Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Eating :P

• 16-03-2023 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Just a question about about something. I could maybe say something that's part of an Irish man's staple diet lol That something is scampi fries. I cant resist buying packets of them in the local shop everytime I get some beer :D Just wondering is there any nutrition in them lol like is it ok the eat a few packets of em during the week on the top of the beer or is it bad for your diet ? I have fond memories of them when I was a kid in the pub with my parents, uncles, aunts and cousins Munching away on them with lemonade. It also reminds me of the scene in the film "The Van" The bit at 0:15 seconds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQyCfTtjq3Y "thats not a dinner" lol and me asking if they are nutritional Well they say cereal snack of the packet. Speaking of The Van, Here's a few classic clips of Jimmy Rabitte Senior aka Dessie Curley aka Larry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV2_MUBGHHM just for the craic since, I mentioned the film and also because, its an Irish film and Paddy's day is just around the corner. Hope someone gets a laugh at looking back through the clips of one of the best old 90's Irish films we have. I think The Van, The Commitments and The Snapper have to be the best ones Oh and "The Butcher Boy"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭STEE

On a serious note though is it bad eating a few packets of scampi fries ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,889 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

If the rest of your diet is good then a packet or two of scampi fries a week isn't going to kill you. I'm going to go out on a limb here, though, and take a wild guess that your overall diet probably isn't that great, in which case you're just adding even more junk.

A) what's a typical day's eating for you,

B) how many packets a week is "a few", and

C) how many beers a week are we talking here?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭STEE

Typical days eating is usually just one meal a day. Just me dinner then maybe sometimes Id eat something at night but, most weeks its just the one meal. I started eating the scampi fries a few weeks ago. I went on a binge on the scampi fries for two weeks lol Beer is most nights, I like GUINNESS 4 packs with a bit of Blackcurrant added to the pint.

Well considering you were posting about losing weight six weeks ago, and have gone on a binge since, I suppose the answer would be that it is bad for your diet. Your four cans of Guinness and scampi fries each day would probably account for around half of the calories you should be on in order to lose weight, so if you can limit yourself to 1,000 calories elsewhere, you could probably lose weight and enjoy your beers and chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,624 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

OK. Your standard bag of scampi fries as sold in pubs holds 27g, which is one ounce in old money. The product contains no actual scampi and is not fried; this should be your first alarm bell. Although you'd never know it from the name, scampi fries are technically classed as an extruded cereal starch product. The largest single ingredient is vegetable oil, so you will be unsurprised to discover that they are nearly 25% fat. Another 4% is sugar, and nearly 3% is salt. (The salt makes you thirsty, which is why pubs like to sell them.) Another 55% is carbs other than sugar; most of this comes from breadcrumbs, maize and wheat flour. (That's the cereal starch.)

So, adding it all up, about 85% of the stuff is things in which it is very, very unlikely that your diet is deficient; most people concerned about healthy eating seek to limit their intake of fat, salt, sugar and other carbs, rather than increasing it. The whole thing weighs in at 132 kcal, which is more than in the bottle of Guinness that you might drink with it. In terms of a balanced diet the biggest problem is actually the salt; one pack gives you 13% of your recommended daily intake and, as we know, excessive salt consumption is associated with a variety of poor health outcomes.

So, eating a few packs of scampi fries does not make your diet healthier, no. How much unhealthier it makes it depends, as other have said, on how many packs is "a few".

• Advertisement
Advertisement