Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows File and Folder Permissions

• 15-03-2023 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I restored some files and folders from a windows XP .bkf file on a usb drive onto the c: drive of a windows 10 machine.

When I try to open any file e.g., a text file I get a permission denied message. I checked and have full permissions.

The original file xp location was c:\document and settings\administrator\desktop\

Any ideas on how I can open the files?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Can't you take control of the files? Possibly right click - properties - security - advanced?

The security identifiers that the XP machine created won't match the ones files created on your new machine so just because you can see your name having permission doesn't mean you can access it on the new machine as they system sees something completely different. Although normally when that happens you just see gibberish names for the file owner(s).

Also try removing your access rights then adding them back again.

Wake me up when it's all over.

hi,

.bkf are backup files created by Windows Backup utility. Unfortunately they used an older version for NT thru XP & you will need to download some software to view these bkf’s in W10 it can’t be done nativity.

Alternatively you can view them on an XP machine.

This would not be a permissions problem either despite the message.

You can convert or view them in software (just google .bkf xp conversion or viewer or whatever)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I extracted the files ok to the windows 10 machine. I was having no problems opening any files until I tried files at the path above. These gave the permission refusal message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

taking "ownership" on folder let you see the folder, but not the contents, unless you sellect box to propagate to all subcontainers and objects

and/or you might need to change permission for your user from "This folder only" to "This folder, subfolders and files" on root folder if inheritance in place, or per subfolder if no inheritance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Try taking "ownership" of the folder, by:

1. Right-click the top level folder that you extracted
    2. Click Properties
    3. Select Security tab
    4. Click Advanced
    5. Click Change beside the owner name, locate your own user name and select it
    6. Check the box for "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"
    7. Click Apply

I think that should give you access now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

at what folder level do you have permissions? you could try this at an admin command prompt:

To reset permissions for a folder, its files, and subfolders, run the command icacls "full path to the folder" /reset /t /c /l

Though Evelyn Weak Tweet suggests it's not a permissions issue - Evelyn Weak Tweet, what's the issue that results from restoring a backup from an older version of NTFS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If nothing else works the nuclear option is to create a bootable Linux USB key, boot off it navigate to the folder in windows then copy the files off to another USB key/drive. Linux will take no notice of the MS Windows permissions.

Nothing on the Windows install will be damaged and when finished you can boot back into Windows.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I'm away from the machine for a while.

I needed to get a text file containing web logins that was on the xp machine administrator profile desktop (I used the administrator account on that machine). The machine is long gone but I remembered I had the backup on the usb drive.

I plugged the usb drive into a windows 10 laptop and downloaded the nt5backup cab file, extracted and ran ntbackup.exe. I brought up the bkf file in ntbackup explorer and started to drill down through the backup file folder structure. I spotted a folder of old family photos so restored those first on their own. This worked fine, I could open them in 10.

I then started another restore. Browsed to profiles\administrator and selected the Desktop folder. I left the retain security option ticked (problem?). Ran restore but the log when finished showed some skipped files because of permissions. Some files did restore but none will open. Don't see a pattern.

Thanks for the suggestions, will give them a go when I get back to the laptop.

Edit: I'm an administrator on the 10 machine.

• PowerShell is one option to alter permissions, but messier than chmod on Linux.

• Advertisement
Advertisement