Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Astra - engine problem

• 15-03-2023 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭

Hi

My wife's '06 Astra lost power the other day on the way home. TBF, the engine hasn't been in great shape (drinks a good but of oil and is prone to overheating) for a while but it was grand for short journeys.

I just had a look at it and when you turn the key to start, there's just a whirring sound and you can see the alternator belt (also connected to the crank shaft and the power steering I think) turning fairly freely but the engine isn't turning over.

Going to ring roadside assist later but any ideas what the problem is here? I'm thinking it might be fairly f*cked

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It wouldn't be worth fixing anyway so best scrape it. It would be a used engine that is needed and a garage would charge a fair bit for that plus the cost of the engine and while you are doing that work you may as well get a new timing belt and water pump plus clutch and maybe even a flywheel. So all that money going into a 06 astra is not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭MacDanger

That's probably what I'll end up doing alright but any idea what the problem is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭mk7r

Timing chain snapped?

That's what I'm thinking but I'm just wondering if there's anything else it could be. The water pump & timing belt were done just before Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭mk7r

Is it petrol? It won't have a timing belt at all if it is?

• Advertisement

Yes, petrol 1.4L. Is it a timing chain then? Was certain he said the timing belt was done

Turned the ignition with the oil cap off and I can see the camshaft rotating so it doesn't look like it's the timing chain.

Have a video of it, will try to put it on YouTube and posting it

Post edited by MacDanger on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blackbox

If the crankshaft pulley and camshaft rotating, the engine must be turning over. It sounds like there is no compression (and expensive to fix)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Sounds to me like a starter motor - solenoid not engaging will give a whirring sound.

When the chain goes on these it sounds like someone rattling stones in a tin can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭sumo12

If I recall correctly, some of those engines snapped camshafts. Can't remember if it was the one visible through the oil cap when turning over. They all broke at the same spot, just ahead of the first clamp. Get someone to whip off the rocker cover and you'll know. As someone else said earlier though, it isn't worth repairing and any second hand engine you'll get will have exactly the same issues you already have - drinking oil, head gasket failure etc

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

LE1 OR LE2 engines were the ones usually affected. 1.2 usually. A few 1.4s but they were in the later astras - 2016 onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

Don't scrap it. They are a good strong car

Ah now come on now did you even read the OP. It's not worth fixing. You would pump more money into it to fix it than it's worth and it's not exactly a car or engine combo where that's in high demand like a Civic b16 VTEC engine.

Just to close out on this - head gasket gone so the car is off to the scrapyard

Advertisement