch up on that is a different experience to using an app. I’m not sure why Sky never moved from download to streaming when Sky Q launched, it may have been to maintain backwards comparability with Sky+HD.

Just don’t go near that LG web browser. For anything. Pick up your phone tablet laptop…anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I have a recent LG TV with WebOS22 and the All4 App works fine. I think I had to set the TV region to UK to install it, but can't be sure. I just checked and it is working as normally I just use Apple TV.

Advertisement