Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend visiting for 3 months, what sort of SIM card options are there?

Options
  • 15-03-2023 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't really looked into it, but can she just buy a SIM card in Tesco or whatever and top it up without a permanent address (or utility bill) requirement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,383 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes you can pick up a SIM at any checkout in Tesco, can get credit added at the same time and it's up and running. In store as far as I know Vodafone and possibly Three will give you a Pay As You Go Sim there and then, just need to add credit for it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

grand.. and options like 48 need a more permanent address I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

48 needs an address and the SIM is posted out

Postmobile needs an address; but its not verified and you can get the SIM in post offices, and top up when you want rather than giving direct debit details. I used it for a single month while waiting for a 48 SIM to arrive in the post - place it was being used has much better 3 coverage than Vodafone so its not been used since; but it was fairly painless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Last time i shopped, Three ask for personal details , but just to fill up the forms so "Santa from North pole avenue" would do - rep words, when i asked: "what for...."

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭rhinosaurious

If you drop into Vodafone they’ll give you one without any documents or address and you can just top up as you go from online or in store.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Lycamobile also used to give out free SIMs, you could get them in phone repair shops, etc. I don't know anything about their coverage or customer service, though.

I'd second 48 as an option - you could get it in your name and transfer it to your friend afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Yeah I can always get the 48 sent here and give it to her when she arrives.

They seem to have the best coverage from what I understand, at least when I go to Leitrim my 3 reception is dire but my sister's 48 works 🙄

Advertisement