Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuath housing

Options
  • 15-03-2023 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi is anyone a tenant of Tuath and if so are you happy with them? Do they do a annual inspection of every room in your home including private bedrooms every year? Very humiliating!! Plus seemingly council also inspect a Tuath house once a year?

Has anyone experiencedon this process? I understand the 1sz Yr to see how u are as a tenant but every Yr for the rest of ur life is humiliating 😳😟🙄

And do they have a rent assessment every year?

Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2 potato positioner

When you dont have the money to buy a place or even to rent a place,an annual inspection of the house they let you rent is a small price to pay,especially at the highly subsidised rent you will get it from them at, 30 quid a week i believe, you cant really complain.

Especially the way things are at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Anomymous

M, God if it was 30 a week I'd be laughing where do u get the 30 a week idea????

Explain... Very patronising comment.

My husbands dead so I can't afford a mortgage.. Not a nice person are you

• Registered Users Posts: 25,935 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

With council or housing association income related rentals, you will pay approx 30% of your allowable income up to a (very low) limit. Often that amounts to about €30

With a private sector rental, the whole property should be inspected every three months by the owner, and every three years by the council. The property owner has a right to assurance that you're not using it for illegal purposes, and an obligation to look for maintenance issues. (Yeah, I know it doesn't always happen. But the provision is there.)

With council and housing association, I'd expect an inspection at three months, and then ideally annually - for much the same reasons. They will also ask for annual income declarations. And if neighbours complain about you having undeclared extra people staying, they will investigate these complaints including with an inspection, especially of sleeping arrangements.

There is nothing particularly private about a room that you use for sleeping. The inspectors don't care what colour your duvet or pyjamas is, or if you have whips/chains etc lying around. They do care about how many people and animals are living there, and about signs of illegal activites.

My brother is in Tuath housing. He has had one inspection but it was merely to ascertain any repairs that needed to be done. It was not intrusive or invasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭Xterminator

there is probably a man in kerry whos mortgage is two shillings. So everyone who has a mortgage is paying 2 shillings. dunno what their all complaining about. /S

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This has nothing do with Feedback. Moved to a forum that's actually related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

For the OP, back to her original query. The likelihood is that Tuath will only be able to inspect your property once every 4 years or so. They have a huge portfolio so I would be surprised if they could manage every year. 25% of their stock annually would be reasonable. Inspections would normally be carried out without any judgement, it is to protect their asset, but also it is a good touch-point for any tenants who may be vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They contract another company who carries out the inspections, they also work with several other housing provider's,

No Tuath don't contract others for inspections... They have their own housing officers do the inspections as that's what happened with our estate.

They contract out any repairs needing done.

I get what you are saying and I'm glad your brother didn't find it intrusive but everyone is different... Personally I did find it horrific and invasive.. Iv a child with special needs and she hated a stranger been in her bedroom.. She found it upsetting

• Advertisement

Mrs bumble!!! Let me te u iv never paid 30e rent ever its always been higher.. What world do u live in.. Iv neve pd a measly 30e. And my question was never about rent!! 🙄🙄

In the last

Too obvious... Id be happy out at a full inspection every 4 yrs but so far iv had one on the button 12 months after I moved in so I'd say my next one will be 12 months again after... Maybe in Dublin it's every 4 yrs but in a country area I'd say they are able to do the yrly... Iv also within the 12 months had a fu council engineer inspection.. So 2 sets of strangers plodding through the carpets and floors I pd myself to put in.... It makes me feel like it's not my forever home... Nobody on this forum has picked up on what I'm trying to convey.. Im ulta private in my life.. My homes my sanctuary... But after 24 months here 2 sets of letters and 2 sets of inspections.. I think that's too much in my opinion.

Nope it was my tuath housing officer came here to inspect... Not outsiders.. Are u a Tuath tenant that didn't have tuath insect by them personally???

@gatling.....explain? What's really simple??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,644 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Some of the councils sub out inspections to other companies. Those are for compliance with housing regulations for rented houses, not just social housing. Most of the housing associations such as Tuath have their own inspectors (surveyors, housing officers etc) who do inspections for the upkeep of their properties. However the council (or a company they hire) may also carry out inspections to make sure Tuath as a landlord are complying with rental regulations.

