Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP private clinics

Options
  • 15-03-2023 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Who can I complain to about the poor service from GP clinic?. I also experienced intrusive questions from reception and tricked into paying for a service I taught was part of my GP consultation..Also how can I find out if receptionist is looking at my personal and medical history?Snooping. HIQA were of no help. There appears to be no regulation of private GP clinicsA. nyone know.

Post edited by KoolKid on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭apache

I know I don't like my GP's receptionist knowing my personal details but she does. She knows everything. I have to learn to accept this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You change GPs, if you can. Not an option in lots of places.

The receptionist is going to see everything, always have, always will.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

This is the GPS (Global Positioning System) forum...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭apache

Dunno if this is a genuine thread considering where it was posted, but put it this way, all medical admin staff have access to medical records, most especially GP practice admin staff who are in a position of more trust than many. They are the people who triage calls & appointments, and administer the patient records & assemble data, as that’s their job, what they are paid to do. There’s no way of circumventing, but if you feel particularly uncomfortable about the manner in which the admin staff carries out this duty then one needs to change GP - if that’s an option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Moved from GPS.

You might get better input here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Some Doctors' Receptionists are so invaluable to the running of the Surgery, most GP's would be unable to run an efficient surgery without them.

They are a wealth of knowledge and usually screen (triage) patients. They know your medical details, of course they do ! It's their job! They also know all about Social Welfare Entitlements, sick certs etc.

What service were you 'tricked' into paying ?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Biker68

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Didn’t know it was in the GpS section. Well it was a blood pressure monitor which I assumed was part of the consultation. Want told of the charge when arranging the appointment but told later by the manager of the clinic I should have been told. Not stingy about money but should have been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

They are looking at details of different patients every few minutes.

They probably have forgotten your name two minutes after you are gone.

If you have any issue, then it is the head of the practice you take it up with. But whether it's a gp or a restaurant, added extras are usually charged for

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

• Advertisement

I remember when getting a blood pressure monitor from a private hospital it was something like €120 a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

My wife used one recently, and it cost €80, up from €50 last year. from her GP.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you ask for a referral to your local hospital outpatient service, they will probably do BP 24 hour monitor for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Last time I got one from St Vincent’s, it took about a month to get organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

Buy a blood pressure monitor in Aldi/Lidl and do it yourself as often as you wish.

If you are concerned then arrange a 24hr. monitor at your local hospital/primary care centre.

if your GP I consider it urgent then they will expedite.

Advertisement