Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtight membrane problem on new build attic conversion

Options
  • 15-03-2023 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Any advice for me, I recently got my attic converted in my new build house by a builder who was recommended by a friend. The job was done well apart from one major and very important part, the airtight membrane was not installed correctly and taped all around, I can feel a draft coming in through wall sockets and under the skirting boards. The attic is much colder than the rest of the house as you'd expect. What's the solution? Rip the plasterboard out and redo? It's a nightmare. Any help is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Biker1

Sadly this is a common issue with attic conversions. Probably looking at removing the plasterboard and fixing the problem with the airtight layer and maybe the insulation as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭grimeire

It sounds like no air tightness membrane was used if it's that bad. I only have it around the veluxes in my attic and there's barely any draft unless it's a very very windy day. Attics are very difficult to get air tight from my experience.

Depending on where the drafts are coming from you will have different options. You can take up skirting and tape from plasterboards to floor.

Around windows/VELUX you and either take off plaster put on airtightness tape and replaster or you can put some air tightness tape over existing plaster and plaster over it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

How much would redoing the plasterboards cost? 10 grand or so?

Advertisement