Regardless OP, yes, Tuath will periodically carry out inspections of the property. All landlords, private and social, are entitled to do so once they give the required notice, in order to make sure the condition of the property is okay, or identify works that need to be carried out (which may be more obvious to them than you as it's their job). It would also be part of the agreement for becoming a Tuath tenant and would be the same for all housing associations. You could outline any concerns you may have and see if they can work around it, but they need to do the inspections as part of their job, and that includes bedrooms. Considering how many houses and inspections they have to do, they're not going to even notice any personal items/clothes in the bedroom.

@penn

Thank u for that info... Good to know..

Its been such a shock to me as id been with council 12 yrs and they never once inspected but moved to tuath and have had 2 in 18 months..

You can appreciate the difference in procedures. The ironic thing is its the same council I was with for yrs that's inspecting this house..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,935 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So organise the inspection for a time when your kid is in school or day-programme or whatever. No need for them to even know about it.

As long as you need to be housed by someone else, you need to get over the privacy hangup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Whatever is in your lease agreement is what you have signed up to, no point complaining after the fact, although you can always give the house up...

• Advertisement

Charmer indeed.. You must be surrounded by living kind people like your good self... Ps I'm been sarcastic 😡uncaring cold people like u make me sick

Obumbe if uv nothing nice to Say keep it to ur nasty self

I only asked other TUATH TENENTS HERE FOR THEIR OPINION... U NARROW MINDED FOLK WHO HAVE LEFT NASTY COMMENTS CAN BOG OFF AND HOPE KARMA NEVER LANDS U IN A SITUATION WHERE U CAN'T OWN UR OWN HOUSE

Its hardly humiliating, horrific and invasive that the owner of the property wants to inspect it at regular intervals to ensure you are looking after it. There is also a legal requirement that they ensure the safety equipment is operational and the unit is habitable. I think you are overacting a little here.

It may just be a combination of timing, where Tuath have carried out one or two additional inspections considering it's the first year of your tenancy, and then just timing where the council (or company engaged by the council) are carrying out inspections of those properties in the estate anyway (which they do approx every 4 years). It could be the case where you end up with very few inspections (if any) for the next 3-4 years.

But from what I understand, you're just more likely to have inspections with housing associations than with the actual council, but housing associations are also better when it comes to repairs, property upkeep works etc. Gotta take the good with the bad.

What safety equipment are you talking about??? If ur bank decided to inspect ur home twice a year as u don't own it out right yet would u be happy? Fairs fair once every 3 years wud be acceptable but twice a year is not and im entitled to my opinion.! You have NO RIGHT SEENG AS U DON'T KNOW ME TO SAY I OVER REACT.. U DON'T KNOW MY LIFE OR WHAT OTHER STRESS I DEAL WITH ON A WEEKLY BASIS. COMPASSION OR EMPATHY FOR OTHERS IS NOT UR STRONG POINT I TAKE IT??

FUTHER MORE THIS HOUSE IS MY FOREVER HOME AND WHEN I GOT IT THERE WAS CEMENT FLOORS IN HALL AND SITTING ROOM SO I FORKED OUT 4 GRAND ON FLOORING UPSTAIRS AND DOWN AND CARPETED THE STAIRS AS IT WAS UNVARNISHED ETC SO I'M HARDLY OUT TO DESTROY MY HOME PLUS BLINDS THROUGHOUT EVERY WINDOW... SO DONT BOTHER TO COMMENT UR VILE AGAIN

I agree there... Tuath are fantastic at repairs promptly compared to council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Bang of entitlement in this thread.

I would think it would be fair for the owner of an asset to be able to inspect it regularly to see what needs fixing etc to keep it in tip top shape.

Typical safety items in a bedroom that are landlord responsibility would include safety restrictors on windows, making sure there's adequate ventilation with wall vents or vents in the window frame and making sure they're not blocked/closed, and smoke detectors.

All landlords, not just social housing associations, are responsible for these items (whereas a bank wouldn't be responsible just because you have a mortgage with them). Private landlords are just less likely to carry out inspections until there's an issue. Housing associations are more likely to inspect in order to prevent any issues occuring, as given the amount of houses they have it'd just be part of a regular property check schedule. Chances are they'd have been doing the same inspections to most of the other houses in your estate as well.

• Advertisement

In fairness you asked on a fourm for opinions but from your all CAP responses and jumping down the throat of anyone that doesn't agree with you I can see you are not one to over react and are probably a most reasionable person.

Heat/smoke alarms, fire escapes and fire extinguishers but to name a few safety installations that would require routine inspection.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement