Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v England Grand Slam Decider 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭touts

You turn sideways and lead with your shoulder or elbow then you should expect a red. Stay straight on and take the hit and you stay on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

We would be fuming if that was an Ireland player , slow mos can be bolix sometimes

I know protecting hits to the head is really important now and rightly so but that feels incredibly harsh, no huge amount of force and was not exactly a swinging arm (maybe I’m just biased) but that’s the game as a contest anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

if he had time to turn elbow into a position to make head contact he had time to decide not to do that.

f..ing stupid not to go wide in that last play

• Registered Users Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Would much rather we were further ahead, but I'm glad we have the lead considering how strongly England started that half. They're conceding a lot of penalties now and hopefully that will continue in the second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

England chuffed there to not concede a try.. let’s hope we keep the pressure and intensity right from the whistle now..

Exactly, if he'd turned in the other direction, it would have been head to chest, nowhere near as dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭A-Train

Ireland are leading but they’re not on it today at all. Summed up with the plays at the end of the half and not being able to score.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,495 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

No amount of force? 110 kg player hitting your head will hurt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheRona

For me, at worst is was 'passive', like Porter on Retallick in NZ (although that situation was much easier for the tackler to prepare for the tackle). Keenan ran into Steward and Steward braced for impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Blatantly…wtf is the touch judge at on that far side ? Needs a white stick and a labrador,

I was sure Peyper was racking his brain on how not to issue that red, and exhausting every angle and some, he was almost disappointed and apologetic issuing it given his tone and body language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

stats

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭fitz

At full speed in real time it looked like it was going to be a card. He can have no complaints, he could have soaked contact. Instead, he tucked his arm, turned and drove up into contact.

Players not respecting laws that are there to prevent serious head injuries is the problem, not the slo-mo showing them doing so.

England have been very strong so far. What do you want? For us to be out of sight? We’re 10-6 up against a strong opposition.

Well of course, no ‘huge’ amount of force, it wasn’t a full blooded tackle was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭touts

They have a strategy to target the head. That was proven when Farrell quickly asked for Sexton to be sent for a HIA after a high tackle. You don't think of that unless you've discussed it in advance. They should have had a couple of yellows already and that red was 100% warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think Ireland are playing like a team expected to just show up and win in that first half. We don't do the favorites tag well in anything. They'll win now but looks like it won't be the most convincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

It's a clear red under the laws. Turned sideways, clear line of sight, no way he was getting that ball and elbowed Keenan in the head. Can't understand anyone even arguing with that.

Having said that, really sloppy from Ireland in turning that ball over with players out wide in acres of space. Golden opportunity to put a dagger in the heart of England and they let them off the hook. You could see the lift it gave the England players to survive that.

It wasn't a tackle

It was a shoulder charge. That's the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

You can’t hit the head in Rugby anymore. That’s the right way to go given what we know about the risk involved.

There’s no major need for him to turn there, you do that, you risk hitting head, you hit head, you get red.

It feels a little harsh but it’s a red all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I have major issues with anyone who says those "tackles" are not red cards. There was attempt at a tackle/wrap. He turned into Keenan. On top of that, Ireland lose their 1st choice full back and England lose a player for 10 mins.

My only issue is that theyre still not consistent in the reffing.

I am involved in coaching u10s. We work so so hard to teach the kids the art of tackling. Every kid in our team knows that's a red. This notion of mitigation is the worst thing that has happened rugby in recent years. It's creates a grey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭A-Train

No I expected this type of match before kick off as from my comments earlier in this thread pre kick off.

I do expect them to take advantage of the limited opportunities in the England 22.

Sloppy by Steward at best. If he had time to turn his shoulder and elbow into contact he had time to try to plant a foot and try to soak the tackle. If he did that he'd be looking at a yellow max. He's a 1.96m full back who's spent his entire career running up hard into typically shorter men.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

Clive Woodward talking through his rear end as usual.

Kearney talking nonsense!

Pundits on VM talking sh1te bar horgan

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

That was a straight red , he looked at keenan and than ran into his head

Not one bit harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I think their 15 was aiming for a body check. Was not a benign move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

Which player did England lose for 10 minutes?

Did I miss a yellow card?

Advertisement